The Queen has died

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
People care when celebrities die too.
Plus Americans(including myself) have a fascination with England and the monarchy. Probably because of our origins. I'll skip virtually every celebrity article, because I don't care who's marrying who or who cheated on who, but I'll click on most articles concerning the royal family. And I get a small kick when I drive through Montecito on the way to Santa Barbara, because that's where Harry lives now.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Monarchy isn't universally popular here with republic types and some Maori. Espicially the Maori.
Sure, and someone whose family’s oppression came at the hands of people who ostensibly worked for the British monarchs, I get.
People care when celebrities die too.
Sure, but it’s hardly the same. The Queen didn’t create art that is deeply meaningful for someone, she’s just a public figure. The celebration I’ve seen is especially confusing.

I toasted with friends when Thatcher died, but Her Majesty was hardly a Thatcher.

Sure, but it’s hardly the same. The Queen didn’t create art that is deeply meaningful for someone, she’s just a public figure. The celebration I’ve seen is especially confusing.

She's a head of state, not just a youtube influencer. If a US president died in office, wouldn't people react as well? Even former head of states cause that (Gorbatchev died a few days ago and people "felt" something as well, despite his mandate having ended 40ish years ago). Imagine him dying 40 years ago while in office...

Edit: Technically, she did create art (starring in James Bond and Paddington).

Last edited:

It is a quite unique thing. There are not many people that lived a life as long as she did, and it sad to hear them pass, because of all the things the experienced will be lost, and only the memories of those that knew the person (and are still alive) remain.
She was the Queen of a large nation (or commonwealth or whatever the exact expression is) and she experienced and influenced a lot of events and people that had effect on many people across the world. She was a quite unusual witness of - and agent in - history, and her direct experiences will be lost now, too. One can hope that she managed to instill some of the lessons she learned on others...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
She's a head of state, not just a youtube influencer. If a US president died in office, wouldn't people react as well? Even former head of states cause that (Gorbatchev died a few days ago and people "felt" something as well, despite his mandate having ended 40ish years ago). Imagine him dying 40 years ago while in office...

Edit: Technically, she did create art (starring in James Bond and Paddington).
Okay perhaps I didn’t communicate well, idk, but it seems like the point is being pointedly missed in favor of argumentative attempts at “correction”, so I’m just going to drop it.

Okay perhaps I didn’t communicate well, idk, but it seems like the point is being pointedly missed in favor of argumentative attempts at “correction”, so I’m just going to drop it.

Sorry, but your point seemed that you didn't undestand why so many people felt something about her death, outside of the UK. What sort of answers are you expecting outside explanation that:

1. for some people, she was the ruler of a country and it is not unusual for head of state to generate reactions among other people, especially when they are important/long running, even outside their home country.
2. for other people, she was associated with a saga that started with Lady Diana and continued with Meghan Marckle and William (or Harry, I don't know which is which) and made people magazine sell millions of issues, so they feel a page has been turned
3. for other people she is "just a famous lady" and many people feel something about famous people dying.

If your point wasn't just this question, then yes it's possible you didn't communicate it well, at least not well enough for me to understand it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Religion/politics
Thats not at all true. The majority of republicans are of European descent

Even Hone Harawira is pro-monarchy, the Treaty of Waitangi was signed on behalf of Queen Victoria and is still held as a covenant between the British Monarch and Maori.

The Maori aren't monolithic broadly speaking you have three types subdivided by iwi. Urban, traditional, tribal.

Not all iwi signed the treaty either so Ngai Tahu members often have very different opinions than say Ngai Puhi.

Urban Maori very different as well.

Remove ads