The Real Ghostbusters

Aaron L

Hero
One of my favorite cartoons of all time, based on my favorite movie of all time. I got the DVD sets recently, only two have been released so far, a nd hopefully they'll do well enough to warrant additional releases. I also got the newest Ghostbusters DVD set, packaged with Ghostbusters II, which also comes with 2 episodes of the cartoon.

I absolutely love this show. I didn't realize that J. Michael Straczynski was the head writer for the first season or two, and wrote most of my favorite episodes. It's no wonder I liked Babylon 5 and his writing on Spider-Man so much, I grew up watching stuff he wrote!

The episodes with Samhain, and the one where they encountered Ebenezer Scrooge, are probably my favorites.

I never did get to watch Extreme Ghostbusters (I didn't even know it existed until recently), but I wish I had, just to see what it was like.

Did anyone else love this show as much as I did?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Aaron L said:
Did anyone else love this show as much as I did?

Heck yeah! The first couple of seasons, primarily, but I loved the show.

(I didn't even realize that Arsenio Hall did the voice for Winston for a long time! Interesting side note, I just read this interview with the guy that did Egon's voice, and he talks about how Arsenio got cast over Ernie Hudson for the character of Winston! Only in Hollywood...)

I absolutely love this show. I didn't realize that J. Michael Straczynski was the head writer for the first season or two, and wrote most of my favorite episodes. It's no wonder I liked Babylon 5 and his writing on Spider-Man so much, I grew up watching stuff he wrote!

Something else I'd forgotten, until you mentioned it. He talks a bit about it in his screenwriting book (uses it as an example).

(Another side note, I just realized that Lorenzo Music, who did Peter Venkman's voice in the cartoon- among many numerous other voiceovers- died in 2001. Didn't know that. :( )

horacethegrey

First Post
This was one of my favorite shows growing up. Mainly because it was quite different from many cartoons, though I didn't know it at the time. Some of the episodes were downright dark, such as the Boogeyman episode (one of my faves), the episode with the Necronomicon and Cthulu (awesome), the episode with Marduk and Tiamat, and so many more.

Shame though that as the series went on it became worse, probably due to Straczynski's depature. As much as I have had issues with JMS stances on his writing (particularly on his run in The Amazing Spider-Man), I can't deny his overall contribution to this incredible show.

frankthedm

First Post
Fantastic show. Collect Call of Cthulhu was my first exposure to the Lovecraft Mythos and the Necronomicon.

Ragnarok and Roll: Loved the way the flute sounded

Night Game: Very good episode. Anytime 'children's entertainment' asks the question "what is the value of the human soul?", that is a winner!

Last edited:

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
This is one of the few cartoon shows from the 1980s that I'm not embarassed to admit I liked. Some of my favorite episodes were the ones with the Boogeyman and the Sandman and the Grundel.

Aaron L

Hero
Oh yes, The Collect Call of Cathulhu was awesome, and when the Umpire asked about the worth of one human soul was just beyond cool.

Ray says: Go 'Pods!

Winston: "Cthulhu, I've heard of him. He's real bad, right?

Egon: "He makes Gozer look like Little Mary Sunshine."

Egon always had my favorite lines: "Sometimes I think the universe just waits for me to get cocky." And in the one where they're stuck in the Toon dimension with Dopey Dog and they have to pull the pond across the ground to make a soft landing for someone, he just ups and says "that's it, I'm leaving."

Ha.

D.Shaffer

First Post
I used to love the real Ghostbusters. I didnt realise they came out with a DVD set for their stuff. One of my favorite exchanges is when they were 'bartering' with Charon for his services. (These are going from memory, so feel free to correct me)

"...All right, what DO you have"
"I've got a rabbit's foot." "I've got a ham sandwich"
"*sigh* Deal. Wasnt much of a rabbit, was it?"
"You havent tried the sandwich"

I also love all the refs to the movie they had.

"Are you GODS?"
"Dont you DARE say a word, Ray!"

As for Extreme Ghostbusters. It had some good stuff. They went a BIT to PC with the cast, but overall I think it was worth watching. One thing I noticed was that the series was consistantly darker in tone then Real Ghostbusters was, and they were able to get away with a bit more. (Some examples include the vampire clown eps with them sucking up people, an eye demon that stole human eyes, and an episode features creatures based on the Cenobites)

horacethegrey

First Post
Aaron L said:
Egon: "He makes Gozer look like Little Mary Sunshine."

Egon always had my favorite lines: "Sometimes I think the universe just waits for me to get cocky." And in the one where they're stuck in the Toon dimension with Dopey Dog and they have to pull the pond across the ground to make a soft landing for someone, he just ups and says "that's it, I'm leaving."

Ha.
I think for the most part Egon was the series writer's favorite, as he had the a number episodes devoted to him and was probably the most developed character wise. Which is probably why he was the only returning character in Extreme Ghostbusters.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
trancejeremy said:
I liked it until they changed the voice of Peter...

I pretty much felt the same way. In the article I linked to above, the guy who did the voice of Egon comments on that a bit. I'm not sure how much is true, and how much is just speculation on his part, but it doesn't sound like it was Lorenzo's decision to leave.

Remove ads