The Realms of Enlightenment: The Grey Companions

This reminds me of when I ran my players through the 2e adventure Ruins of Greyhawk a player had read you could befriend some of the derro in one of the towers, he spent several sessions looking for the "friendly" tribe only to end up getting nearly killed every time he tried to parlay, until he gave up and started killing every derro he met until the rest of the party had to pull him off of one that was begging for mercy. :devil:

Jon Potter

First Post
This reminds me of when I ran my players through the 2e adventure Ruins of Greyhawk a player had read you could befriend some of the derro in one of the towers, he spent several sessions looking for the "friendly" tribe only to end up getting nearly killed every time he tried to parlay, until he gave up and started killing every derro he met until the rest of the party had to pull him off of one that was begging for mercy. :devil:

Ha!!

I'm not sure why Ahlear had it in his head that parlay was the way to go here. I'm usually fairly receptive to the idea of parlay, but Derro are insane... as a race... I just couldn't see them stepping up to the bargaining table.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #447] Splitting the Party

The druid charged, covering the distance between himself and the dwarf with the ram's horn in six steps. His warhammer dipped low swinging up into the belly of the robed dwarf with a solid thud that sent the creature reeling back into the arms of the two behind it.

"You should have talked instead of being dumb!" Ahlear admonished in undercommon. The female dwarf on his left raised her hand and snapped her fingers. An explosion of Sound Burst at Ahlear's back making his teeth chatter painfully in his mouth. Dark spots floated in his field of vision, but he managed to blink them away until the dwarf on the right snapped her fingers.

"I knew this damned tunnel thing was a bad idea," Huzair groused, dabbing at the blood trickling from his ear. "Should have followed my flying plan."

"Pardon?" the elf maid asked, keeping her drawn arrow aimed solidly at the two dwarf creatures. Huzair looked at Anania and sighed.

"You know what, my sweet flower," he said, "on second thought, fire away. I think that Ahlear was a fool to try talking to these guys but maybe I should go help him out up there." He handed Anania the sheathed Windblade.

"You should carry this in case the stairs fall again," he said as he passed her the sword. "Do not worry about hitting me, love. I know how to stay out of the way."

Then he cast his second Improved Invisibility and activated his Ring of Blinking. A moment later he vanished up through the stairs overhead, leaving Anania alone with some very easy targets.

This time the sonic attack pounded Ahlear mercilessly making his head swim and momentarily stunning him. He felt rather than saw one of the dwarves step to his right, but he was powerless to prevent them from moving to his flank. He felt magic touch his flesh and move through his body, stiffening his muscles and joints. An instant later the effect repeated, impeding his mobility further, and contributing to his inability to avoid the shortsword that stabbed into his back. The damage from the attack was minor, but he could tell that it was due to a quirk of fate rather than any lack of skill on his attacker's part. The blade had been aimed at his spine, intended to take him out of the fight in one stroke, and it was only by virtue of the fact that he recovered from the stunning Sound Burst a fraction sooner than expected that he managed to avoid death.

Huzair paused in the curve of the stairs above his Web and drew out another scroll, this one of Expeditious Retreat. He read the words scribed thereon and as the scroll crumbled to dust, felt the magic flow into his body. He Spider Climbed up the wall, Blinked through another set of stairs, and continued on, repeating the process six more times before the magic wore off and he settled into his normal pace.

He could hear the sound of magic being used above him now, fairly close and he paused, placing his hand on Flameblade's pommel.

"I know you cannot see me, Morier, but I am drawing my sword," the mage whispered, "and I am actually going to use it."

He drew Flameblade from its sheath, filling the tunnel with flickering light.

"The Scion of Fire-" the sword began, but Huzair silenced it with a hiss.

"What's this?" Morier asked as he finally reached the spot where Anania stood vigilantly covering the entangled dwarves with a drawn arrow. The elf tersely described what Huzair had related to her and what she'd seen first hand.

