The problem with D&D

Brentos

First Post
Cool!

Storm Raven said:
To me, this could be the backdrop of an interesting campaign. While the heroes are off bashing one another, both countries are effectively stripped bare of leveled individuals. Leaving the door open for new heroes to handle the "local" problems those fighting in the war left behind. The answer to the question "where are all the other hereos" becomes "they are fighting each other at the gates of Troy".

Wow, that is the coolest plot hook I've seen in a long while! I love it!

Jawar

First Post
Crothian said:
Actually you can. There are rules in there for one to buy any power from any prestige class. That book is also one person's view of balance and not universally accepted.

Yes, you are right, Crothian: one can buy any power from any PrC.
And it's a one person's view of balance, although a mathematical one of sorts.

But what I was trying to say is that, with Buy the Numbers, if you ever tried to buy ALL the goodies both of those fine PrClasses offer (good BABs, spell progression and D10s, not to mention other cool stuff), you would need quite a lot more experience than it would normally would take you to traditionally progress throughout those PrClasses.

That way, I find BtN - IMHO - more balanced than the traditional class/level system of D&D.

Urban Knight

First Post
papastebu said:
Not to be rude, but I also notice that you first posted last month, and now you are publicly ragging out a game that just about everyone here professes to love. Did you join just to insult people, or could there possibly be some other purpose to your tirade? Do you want an argument or help with these supposed problems?

Why is it people always say things like 'Not to be rude, but' just before being rude.

If you had taken the time to read through some of the posts, suggestions on different d20esq systems have been suggested and will be followed up on. There were also several people who agreed and offered their oppions, and who disagreed and offered their oppinions. Therefore the topic seems like a good one to me.

papastebu said:
P.S. I have just noticed that this post has been largely threadjacked. In this case, at least, I think this is a good thing.

It does appear that the focus of the thread has shifted to the power disparity issue and how to stat the Ilead.

However your post still ended on an insulting note and in my oppinion did not add much to the original discussion or the one about the Ilead.

Which while we are on the subject how do we explain a lvl 10 or 20 fighter being felled by an arrow to the heel?

painandgreed

First Post
S'mon said:
Because, if you follow the 3e DMG RAW on demographics, Achilles is F 20, Troy's spear carriers are War-1s, and Achilles wouldn't even notice they're there; after killing F-15 Hector he could walk into Troy any time he wanted.

Could somebody please explain the mechanics of this to me? One 20th level fighter versus several hundred Warrior 1s. (We shall ignore that he is Achilles and apparently has damage reduction since it wasn't mentioned above, only his level.) Given that every natural 20 hits. If the F20 faces and kills 20 new opponents every turn but they get attacks as people rush into the gap, and 100 of the warriors are archers, by average he's taking 6d8 damage (long spears and short bows) every turn. After the first 5 turns and 100 men with several hundred more to go, he's taken 30d8 damage which even a fighter 20 will notice. Not to mention the damage he took from fighting the fighter 15. What am I missing that a F20 can walk though hundreds of W1s without noticing them?

Storm Raven

First Post
Urban Knight said:
Which while we are on the subject how do we explain a lvl 10 or 20 fighter being felled by an arrow to the heel?

A critical hit that is also a sneak attack by a high level fighter/rogue with lots of bow focused feats and a magical bow firing human-bane arrows?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Papabestu and Urban Knight,

If either of you (or anyone else, for that matter) sees something that you think of as rude, we ask you to use the "report a post" feature - just click on the exclamation point icon at the bottom of the problematic post.

The one thing we ask that you not do is get confrontational. "Calling out" a person on their behavior usually results in the escalation of tensions, and a derailing of the thread. So please, no more head-to-head.

If you've got a question about this, please feel free to e-mail any of the moderators - our addresses are in a thread stickied to the top of the Meta Forum.

Felix

Explorer
Xini,

I'm completely unclear as to what it is you're looking for; your initial post was labeled 1e/2e/ODnD, but didn't have any relation to it; you enumerated problems you have with the game, but didn't ask if anyone else shared your problem or how they solved it; your listed problems are aimed at the game system and the publisher, though later in the thread you say you have capricious DMs that ruin your game; you say you and a friend want to switch, but everyone else can't be bothered, though you don't say if it's because they enjoy the game more than you do or if it's because they're lazy; you describe your dilemma but don't ask anything of us: help, advice or otherwise.

What is it you want?

Advice on alternative systems?
Opinions on what changes a future edition may incorporate?
Anecdotes on how others have gotten their groups to change systems?
A space to vent your frustration?

Because after 4 pages I still don't know, and I still feel like asking you why you play it if you dislike it so much, and to let me know who the guy is with your arm behind your back forcing you to play: I'll get him to stop.

Xini said:
You know... I was going to go into detail with each point but I figure it's far too convoluted to do so adequately here and I doubt that any suggestions would be necessarily well received.

That depends upon the manner of their suggestion.

[/Denethor]

Asking how other people solved similar issues, instead of scripting a litany of charges presented as fact, will generally be better recieved.

More flies with honey than vinegar, and all that.

Welcome to the boards.

S'mon

Legend
mmadsen said:
S'mon, I think Hussar's point is that the game should be designed so that a 20th-level Fighter is comparable to Achilles or Lancelot.

That would be fine by me - and in 1e/2e was arguably the case, in a fairly low magic setting - again, take a look at their 1e Legends & Lore stats.

S'mon

Legend
Urban Knight said:

Simple in 1e - poison arrow, Achilles fails Save vs Poison, dead Achilles. In 3e though Paris would have to have the Assassin Death Attack class ability (he does seem to be a Rogue type) or maybe an Arrow of Slaying (can't recall how those work in 3e off-hand).

Remove ads