• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Reconquista OOC

More on Sterich

A bit more about that old country between the mountains.

Proper Name: March of Sterich
Ruler: Her Magnitude, Resbin Dren Emondav, Marchioness of Sterich, Stewardess of the Great Western Gate
Government: Feudal monarchy owing fealty to Keoland
Capital: Istivin
Major towns: Istivin (pop. 12,100)
Provinces: Seven counties, each with three to fifteen low baronies (conflicting baronial claims make final number per county uncertain in many areas)
Resources: Silver, electrum, gold, gems (II-III)
Coinage: [Keoland standard] griffon (pp), lion (gp), eagle (ep), hawk (sp), sparrow (cp)
Population: 144,000 -- Human 79% (OFS), Dwarf (mountain) 8%, Halfling 6%, Gnome 3%, Elf 2%, Half-elf 1%, Half-orc 1%
Languages: Common, Flan, Dwarven, Keolandish, Halfling
Allies: Keoland, Gran March, Ulek states, Bissel, Yeomanry
Enemies: Nonhumans and giants of the Crystalmists, Iuz, Pomarj

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Branding Opportunity said:
Enemies: Nonhumans and giants of the Crystalmists, Iuz, Pomarj

Ahh... the giants are from the Crystalmists?

That lends a lot of credence to James' reading of the likely dwarven situation...

-Hyp.

Seeten

First Post
So I just got from my tabletop D&D game, and our party of 4 7th level characters was dice fudged out of a tpk against a cr 7 monster. If my barbarian had Close Quarters Fighting, we wouldnt have needed a dice fudge. You know, I debated it with myself long and hard for the barbarian, and I did again for the paladin, and again, chose against it. If I get grappled by a giant, I am gonna scream, I swear.

Geoff

Since you'll be spending part of the intro in this country, I thought I'd include this info as well.

GEOFF:
[SBLOCK]GEOFF

Overview
The land of Geoff is utterly devastated. Its villages are ghost towns, and armies of orcs and giants of all varieties have inhabited the cities, taking as slaves those humans they did not kill and eat. Few buildings have escaped ruin, and the land’s forests are being harvested for unknown purposes. Nearly everything that once was Geoff has been erased. The giants hold all land from the Crystalmist mountains in all directions but east, where the Realstream, Dim Forest, Oytwood, and Stark Mounds demarcate a chaotic, violent border with Gran March.
Geoff’s isolated position accounts for some unusual weather. Morning fog is common near the Dim Forest, giving northeastern Geoff a reputation for secrecy and hauntings. Rain is plentiful, though thunderstorms are short, violent affairs. Winter brings significant snowfall, especially in the west and mounts.
Before the wars, Geoff was well known as a source for wool and furs. Animals, both wild and domesticated, once freely roamed the countryside. Most of these were captured and eaten by giants and orcs, though the deer population had grown following the loss of their foremost predator (humans – the orcs and giants eat cattle and horses). Roving packs of wild dogs range widely throughout Geoff, creating yet another hazard in an already frightful realm.
The giants’ gains were hard won. Geoff’s archers predominantly sylvan elves and half-elves, picked off the first giant forays, allowing the full evacuation of the capital and much of the southlands. Eventually, Geoff’s defense broke. Cavalry and pikemen were little match for seemingly countless bands of giants and nonhumans. Little evidence of an organized Geoffite army exists today; survivors long ago pledge themselves to Gran March or newly liberated Sterich, and they encourage the retaking of Geoff from afar. The largest group of those warriors is based in the all-but-annexed town of Hochoch, between the Dim Forest and Oytwood.

Recent history
In 584 CY, orcs and giant-kin of the Crystalmists worked together, systematically invading and destroying western villages in a series of calculated attacks that appeared to be orchestrated by an unknown entity. By Harvester, the entire nation had fallen to the giants. The duke, wise Owen I, fled to Shiboleth, where he was greeted by friendly nobles of Gran March.
Those Geoffites who could not escape the nation began a guerilla war against the giants, striking from secluded hideouts in hills and woodlands. Aided by gnomes and elves, these humans gained only minor victories. By 586 CY, most resistance cells had been discovered and slain, the few survivors retreating deeper into the woodlands of the east.
A vicious, violent push into Geoff came in 588 CY. Orchestrated by leaders of the Knights of Dispatch in Hochoch, the action saw a great deal of fighting in the Oytwood, where a small army of lesser giantkin was defeated with great bloodshed. The push was taxing, however, and the soldiers of Hochoch now mount only small raids in the west, awaiting money and manpower to support a reinvasion of the destroyed duchy.
Very little information on the current status of the nation has reached the outside world. It is known that Gorna is in ruins, and that a fire giant named “King” Mogthrasir rules from a crudely wrought stone castle in Pest’s Crossing. The giants call the land “Tjalf,” which means “toil” in their language, and accurate representation of the life of the few surviving humans in the region. Whether Mogthrasir plotted the invasions and is the overlord of the entire region is unknown, but doubted.[/SBLOCK]

Seeten said:
If I get grappled by a giant, I am gonna scream, I swear.
Um, they're Large or Huge creatures with stupid strength. They are very, very good at grappling. Wait until I throw the frost giant reaping mauler at you guys! Heh, heh, heh.

jk ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads