The Queen has died

delericho

Legend
So, if I'm understanding things correctly, the wife of a king becames a queen consort, but the husband of a queen is a price consort. Is that correct? Camilla is now queen consort and if she should outlive Charles she could be called queen mother?
Normally, Camilla would just be called queen. Because of the circumstances with Diana, they've decided she'll be known as queen consort.

If she survives Charles, she would probably become the queen dowager - as noted, she wouldn't be queen mother as she isn't William's mother. (The precedent that I can think of is Catherine Parr, who was Henry VIII's widow, but wasn't mother to any of his children.)

TheSword

Legend
Normally, Camilla would just be called queen. Because of the circumstances with Diana, they've decided she'll be known as queen consort.

If she survives Charles, she would probably become the queen dowager - as noted, she wouldn't be queen mother as she isn't William's mother. (The precedent that I can think of is Catherine Parr, who was Henry VIII's widow, but wasn't mother to any of his children.)
That’s not true. The late Queen Mother was also Queen Consort while King George was alive. This distinguishes her between her daughter who was Queen Regent.

Queen consort has been going in England for a long time. It just gets shortened to Queen, just as Queen Regent does.

delericho

Legend
That’s not true. The late Queen Mother was also Queen Consort while King George was alive. This distinguishes her between her daughter who was Queen Regent.
While her official title was technically "queen consort", she was commonly referred to simply as the queen. It's only with Camilla that the distinction is being clearly emphasised.

Remove ads