D&D General The Resurrection of Mike Mearls Games.

Stalker0

Legend
My opinion is that it doesn't matter. No matter how WotC chooses to assign or identify DCs, its going to be going against the usefulness of a huge swathe of the playerbase. So what each of us should really be doing is not spending our time trying to fight to get our preference put into the book (for which threads like this have probably no chance of actually doing anything)... but instead spend our time working to become more comfortable changing rules at our own tables so that we have things 100% how we'd prefer them to be.
So you’re arguing that the original article itself about changing dcs is pointless, is that fair to say?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So you’re arguing that the original article itself about changing dcs is pointless, is that fair to say?
I think that he's arguing the opposite of that. Any given DM is free to adopt whatever method they think works best for their table, so articles like this that explain "What you're gonna get" for "What you choose to do" are WELCOME. What is LESS important, at least according to Defcon, is what WotC chooses to print: Because it won't please everyone anyway.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If his original article was meant to inspire WotC to change their rules to match, then yes.

If it was merely an alternative way for tables to run checks, then no.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, seems like a lot of people expect wizards to solve everything with their spells but, why waste a spell slot on knock when there's a rogue in the group. People will call out specific spells a wizard can use to completely negate some sort of encounter as if every wizard has them in their spellbook as well as has them prepared.

Yup cheap wands of knock are a problem not the knock spell itself.

I probably wouldn't even pick it.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Can you just keep resrolling the pick locks roll? I forget.

DCs are also low DC 15 is 50/50 level 1 more or less.
5E is mostly silent on the issue.

There's nothing saying that you can't reroll, but nor is there saying you CAN reroll.

Cheers,
Merric

Remove ads