The Realms of Enlightenment: The Grey Companions

mdougherty331

First Post
pfft.. what's the fun in that.

Yeah and his name? Huzair
Need a door opened = knock spell
Search for pit traps = Monster Summoning I
Search for secret doors = piss off the elf enough that he storms away to passively search for a secret door
Gather Information = open mouth, insert foot, cast ventriliquism, talk through foot
Pick pockets = fireball, sift through the ashes at your own speed
Use Rope = Rope Trick
Appraise = mercane
Escape Artist = check ;)

That is hysterical.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #442a] Round and Round

Huzair shared with the others what Sparky had told him and Morier looked up at the cliff top again.

"Yaaaay...," he deadpanned, but the wizard was unperturbed.

"Okay, all. Here is a great plan. I have a scroll of Invisibility Sphere. Meaning I believe we all could be invisible. I could give Anania my Ring of Invisibility, the rest of us could use the Levitation Dust and she could pull us all up to the top. She could use the Slippers," he said, indicated Shamalin's footwear and grinning. "This would avoid the tunnel entirely. We could wait and get into a good position. I could surprise attack with a Fireball, thus not hitting any of us - a drawback to that spell in my opinion. Then we quickly charge those left standing." The wizard brushed his hands together as if cleaning them of dust and then spread his hands wide. "And being frost giants, the Fireball may injure them more."

He crossed his arms and regarded Morier with a challenging eye, daring the albino to find fault with his brilliant plan. "Pretty smart, eh Whitey?" he smirked. "I did not read Zarnack the Magnificent's book on warcasting cover-to-cover twice and not pick up a few tricks."

"What are frost giants?" Shamalin asked and Huzair shrugged.

"They are elemental giants, of course," the mage bluffed. "They hate fire. They are made of snow or something, I think." Anania's smooth brow grew creased at that and she shook her head.

"Actually frost giants are flesh and bone, but they do have snow white skin... and blue or pale yellow hair," the elf offered. "They stand 15 feet tall and tend to live high in snow-choked mountain ranges."

"Well then who knows what they are?" Huzair said, waiving off Anania's remark. He rubbed his hands together in anticipation. "So who likes my plan? Man, I am one smart wizard"

"You sure are, boss" said Sparky into his ear and the wizard smiled.

"Giants are stupid," Huzair observed. "Killing the leader first is never a bad idea."

"Giants are also massively strong," Ahlear countered. "It's easy for the mage to suggest all the killing while he does not need to soak up the hits."

"My plan does not include getting hit," replied Huzair. "I am suggesting ranged attacks from a good vantage point."

"That's all well and good until they start throwing rocks back," said the druid, shaking his head. "Rocks the size of your torso and bigger. Real smart tactician our mage is." Huzair regarded Ahlear with a sour expression on his dark face.

"I could possibly stop that too," he assured the man. "I am amazing, but I want you to come up with a better plan. Go ahead. Let us hear it." Ahlear chuckled, still shaking his head.

"Right!" he scoffed. "And how do you propose to stop 10 tons of stone from coming at your face?" The mage looked confident, polishing his fingernails on his robe.

"Oh, by being invisible and not letting them know where I am," he said matter-of-factly. "As for you guys... Well, I guess you should have studied wizardry." He looked around and saw that the others weren't enjoying his comments as much as he thought they would.

"Stop being such an arrogant wisecrack and go suck on this," Ahlear said, throwing Huzair a cigar which the mage deftly caught, his face brightening as he drew the stogie along beneath his nose.

"Look, Ahlear. It is simple. Do not fight these creatures at their strength, fight them at their weakness," the mage said, trimming the cigar with his dagger. "Oh, Morier was right; you do have a lot to learn." The druid smiled at Huzair's ignorance and turned to the others.

"We should try to enlist the dwarves to our cause, if they are there to be had as allies," Ahlear suggested. "I vote for a good scouting of the tunnels to find out where they lead. Perhaps do it in a day so we can rememorize spells for tomorrow's encounter with the giants?" Morier shook his head.

"I think this is a conflict we need to avoid at all costs," he said gravely. "We're not equipped to do battle with giants of any kind."

