The Queen has died

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Maori aren't monolithic broadly speaking you have three types subdivided by iwi. Urban, traditional, tribal.

Not all iwi signed the treaty either so Ngai Tahu members often have very different opinions than say Ngai Puhi.

Urban Maori very different as well.
Seems I wasn’t clear enough about dropping this line of conversation. You're done in this thread.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Sure, but it’s hardly the same. The Queen didn’t create art that is deeply meaningful for someone, she’s just a public figure.

Monarchy is about the maintenance of Tradition and the ceremonial heritage of a Nations identity, a nation which happens to have had a impact across the entire globe, so that everyone is affected to some degree

plus she was an attractive old girl, a muse to many and she did inspire a whole plethora of art
85B6B220-1DF6-401B-904A-18E6E3075D6F.jpeg

GuyBoy

Hero
Also, neither the Queen, nor the new King, ever came close to knighting Justin LaNasa, so he can stick his “Sir” where the sun don’t shine.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But like, for the rest of us this is basically a celebrity passing? Idk why Americans are passionate about it.

Sure, but it’s hardly the same. The Queen didn’t create art that is deeply meaningful for someone, she’s just a public figure. The celebration I’ve seen is especially confusing.

I toasted with friends when Thatcher died, but Her Majesty was hardly a Thatcher

Sorry, but your point seemed that you didn't undestand why so many people felt something about her death, outside of the UK. What sort of answers are you expecting outside explanation that:

1. for some people, she was the ruler of a country and it is not unusual for head of state to generate reactions among other people, especially when they are important/long running, even outside their home country.
2. for other people, she was associated with a saga that started with Lady Diana and continued with Meghan Marckle and William (or Harry, I don't know which is which) and made people magazine sell millions of issues, so they feel a page has been turned
3. for other people she is "just a famous lady" and many people feel something about famous people dying.

If your point wasn't just this question, then yes it's possible you didn't communicate it well, at least not well enough for me to understand it.

Nutation

Explorer
Philip almost survived her, he only died last year. If Philip were still alive, what would his title be now, "Prince Father"? It would be unique.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
King Father, presumably - same as Queen Mother.
According to Wikipedia, there's no precedent but --

"There is no male equivalent to a queen mother (i.e. "king father"). This would occur only if the husband of a queen regnant outlived the queen and was thereafter father to the new king or queen. Such a situation has never occurred. Since the title "queen mother" derives from the woman's previous title of "queen", it would also be incongruous to call such a father of a monarch the "king father", as the husbands of queens regnant are not given the title "king", but rather titled as a prince. The exact title such a person would assume has not been clarified by royal lineage experts. "Prince father" is a possibility."

Philip was never king. I kinda assumed 'queen mother' was like 'mother of the queen' but it seems its more 'mother who was the queen'.

Remove ads