The Return of Sword & Sorcery Cinema?

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Klaus said:
You mean like Galadriel is an ageless beauty? Yeah, glad Cate Blanchett didn't get that part.

Oh, wait...

:)
You say that like I think The Lord of the Rings was even any good, much less like I think Cate Blanchett was well-cast as Galadriel.

As it happens, though, Blanchett's age shows less than Connelly's does.

horacethegrey

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
You say that like I think The Lord of the Rings was even any good, much less like I think Cate Blanchett was well-cast as Galadriel.

Well you keep thinking that mate, while let the rest of us think that the LOTR trilogy was the best thing in cinema since the original Star Wars, regardless of lack of fidelity to the books.

Some people, no pleasing them. :\

CapnZapp

Legend
We were talking about this before the boards crashed, when the thread was lost. Things may be looking quite bright for a S&S cinema revival.

I'd be interesting in hearing everyone's thoughts.
Writing approx 16 years later I envy the optimism of 2006. I would love more classic Sword & Sorcery movies.

Yora

Legend
There were for several years persistent murmurings about the stars being right for a Sword & Sorcery literature revival. Seems to have died down again with nothing to show for.
(A good number of stories were published, but the ones I read seemed bland and unimaginative.)

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I haven't seen it, but The Northman is a fairly high-profile, generally well-reviewed movie that seems S&S-ish.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
People didn't like the 2011 Conan the Barbarian reboot with Jason Momoa, but I did.
I generally liked Momoa in the role, and the first half or 2/3 of the movie felt pretty Conan-y, but then it got too dumb/silly for me. Generally I recommend it, though.

Remove ads