"How many giants are we even talking about?" Ahlear wondered. He looked at Huzair and asked, "Your little parrot has not told us that has he?"

"Not yet," the wizard admitted. Then he drew the hummingbird close and whispered to him, "Find a place safe and warm, buddy, and watch those big, stupid giants." He released the bird, watching until he disappeared against the sky. Then he pulled some miscellaneous things from his Haversack and hunkered down on a moss-covered rock. With his dagger, he began drawing a representation of the island and the cliff.

"While Sparky is doing his thing, let me explain my plan... slowly, so everyone can follow it," he said winking at Morier before strategically placing the various items he'd grabbed from his bag. Once he was done, he sat back and surveyed his handiwork.

"Here, my flower, you are the pearl," he explained, pointing out items on his improvised battlefield. "Shamalin is the diamond. I am the gold piece. Morier, you are the rock. And Ahlear, here is some bat guano; that is you." He laughed under his breath before turning his attention to the representation of the island.

"The giants and their weapons are over here. If we all are invisible and have suprise, that will be a huge advantage against a stronger physical threat. Web might be useful too; It could tie them up and prevent them from getting to their weapons," he hypothesized, puffing smoke. "Yes, I know a boulder in the skull would really hurt. I just want us to be positioned in a good spot and to get that vital first strike in. Maybe even get a good second attack before they know what hit them. Of course all of your dwarves will be helpful too. Where are they? Looks like they have not been here for a while, or so my little flower says." He nodded at Anania and watched Ahlear intently.

"Maybe the dwarves are enslaved or held prisoner," the druid suggested. "That's why we havent seen them actually?"

"So your plan involves first liberating the dwarves to ask for their help against the giants?" Huzair scoffed, baiting Ahlear.

"Enough," Morier intervened. "Let's make sure we have the most thorough recon possible of the layout up above. Then we'll check out the tunnel and see what there is to be seen there." Anania met Morier's eyes and nodded. She started for the tunnel when Huzair spoke up, forestalling her.

"I have a dark vison tattoo," he said, favoring the elf maid with a wink. "I could do it."

"But I can speak undercommon and the ability to move silently," Ahlear countered, "so cast your Invisibility magic on me and I will accompany the lithe elf on the scouting." Huzair sniffed.

"Can you see in the dark? Are you sure you will not clank around too much in there?" he qurestioned. "Oh, I guess you are not a human then are you?" The druid gave Huzair a sarcastic smile.

"In a little while I won't be human if I really want it to be so, but for now, I am," he told him and Huzair looked him up and down.

"I do have the Invisibility Ring I can let you BORROW," he emphasized that last word as he spoke and Ahlear nodded.

"Yes, please do let me borrow your Ring of Invisibility," he said holding out a hand to the mage. "Then I can sneak around without it costing you one of your dear spells So thoughtful of you to share your abilities."

""I am nothing if not a team player. And speaking of sharing, love," Huzair said, looking hungrily at Shamalin. "I still love those slippers - just my color. I do well with pastels, but you can hold on to them. I can totally picture you in them." He grinned lasciviously and eyed her up and down, all the while emitting a vaguely feline growl. Shamalin, who'd suffered a glimpse into the workings of Huzair's oily mind, unintentionally recoiled from his scrutiny. Ahlear saw her reaction and swatted the wizard on the arm.

"Please do puff some more on that cigar i just gave you," the druid implored. "It will keep you silent a while." Huzair snorted at that, plucking the stogie from his teeth.

"You are counting on this to keep me quiet?" he chuckled. "At the Pair o' Dice, I once sang all twenty verses of "A Night at the Frothy Wench", drunk, and never took the cigar from my mouth. Ask Morier; he was there." Ahlear glanced at the albino and Morier shrugged.

"Nothing keeps him quiet for long," the eldritch warrior said sardonically earning him a glare from Huzair.

"I appreciate your offer to come along and help scout," Anania said as she lead Ahlear away toward the tunnel entrance. "But please stay a few paces behind me. I can scout for traps and advise you if anyone is coming." Ahlear nodded at the wisdom of her plan.