"And Ahlear's above?" the albino asked and Anania nodded. "And Huzair went up after him?" She nodded again. "And there's no way passed but through these webs?"

"None but Huzair's magic," the scout observed. "Perhaps we could ask these... dwarves." Morier shook his head.

"The time for talk has passed," the eldritch warrior countered. "These little bastards will kill us all if we stand here and try to reason with them." Anania looked at him and increased the pull on her bow meaningfully.

"So..." she queried and Morier stooped and picked up her torch from the stairs.

"Kill 'em," he replied grimly. "Kill 'em all."

Ahlear knew that he had to get away. And he withdrew to his left, hobbling back toward the door. He'd almost made it when he felt magic touch him again, making his joints stiffen even more and like before he felt the effect repeat a moment later.

But by that point, he couldn't feel much of anything. His limbs were completely outside of his control and he pitched forward onto the stone floor, his body little more than a slab of insensate meat to which his mind was unfortunately tethered. A shadow fell across him and he felt rancid breath hot on his neck.

"Perhaps," a voice tittered into his ear, "it is you who are dumb, no?"

"Take him," another voice commanded. "He too can feed the goddess!"

Huzair crept Invisibly along the wall and peered cautiously into the room. Ahlear was down, he saw being dragged out a door by two squat figures in robes. A third was supervising the procedure - if supervising consisted of bouncing up and down and muttering incoherently while blood dribbled from her pale lips, that is.

Suddenly she stopped bobbing and looked directly at him. Which, he knew should have been impossible; he was Invisible after all. And he was, but he was also holding a shortsword of flame that filled the landing where he skulked with firelight.

Morier stepped forward, touching the torch to the nearest portion of the Web. The strands caught immediately and spread, burning away a large section in an instant. The albino waited for the smoke to clear and then stepped into the gap, ready to do it again and clear himself a path to the other side.

At his side, Anania sighted through the smoke and sank an arrow into the nearer of the two struggling dwarves. It lodged in the creature's neck prompting a cry of pain followed by some gibbered mewling in a language that neither understood. Morier recognized it, although he hadn't heard it much since being cast out of Sheoloth. And hearing the language of his birth parents now hardened his heart.

"EVERY time we divide the party something goes wrong," the eldritch warrior grimaced. "Why will nobody EVER listen to me??"

Ahlear felt the hands on his boots relax for a moment, then the third dwarf - the one he had wounded - gave an angry hiss.

"Take him to the giant! And hurry, before the magic wears off!" she commanded in undercommon. "I'll take care of the will o' the wisp!" She grinned and turned toward a flickering light that seemed to be coming from the door to the stairs.

The grips on his legs tightened and he realized something: he could FEEL the hands on him. With a twitch of his finger, he dismissed his Produce Flame spell and suddenly there was only the stuttering light coming from the stairs. In the strobing illumination he saw the two dwarves at his feet pull back in alarm, fumbling for weapons.

He seized the opportunity then to activate the Ring of Invisibility and vanished just as the two shortswords stabbed downward. Both missed and the one on his right struck the stone floor with such force that it snapped the tip off its blade.

Huzair watched the nearest dwarf watching him - or rather she was watching the area where he was. She spoke a word and shadows seemed to ooze from her pores, cloaking her in a Veil of Darkness that obscured her body from the wizard's view.

"Resolvo veneficus!" Huzair intoned and dropped a Dispel Magic on the area around her. It did not have the intended effect on the dwarf's Veil of Shadows, but it did inadvertently eliminate one of the Clumsiness spells hampering Ahlear. The druid felt the barest bit of his physical dexterity return - just enough to make him feel as coordinated as if he'd been drinking dwarf spirits for the last several hours.

Which is to say: not very coordinated at all.

The Veiled dwarf raised a ram's horn she carried in her hand and muttered something that Huzair couldn't hear. He felt Flameblade devour an incoming spell, just as he'd hoped it would.

