The Queen has died

Davies

Legend
He might very well be the worldwide contender.
Nope. Franz I (1853-1938), younger brother of Johann II, Prince of Liechtenstein (1840-1929) succeeded his brother on the latter's death and ruled over the principality until his own. At seventy-five, he was roughly two years older than King Charles III.

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, Charles has been an heir for longer than most kings have lived. Is he he oldest person to become king?
I think there's a very good chance that this was Pharaoh Merenre Nemtyemsaf II, who ruled for only 13 months after his father/predecessor's (most likely) 93 year reign. His father- Pepi II- ascended at the age of 6, so he died at around 99. So Merenre likely ascended as a very old man. I'm not entirely certain that he was the first born child, as I'm not exactly a historian of Egypt, but he basically saw the end of the Old Kingdom as it crumbled around him.

FB_IMG_1662785218622.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You know, people of the Commonwealth, or of Great Britain directly, or who freed themselves from English rule in living memory, I can understand celebrating the death of the monarch who has occupied that throne for the best part of a century, or being very emotionally moved by it.

But like, for the rest of us this is basically a celebrity passing? Idk why Americans are passionate about it.

Zardnaar

Legend
You know, people of the Commonwealth, or of Great Britain directly, or who freed themselves from English rule in living memory, I can understand celebrating the death of the monarch who has occupied that throne for the best part of a century, or being very emotionally moved by it.

But like, for the rest of us this is basically a celebrity passing? Idk why Americans are passionate about it.

Monarchy isn't universally popular here with republic types and some Maori. Espicially the Maori.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Jokes here about our former head of state started turning up a few hours later.
I was talking about Betty White. Not just a national treasure, but a global treasure. And was making a joke of my own, or trying to.

I'm curious if a big deal would have been made if Betty out lived The Queen. Like George Burns, people were obsessed with her age and apparent vitality.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Monarchy isn't universally popular here with republic types and some Maori. Espicially the Maori.
Thats not at all true. The majority of republicans are of European descent

Even Hone Harawira is pro-monarchy, the Treaty of Waitangi was signed on behalf of Queen Victoria and is still held as a covenant between the British Monarch and Maori.

Remove ads