"You're the primary scout, I am the communicator-scout," he said, deferentially. "I will stay back far enough for you to work properly, and when needed I will advance or retreat." She nodded and then paused long enough to show him a few basic hand signals she would use while in the tunnel to minimize the need for speech. He picked up the signals quickly and they started had back for the dark opening in the cliffside when the elf stopped again.

"Ahlear, please know that I plan to protect Morier at any cost," she said flatly. "I thought it important to tell you as you appear to be a... free thinker... and if you choose to deviate from our established plan I won't risk my life to save yours. My life is reserved, at this point, for Morier." Ahlear looked at her, disconcerted.

"I am not the only 'free thinker' here in the group, and as much as I understand your logic, I do not expect anybody to sacrifice their lives so blindly," he told her. "It is your choice though, and I have my choice. I just wonder what specifically made you say this?" She blinked, her face a poised, expressionless mask.

"I thought you should know, in case you decide to step forward and speak, or charge in for the attack. You will not find me there to support you. I will return to the group," she said and looked back to where the other three party members were arguing over something. Their words were inaudible over the roar of the waterfalls. "I would feel badly doing so if I had not been honest with you up front. I don't think it will come to that... but again, I thought if we were going to work in concert, you should understand my motivations."

He nodded understanding and she returned the motion.

"Let's get back to the mission at hand," she said, and fixing an arrow in place on her bowstring, she ducked into the dungeon entrance.

Anania quickly retraced her earlier steps she'd taken with Huzair, pointed out the pit trap to Ahlear, and bypassed the gate and the lever which opened it. From there it was unexplored territory and she slowed their pace, checking carefully for anything that looked like a trap. She found nothing, however and after only a short distance, they came to a vertical shaft with a spiral stair that corkscrewed around a central column of stone set into its center. The stairs marched upward into darkness and they could each feel a cool dampness on their skin as the air circulated up the shaft to whatever was at the top.

Anania turned to look meaningfully at Ahlear and then made for the stair, paying close attention to the ground as she went. They ascended the stairs slowly, the scout ever mindful of traps, and after a time, Anania held out a clenched fist, the signal to stop. She then pointed first to her ear and then upward. Ahlear activated the Ring of Invisibility and strained to hear what the elf had. At first he heard nothing, then it came to him: the sounds of combat, muffled either by distance or an intervening door or two. But the clash of steel and the grunts of effort and pain was unmistakable.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #443] The Vanishing Staircase

Anania motioned for Ahlear to retreat a ways back down the staircase, which he did, removing the Ring of Invisibility as he went. Then the scout stepped in close to hiss into his ear, "Ahlear, everything seems clear to this point. Use the Ring of Communication, tell them to proceed to the spiral stairs and move up slowly. We will report every twenty heartbeats or they should advance cautiously as we may have encountered trouble." Ahlear nodded and did as the elf had bade him.

"We are advancing on," he told Huzair. "Move straight in to the spiral stair."

"Sure, try to grab all the glory for yourself, Ahlear,"the wizard's voice snapped back at him. Before the druid could respond, Huzair spoke again. "We're on our way," he said in a slightly less belligerent tone.

"Boss, one of these giants up here has got two heads," Sparky commented over Huzair's telepathic link. "Is that important?"

"Could be, little buddy," the mage thought back. "You stay safe and keep an eye out for little details like that. I'm going in to save Ahlear and Anania."

"You're so brave, boss," the familiar chirped into Huzair's mind. "They're so lucky to have you with 'em." The mage smiled at the sentiment.

"I don't ever get tired of hearing that," he said aloud, his voice all but swallowed by the waterfall.

"What?" Morier asked, cupping a hand to his ear and Huzair shook his head.

"Nothing," he replied. "Ahlear says it's all clear."

"Good. Let's get moving," the albino said and moved toward the tunnel where Shamalin was trying to decipher the words carved around the entrance.

"Any luck?" he asked her and she sighed, turning toward him to shake her head.

"I recognize some of the characters as being the same or similar to the gnomish alphabet, but they don't make any sense. And they're almost worn away; I'm not even sure that I'm seeing what I think I am," she confessed. "If we could wait here until morning I could pray for a miracle that might allow me to translate it tomorrow." Morier was already shaking his head.