Anania aimed and sent another arrow stabbing into the wounded dwarf thing. It struck beside and below the first arrow, sinking into the flesh just above its studded leather armor. It made a gurgling sound and went limp in the Web. The other creature that was free to thrash about renewed its efforts to do so, without success. It cursed in its strange, ugly tongue and invoked a Veil of Shadows that obscured it somewhat.

Morier pressed forward with his torch, undaunted by the dwarf spitting and cursing to his left.

An approaching Clank. Clank. Clank. signaled Shamalin's arrival from below. Huffing and red-faced, she took in the scene at a glance, steadying herself against the wall with one hand. A Light spell glowed brightly on her black shield, filling the hallway with radiance.

"What... is this...," she panted and Morier glanced back over his slim shoulder.

"Huzair and Ahlear are up ahead," he said, "We need to get passed can you-?" He stopped himself as the cleric raised her holy symbol and spoke a few divine words.

At once, the Web unravelled, dropping to the stairs all three dwarves. The one that Anania had shot, not surprisingly, lay where it fell, but the other two scrambled immediately into action

Jon Potter

First Post
The Vanishing Staircase, part 2

Ahlear tried to make himself small and quiet as the two dwarves stabbed at the empty air he had lately occupied. He got awkwardly to his feet and pressed himself against the wall in the darkened hallway, hoping that Huzair had some sort of "big boom" up his sleeve.

Huzair, of course, had no idea where Ahlear was, so rather than risk hurting his ally with a Fireball, he settled on hurting his enemies with a flash pellet. He produced a small ceramic bead from his pouch and hurled it behind the Veiled dwarf nearest him, hoping to catch the two in the doorway as well.

It arced up and over the lead dwarf and struck the hard stone tiles behind her, shattering and flashing with dazzling brilliance once the alchemical mixture within contacted the air. Of course, Huzair didn't see that part as he was already turning away and shielding his eyes. But he heard three gratifying cries of startled pain.

"Ahlear, get out of there!" the wizard shouted in common as he slipped through the doorway and headed for the stairs.

The dwarf that had been completely entangled by Huzair's Web spell was the first to recover and it cloaked itself in a Veil of Shadows like its fellow. Then it scrambled backward, picking up its fallen crossbow as it went.

Anania stepped forward and struck at the creature with her bow. The weapon had been made using an ancient elvencrafting process and served equally well in ranged or melee combat. The dwarf, of course, did not know this and so it was confused by her attack, taking the blow squarely in the chest. It cried out in pain.

Morier dropped his torch and speaking the words of a spell brought Stoneblade to bear on the other dwarf. As he swung, his muscles swelled with the power of a Bull's Strength spell, and the greatsword struck with enough force to split the hapless dwarf from skull to pelvis. It never even had a chance to cry out as it very nearly exploded beneath the power of the eldritch warrior's blow.

Shamalin was disturbed by the profusion of gore, but not disturbed enough that it kept her from invoking a Magic Circle against Evil. She centered it on herself, which put the last dwarf just within its area of effect.

Huzair had somehow managed to blind all three of the dwarf things, and Ahlear seized the opportunity to creep toward the exit as quietly as he could. It wasn't easy as clumsy as he was and with the only illumination from Huzair's rapidly retreating light source. But he made it to the landing of the stairwell before any of the dwarfs recovered enough to chase him.

Huzair, himself had made it two turns of the staircase before his second Improved Invisibility spell gave out, leaving him with only his Ring of Blinking and his False Life spell protecting him. There was still another of the dwarfs - the one he'd fought earlier after casting his Web spell - somewhere on these stairs, and he didn't fancy meeting the thing with so few protections in place.

As it turned out, however, he needn't have worried about it. He had already run heedless passed the dwarf who was hiding in the shadows on the stairs above. Having seen the wizard's flickering light approaching from above the dwarf had hidden himself ready to attack with surprise. However, upon seeing that Huzair was Blinking in and out of existence it realized that it would be difficult if not impossible to land a well placed blow on the mage and so it had let him run passed unmolested.

