The Return of Sword & Sorcery Cinema?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Really? Isn't it just a period piece where some characters occasionally have weird visions?
When I Google for "is The Northman sword & sorcery", a lot of the results refer to it as such, so...? Definitions of S&S vary, and some people use it to refer to any gritty, swords-y stuff that has a fantasy element to it. Again, I haven't seen it myself.

CapnZapp

Legend
I haven't seen it, but The Northman is a fairly high-profile, generally well-reviewed movie that seems S&S-ish.
I can understand how someone reading a plot summary could arrive to that conclusion. However, I would say it is very far from what I think of when somebody says "Sword & Sorcery movie". It aims for far different feelings and emotions, taking itself very seriously, being super serious and theatrical and "arty". It does contains many elements from the genre, but if I have to find any connection, I'd call it a deconstruction of the genre (not saying that was its intention). Anyhoo, it certainly did not slake my thirst for "proper" S&S goodness.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
We also have The Witcher on television, which goes a long way to making up for the lack.
I really wish I could agree, but I find that the way the showrunners have revealed themselves wanting to take their show in a "new direction" rather than remaining faithful to Andrzej Sapkowski's works (or CD Projekt Red's works for that matter) manifests in unfortunate ways.

Yora

Legend
"Not Lord of the Rings" is literally the most fundamental definition of Sword & Sorcery. That's why Moorcock and Leiber were thinking about creating a new term for their works in the first place.

aco175

Legend
I love Sword and Sorcery, still cannot believe the movie was voted out early in the poll last month. Talk about CGI

1668034449135.png
1668034513353.png

People didn't like the 2011 Conan the Barbarian reboot with Jason Momoa, but I did.
It was entertaining but totally forgettable. And (if I haven't forgotten) it is more a good vs. evil Heroic Fantasy plot rather than sword and sorcery.
Onward is more of a kids' buddy movie, but I think technically fits.
Heroic fantasy, sure. Sword and Sorcery? Not even close.

The Great Wall has sword and sorcery elements.

Remove ads