"No," he said. "Anania and Ahlear have already said that the way's clear. We're going in now." She nodded and bent reluctantly to retrieve her shield and helmet.

Anania and Ahlear pressed on, creeping upwards toward the sound of fighting. Before too long Anania suddenly held out her fist again, signaling for the druid to stop. They froze, listening and all at once, Anania turned, her face pale in the torchlight.

"Run!" she shouted, and began bolting up the stairs.

At that moment, Ahlear heard it too: the CHUNK! CHUNK! CHUNK! sound of the stairs retracting into the central column. It was coming from below and he wasted no time with thought as the sound grew steadily - and swiftly - closer. He ran, but not fast enough and before he'd made it five steps, the stairs disappeared beneath him.

And he fell.

He dropped the torch, his fingers clutching at the wall for purchase - and miraculously finding it. He found a narrow ledge wide enough to grip with both hands and he did so, desperately. He glanced down and saw the elf maid plummeting into darkness with their torch following her down.

She fell in stoic silence, watching as the druid somehow managed to grab the wall and cling there with his dire rat clinging frantically to his boots. There was nothing for her to do but adjust her landing as best she could to mitigate the impact. She did what she could, but striking the ground still splintered the bones in her foot and dislocated her knee as she tumbled.

And then she did cry out as the pain threatened to overwhelm her consciousness entirely.

"What in the hells was that?" Morier cursed as he helped Shamalin navigate the narrow ledge around the pit trap that Anania and Huzair had discovered on their first foray into the tunnel.

"Sounded like somebody falling," the cleric offered and Morier nodded, drawing Stoneblade.

"THE SCION OF STONE AWAKES!" the weapon announced.

Ahlear hung as still as he could, allowing the panicked Nibble to climb up his body to the relative safety of his shoulder. The animal was trembling with fear and he frankly couldn't blame him. He was about to whisper some soothing words when he heard the sound of a door opening some distance above him in the utter dark.

"Somethin' triggered the stairs," a male voice observed in undercommon.

"Maybe them giants sent their gnolls 'round to the back door," a second voice grunted and then let out a low tittering laugh. "But they're paste now, I reckon."

"Maybe," the first voice said more cautiously. "But maybe not. We'll settle 'bout the prisoner later. Suit up and let's head down. There's bound to be some good eatin' if nothing else."

And then Ahlear heard the door click shut again.

"Could be, little buddy," the mage thought back. "You stay safe and keep an eye out for little details like that. I'm going in to save Ahlear and Anania."

"You're so brave, boss," the familiar chirped into Huzair's mind. "They're so lucky to have you with 'em." The mage smiled at the sentiment.

"I don't ever get tired of hearing that," he said aloud, his voice all but swallowed by the waterfall.

Huziar stood proudly, his rotund belly oozing with confidence that could be clearly seen through the bright blue fabric of his pullover shirt, his black captain's hat tilted to the left side like all those old salty sailors on the islands wear. He regarded his little buddy sparky with admiration, the skinny thing barely fit into his red shirt, it hung loosely off his scrawny form and his white sailor's hat engulfed his head like a bad toupe'. They were marrooned here but at least they had each other. :lol:

Jon Potter

First Post
As your emoticon suggested, I laughed out loud at this image, HM! Well done!

Huziar stood proudly, his rotund belly oozing with confidence that could be clearly seen through the bright blue fabric of his pullover shirt, his black captain's hat tilted to the left side like all those old salty sailors on the islands wear. He regarded his little buddy sparky with admiration, the skinny thing barely fit into his red shirt, it hung loosely off his scrawny form and his white sailor's hat engulfed his head like a bad toupe'. They were marrooned here but at least they had each other. :lol:

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #444] That's No Dwarf

"My little flower!" Huzair cried upon entering the small chamber and spotting Anania struggling to remain conscious. A moment later, Morier darted into the room with Stoneblade naked in his fist. A rhythmic clanking signaled Shamalin's progress behind.