Huzair had never even looked twice at the dark shape crouched against the wall.

The dwarf that Anania had injured scuttled backwards up the stairs, working the crank on its crossbow. As soon as it was out of her reach it raised the weapon and fired, a curse on its lips. It managed to nick the elf maid's left thigh with the bolt, drawing blood but little more.

Anania stepped in close again and struck out with her bow, but as she swung she felt a searing burn in the wound on her leg and she stumbled, missing badly. As she staggered, her leg crumpled under her weight and she fell to one knee on the stairs.

The dwarf had one second to gloat before Morier stepped up and cut its right arm off close to its torso. The thing looked horrorstruck at the fountaining amputation and then fell dead, tumbling down the stairs.

"Are you alright?" Morier asked as he stopped to help Anania to her feet. She grimaced, her face dripping suddenly with sweat.

"Posion!" she hissed, gripping Morier's arm in pain. Shamalin stepped forward and offered her support on the other side.

"Let me have a look," she offered and Morier nodded.

"Look after Anania," he said turning to head up the stairs. "I'm going to find the others!"

Ahlear stepped quickly aside as another of the albino dwarf creatures came trotting up the stairs, its lips pulled back from its cracked yellow teeth in a lunatic rictus. It was actually giggling to itself as it ran and Ahlear once again smelled that rank unwashed stench that he had smelled before in the darkened stairwell.

He was glad to let the noxious thing passed... until he saw what it was going for: the lever!

It leapt up, seizing the device with both hands and lifted its feet off the floor so that its weight pulled the lever down. There was a CLICK! and then the stairs were disappearing back into the central column.

He tried for the landing, but it was too far and his reflexes had suffered too much from the other dwarves' magic. He wasn't even close.

Clinging to the side of the staircase, Huzair watched him shoot passed, his arms flailing in the dark. The wizard whipped out a hand and managed to snag the druid's wrist and hold it for a heartbeat before he Blinked and Ahlear was falling again.

The stairs retracted beneath Morier's feet and he seemed to hang in space, mid-stride before he tipped and plummeted down, his hands swimming uselessly against the air.

Anania did actually hover for a moment as the stairs disappeared, buoyed up by the magic of Windblade.

Shamalin looked up and tried desperately to grab Anania's arm, but the elf jerked her hand away and reached instead for Morier. But she was too slow.

Both cleric and eldritch warrior shot downward toward the bottom of the staircase while Anania Feather Fell after them.

Shamalin struck first, clanging against the stone floor with a sound like a rung gong.

The three dead dwarves landed next, bursting horribly upon impact.

Then Morier hit the bottom, trying uselessly to land on his feet. The sound of breaking bones competed with his screams in the stone chamber.

An instant later, Ahlear hit the ground with a wet cracking sound. He did not cry out.

Last edited:

Huzair needs Shamalin conscious or he's going to have to play the hero again and his kind of triage would get messy.

Oh and only 4 more posts and then party time right? You all ready for the big event?

edit: only 3 more posts now.

Last edited:

Jon Potter

First Post
Big event? Ummm...

Oh and only 3 more posts and then party time right? You all ready for the big event?

Actually... no. I'm not at all ready. :eek:

I know that I talked about something special, but I haven't a clue what I that might be apart from the start of a new thread to keep the length manageable and accessible to newcomers.

Oh, and only 2 posts now.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #449] Dark Awakening

Shamalin ached everywhere she could feel blood slicking her face, taste its metallic tang in her mouth. She pushed herself to her knees with one hand. Her shield arm hung loosely to the side, insensate, which, she was fairly certain wasn't good. Morier was trying to flip himself over off to her right, his teeth gritted in pain. His left shin had developed an extra joint in the fall, and she could see blood soaking through his clothing at that point. She clutched her holy symbol and prayed to Flor, welcoming the warmth of healing magic and the slow return of feeling to her left arm.

