• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Return of Sword & Sorcery Cinema?

nikolai

First Post
Hi all;

I'm resurecting the thread for some good news about Conan. The latest is that Boaz Yakin has been hired by Warner as a writer and possible director. Word is he's aiming to be faithful to Robert E. Howard's short stories. Production is looking to start in 2007, for a 2008 release. There have been a lot of stalled attempts over the years, here's hoping this one will make it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23599

Ranger REG

Explorer
horacethegrey said:
Anyone here think that Elric would be perfect as an anime? It's tragic themes and apocalyptic leanings are just the sort of stuff the Japanese eat up. Plus, as someone mentioned, Moorcock loves Yoshitaka Amano's illustrations of Elric, so at least we already have a character designer at hand. :p
*shrugs*

If you say so, as long as Dragonlance does not get the anime treatment.

(Sorry, not so much a fan of Elric.) ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
James Heard said:
Does that mean it gets a bath and massage?

A bunch of Turkish fans decided "Well, we can't make a Dragonlance movie... but we can make a trailer for a Dragonlance movie!"

Oh, the horror.

-Hyp.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
James Heard said:
Somehow I think Vin Diesel is a shoo-in for Elric, because John Travolta and Nick Cage are too old. If they make Samuel L Jackson Elric though, I wouldn't be surprised.
I envision Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I saw him in the BBC's Gormenghast as Steerpike. The attitude, the thin physique. If anyone could pull off Elric, it's him.

James Heard

Explorer
Eric Anondson said:
I envision Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I saw him in the BBC's Gormenghast as Steerpike. The attitude, the thin physique. If anyone could pull off Elric, it's him.
Maybe, but that would probably be a signal that everyone else in the movie was a B list too because he hasn't really done anything "Hollywood noteworthy" as a leading man.

I guess what I'm saying is that he's pretty obscure for a movie unless you're expecting IT to be obscure. Put Vin in though, and you're saying "This movie has the full backing of the studio, because it's Vin Diesel killing people." You'd need other people in/on the movie to pull in the investment to make the movie, like a big name director, to manage to sooth the uncertainty of a Jonathan Rhys Meyers Elric.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Eric Anondson said:
Isn't that the same guy who was in Bend it Like Beckham, and played Elvis in a TV mini-series?

Remove ads