"What happened?" Morier asked Anania as he entered, taking in the surroundings as he came. She looked up at him with pain visible in every line of her face and in the sweat on her brow.

"A... trap," she managed to say around tightly clenched teeth. "There... was a... trap."

"Flor have mercy!" Shamalin exclaimed as she caught up to the others and saw the scout's broken state. Clutching her holy symbol in one hand she stepped forward with the words of a Cure Serious Wounds spell on her lips.

"Uumphfff. Nibble, get off my head," Ahlear grunted as he struggled to hang on while activating the Ring of Communication. He heard voices below and glancing down could see flickering torchlight. But it was not enough for him to make out any details. He hoped it was Huzair.

"I am hanging here," the druid hissed into the Ring. "Hurry, or I will fall as well."

"Where are you?" the wizard's voice asked over the Ring.

"Above," was Ahlear's answer. "You need to get to Anania soon, as she will get company. I overheard a conversation. And it also seems we missed a secret door near the staircase."

"What staircase?" Huzair asked and without waiting for a response, added, "Hang on. We'll get you down." Ahlear snorted at that comment.

"There's not much else I can do," he muttered, grimacing as Nibble's claws dug into him looking for firm purchase.

"Give me the Slippers!" Huzair said to Shamalin. He pointed to the dark shaft overhead. "Ahlear is stuck up there." Grimacing with discomfort, Anania got to her feet; Flor's gifts had healed the damage to her foot, and gone some way toward easing the discomfort in her knee.

"I saw him grab for the wall when the trap went off. I believe he may have grasped the side for dear life and I have to guess he is up there," she said. Her expression grew embarrassed and she added, "I failed to see how the trap was triggered."

"Do not worry about it, beautiful," Huzair said, his words dripping with honey. "Things like that happen sometimes. Nobody expects you to be any more perfect than you are." She shook her head.

"It is my job," she said morosely. Morier laid a hand on her shoulder.

"We all do what we can," he told her and Huzair nodded.

"And right now what you both need to do is try to find a hidden door down here," he said, watching as Shamalin stripped off the Slippers of Spider Climbing. "The druid said that we missed one and we were about to have hostile company. So use that elfin magic of yours and spot that door!" He moved then toward the wall, half-hopping as he struggled into the Slippers.

"What about you?" Morier asked Shamalin and the cleric looked at him and shrugged apologetically.

"I'm not good at finding hidden doors," she smiled wistfully. "Amaury used to say I-" Her voice hitched and she turned away. "I think I would do better as a sort of decoy... an obvious target in the center of the room."

"That will be a very dangerous position should Ahlear be correct about an enemy advance," Anania cautioned and Shamalin waved her off.

"I will cast Sanctuary at the first sign of conflict and will follow it up with a Command spell," the cleric informed her. "Do not think me fragile or unprepared."

Anania nodded once and went to search for secret doors.

Huzair huffed and puffed as he went up the side of the shaft with as much haste as he could manage when walking up a sheer wall. He'd removed from his Handy Haversack his Everburning Torch and thrust it through his belt. It filled the shaft with a bubble of magical light as he ascended and he soon spotted Ahlear's dangling feet above.

"I see you," he whispered into the Ring of Communication. "I brought you something that will let you down safely."

"Just hurry," Ahlear hissed back. "I can't-" He stopped speaking as he heard some mechanism winding back up behind the stone, followed by the CHUNK! CHUNK! CHUNK! sound of the stairs resetting. They slipped out of the central pillar, and locked back into the outer wall in a cascade of stone that travelled down from the top faster than a man could run.

One moment, Huzair was looking at the druid's feet and the next there were two sets of stairs between himself and Ahlear. The sound proceeded swiftly downward and just as suddenly as it had begun, the trap was reset.

Ahlear dropped down onto the stair, quite pleased to have solid stone beneath his boots again. He lifted the still-trembling Nibble off his shoulder and scratched the animal reassuringly for a moment. Then he heard the door open above him again and the sound of several pairs of tramping boots moving down the stairs toward him.

Ahlear heard the sound of metal on metal above followed by a startled grunt.