"Shamalin!" Morier hissed through clenched teeth. "Are you-"

"Hush!" she hissed back and got to her feet. "I'm fine and you will be too."

"What about Ahlear?" the albino asked and Shamalin looked over at the druid. His head had burst open on impact and he was clearly dead. She shook her head.

"He is beyond my help," she told him solemnly. and Morier scowled. How many allies had he lost on this quest? How many more would fall before this was done?

Anania landed lightly on the floor and rushed toward Morier. She and Shamalin shared a glance and the elf maid looked away, color rising in her cheeks.

"It happened so suddenly," she offered. "My reaction was to grab Morier... I am so sorry... I am so sorry!!"

Shamalin said nothing but cloaked herself in a Sanctuary spell, not looking at the Scout.

"Can we heal Morier up?" Anania continued. "I know how important he is to this quest..."

Now Shamalin did look up, but she said nothing. She stalked over and, pushing passed the elf, knelt at Morier's side.

"Shamalin... I am so sorry. That is unlike me," Anania started, then she paused, shivering. "Is it getting colder in here?"

"Yes," the cleric answered, looking concerned. Her green eyes sparkled apprehensively in the dim light. She'd felt this sensation of unnatural cold before when they'd accidentally breached the Negative Material Plane inside the Tainted Cave. The glow from her Light spell and from Anania's fallen torch seemed to dim as shadows pressed in menacingly from all sides.

"What is this?" Anania asked, but Shamalin had no answers apart from a startled cry of, "Look!" She pointed at Ahlear's corpse from which tendrils of purest black were leaking. like umbral smoke.

What happened next seemed to happen in an instant, but it also seemed to draw out for an age. Ahlear's corpse jerked once on the ground and his armor was wrenched from his body in an eyeblink, leaving him pale and naked on the cold stone floor. Apart from the billowing darkness that seemed first to be caressing him, now tugging him, now battering him. He flopped to his back, turning his ruined face to the ceiling, and ribbons of negative energy whipped up and out of the strange tattoo on his chest. The tendrils writhed about hungrily, something cold and predatory about their movements that instantly filled Shamalin, Morier and Anania with dread.

Then there was a wind in the room, expelled from the tunnel mouth that lead to the outside. It smelled cool and fresh and carried with it a verdant mist that moved unerringly toward the writhing tendrils of negative energy. The two energies, seemed to engage in some sort of battle over Ahlear's corpse, the blue-green mist trying to enter his mouth, the black tendrils seeking to prevent the same. Tendrils of darkness snaked down wrapping themselves around the fallen druid's body, sealing it from foot to head in ribbons of negative energy.

The clash of energies - divine energies, Shamalin noted without even registering it - roiled in the air above the body, at something of a stalemate although it was clearly the negative forces which had the upper hand, sleight though it was. The wind was howling now and the spectacle reached some sort of violent climax that made the onlookers turn away blinking, water streaming from their dazzled eyes.

Morier screamed then, clutching at his chest. He pulled at the neck of his armor, yanking it aside to expose his chalk-white throat and Shamalin could see the fingers of a dark tattoo like the one that marked Ahlear appear strangely there. It continued beneath his armor, but the bit that was visible was the same despite seeming less like a thing of shadow and more like an actual tattoo.

"Gods!" Anania choked out, springing to her feet. She dropped Windblade and drew her bow and an arrow in one motion. Shamalin looked where she was looking and gasped.

Ahlear was sitting up, or rather a thing that might have been Ahlear was sitting where the druid had fallen. It was wrapped head to toe in what looked like ancient gray bandages between which wisps of shadow leaked like smoke.

"Rhaaaaaah...." the mummified creature groaned, its voice a dry, sepulchral rasp. A harsh parody of Ahlear's living voice. "Ouch. That was not fun."

Remove ads