"Konerk!" a gruff voice shouted in undercommon. "Are yer feet made of lead, boy?!"

"I don't think so," a second voice answered. "I never thought to check tho-" The voice was cut off by another clank of metal on metal.

"It's yer head what's full of lead, methinks!" The first voice grumbled. "Now pick up yer feet or so help me I'll feed ye to Dagga myself!"

"I doubt she'll be very hungry after she eats the giant," Konerk replied and metal struck metal again prompting another cry of pain.

"Keep Quiet!" the first voice shouted. "An ye nae see we're tryin' ta be sneaky 'ere?"

"Shh!!" someone hissed - someone closer than the other two, Ahlear thought.

He quickly gave Nibble a command and sent the rat scrambling down the stair. His animal companion's nails chittered over the stone as Ahlear activated the Ring of Invisibility and pressed himself against the wall in the dark.

"Did ye hear that?" a voice asked - one he hadn't heard yet.

"I did," replied a fourth. Then, raising his voice he called, "Garkil, there's somethin' alive down here!"

"Well, then," the first voice shouted back down, "Let's see if we can't change that, shall we?" Ahlear could almost hear the smile spreading on Garkil's lips as weapons were readied above.

It didn't take them long to pass by the spot where Ahlear stood silently. He could not see them in the utter darkness, of course, but the stench of unwashed bodies hung about them like an almost tangible cloud. As someone used to spending long periods in the wilderness, he was no stranger to the smell of sweat, but this was a sour and unwholesome miasma that almost made him gag aloud. Their footsteps were nearly without sound as they tread upon the steps - even Konerk now was as light-footed as any guild thief. But at least one of them was mumbling under their breath, something about blood and death in a cadence that made Ahlear think it might be a song of some kind.

He listened as the sing-song babbling moved passed him in the darkness and was about to step away from the wall when something unseen brushed passed him, rough enough to send him against the central column. He sucked in his breath and hefted his hammer, ready for further assault, but it didn't come. Soon, he could no longer hear the mutterings and determined himself to be along in the immediate area.

Below, Huzair heard the hiss of air being sucked through wet lips and turned toward the sound. He'd dropped his Everburning Torch on a stair a little bit below the spot where he clung invisible to the stairs overhead and it continued to shed bright, magical light over the entire area. It was enough for the mage to spot the figure at the edge of the shadowy illumination. He wasn't entirely sure what it was he was seeing, but he knew one thing: it was no dwarf.

The creature crouching in the shadows at the curve of the stair was dwarf-sized, but that's where the similarity ended. Its skin was devoid of pigment, being the same blue-white as Morier's. Its hair and mustache were platinum-colored and matted with dried blood and filth. It held a boxy repeating crossbow awkwardly in one hand while it shielded its bulbous, milky-white eyes from the light of Huzair's everburning torch with the other. Its lips were pulled back from cracked, brown teeth in disgust.

"Don't just stand there, Garto, douse that light!" a voice hissed and Huzair saw that there was another of the creatures behind the first. Garto turned to its fellow and gnashed its teeth, then, spitting once on the stairs it cloaked itself in swirling tendrils of darkness and darted forward.

It was difficult to see exactly what it was doing - the veil of shadows obscured it somewhat - but it reached the Everburning Torch, scooped it up and then extinguished the light, plunging the stairwell into darkness. Huzair could hear the hushed tread of feet moving below him in the darkness and he risked touching his Darkvision tattoo, activating its magic. At once, he could see again, albeit in black-and-white only. But he saw now that there were four of the dwarflike creatures moving stealthily down the stairs. They were dressed in ratty studded leather armor, and each carried a repeating crossbow. One of them had a strange hooked spear strapped across his back, but the others all bore shortswords at their hips.

Huzair grinned and, drawing out a prepared scroll from his traveler's purse, he dropped a Web in their midst. Immediately the stairwell was filled floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall with thick sticky strands, and one of the dwarf things was utterly entombed within the mass. The other three, however, faired better; two of them were tangled up in the web but still looked mobile while the fourth, through some miracle of evasion managed to tumble free of the spell's area of effect. He landed on his back on the stairs, curses streaming nonsensically from his lips.

"We've been tricked, boys!" Garkil shouted as he struggled to his feet. "I'm goin' after Thorlum! Ye lot hold the stairs!" The others growled and gibbered in the webs as Garkil started back up toward the top, scrambling almost on all fours as he went.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #446] There's Just No Talking to Some People

Above, Ahlear called on The Green, Producing Flame in the palm of his left hand. The flickering light illuminated the stairwell enough for him to navigate it without fear of slipping to his death. He heard shouts and curses in undercommon from below and opted to move, warhammer in hand, further up the stairs.

At the bottom of the stairs, Shamalin and the others heard the shouting and cursing and the cleric started forward. Anania cast a glance at Morier and saw that he too was moving forward, abandoning the ambush. She sprinted for the stairs, reaching them a few paces before Shamalin and shot up them in a flash with a fresh torch blazing in her hand.

Huzair wasted no time. He drew forth a second scroll from his Handy Haversack and pointed at the fleeing dwarf before it could disappear around the curve of the stairs, shouting, "Homo retine!"

The Hold Person spell went off properly, the scroll crumbling to dust in his hand, but it had no effect on the dwarf apart from making it stop climbing the stairs and turn back to peer warily into the darkness. It said something that Huzair couldn't understand and chuckled to itself. Then, grinning, it raised a hand and snapped its fingers filling the stairwell with an explosion of sound.

The sonic energy slammed into Huzair like a fist to the temple. He staggered under the assault, stunned by the Sound Burst, and unable to orient himself. It took time for his head to clear, but when it did, he saw that the dwarf was still there, its repeating crossbow ready in its hands. It grinned at him like a lunatic - which was about the point that the mage realized his Improved Invisibility had run its course. Quickly, he activated his Ring of Blinking in time to avoid being shot in the throat with a crossbow bolt.

"That's it!" he snapped and Blinked downward through the stairs.

Anania arrived at the near side of the Web in time to see Huzair cast a handful of fairy dust at the creatures struggling within. Two of them spat at the mage and cursed in an unfamiliar tongue, but seemed otherwise unaffected by whatever he was trying to do. It was unclear whether the third was even exposed to the sprinkled dust; it was too well cocooned to even struggle.

"What are these things?" the elf maid asked once she got a look at the creatures in the light from her torch. Huzair glanced back at her and she saw that there was a bit of blood trickling from his ear.

"These, my sweet flower, are the dwarves with which Ahlear wants to make friends," he said. "They appear to be some nasty degenerate form of dwarf. And they are damned resistant to magic."

"Shall we see how resistant they are to arrows?" she asked, setting her torch on the stairs and drawing an arrow in a single fluid motion.

"Better not," Huzair cautioned. "I know that Ahlear wanted a chance to speak to-" He was cut off as one of the entangled dwarves snapped its fingers and another Sound Burst erupted between Anania and him. This one seemed less potent and both of them were able to shrug it off without being stunned.

Grimacing, Huzair held a hand to the side of his head. "Damned, little-" he managed to hiss before another sonic went off on top of him.

Above, Ahlear found the open door from which he assumed the dwarves - if they were dwarves - had issued. It was also the only door he'd seen and was at the very top of the stairs. The area beyond was dark, but his flame shrouded hands revealed a rectangular room of finely-worked stone. The door through which he'd entered was in one corner and another, similar door was set in the opposite wall. A set of double doors was dimly visible on the far side of the room in the corner to his right. A large lever was set prominently in the wall to his left. That was all he had time to see before the door across the room opened and a female dwarf-thing dressed in ratty black robes stepped into the room.

"Stop," the druid said, holding up a flaming hand. "We have a mutual enemy: the giants. Let's kill them and then leave each other in peace." The dwarf-creature leered at him in response and lifted the chipped and gnarled horn of a ram as it came.

Before Ahlear could do anything he felt an invisible wedge of force slam into his midsection, doubling him over and threatening to drive him back toward the stairs. Grunting, he managed to set his heels against the bull rush, holding his ground. He looked up and spied two more of the female dwarfish things crowding the doorway behind the first.

Remove ads