The Return of Volo; Plus An Official D&D Coloring Book

A couple of new non-rules Dungeons & Dragons books are being released later this year. A Monsters & Heroes of the Realms Colouring Book, and a book from Forgotten Realms travel guide Volo in a book called Dungeonology. The former is expected in September, and the latter in November. They've being produced by Kings Road Publishing, who have signed a global deal with Hasbro UK and WotC (this the GBP prices below). (thanks to Mike for the scoop).

A couple of new non-rules Dungeons & Dragons books are being released later this year. A Monsters & Heroes of the Realms Colouring Book, and a book from Forgotten Realms travel guide Volo in a book called Dungeonology. The former is expected in September, and the latter in November. They've being produced by Kings Road Publishing, who have signed a global deal with Hasbro UK and WotC (this the GBP prices below). (thanks to Mike for the scoop).

Monsters & Heroes of the Realms: A Dungeons & Dragons Colouring Book.
Paperback; £9.99; September 2016. "A treasure trove of illustrations summoned from the pages of the official rulebooks – including the many classes, races and monsters from the Forgotten Realms. Studio Game will also be offering D&D fans a "unique" digital experience, in a free-to-download colouring app with in-app purchasing."

Dungeonology. Hardback; £19.99; November 2016. "Introducing the fantasy brand, Dungeons & Dragons to Kings Road Publishing’s Ology series, as the Forgotten Realms guide, Volo, takes fans on an "unforgettable" journey".

The colouring book also comes with a mobile app which will be available when the book itself is released.

The character Volothamp Geddarm (Volo) is a traveller of the Realms, who publishes a range of "guidebooks".

99716999-8.jpg

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Pretty sure Greenwood doesn't have ANY rights to the Realms or any characters from the Realms, including Elminster! The Forgotten Realms is owned lock, stock, and barrel by WotC, and they can do whatever they want with the setting without worrying about Greenwood.

I have heard that anything that Ed writes for the Realms, that is not contradicted by WotC, is official.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Not so fast.

Pretty sure Greenwood doesn't have ANY rights to the Realms or any characters from the Realms, including Elminster! The Forgotten Realms is owned lock, stock, and barrel by WotC, and they can do whatever they want with the setting without worrying about Greenwood.

Ed Greenwood retains certain rights to the Forgotten Realms, owing to the original agreement between Ed and TSR (now WotC), just as WotC has certain responsibilities it must abide by to retain its rights to the Realms.

For example, if over a twelve month period no new, original Realms product is written by Ed Greenwood and published, the rights return to Ed. Although the original agreement indicated novel-length fiction, it's understood to include sourcebooks.

WotC can do a whole heck of a lot with the Realms--like having someone besides Ed write Elminster novels, or someone besides Salvatore write Drizzt novels--but they may not do anything they want with the setting, contrary to the original agreement.

This new product sounds very interesting. I had not heard of the "Ology" series of books before now, and thanks to the enthusiastic comments on this thread I want to get my grubby hands on the books in print.

I do hope Ed at least consults on this product. Volo's voice is unique and authentic, and both WotC and Templar have the responsibility of getting it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xavian Starsider

First Post
It wouldn't be the first time Volo made an appearance without Ed writing him. I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely that Ed Greenwood wrote his dialogue for his appearance in the tavern in the original Baldur's Gate.

Dire Bare

Legend
It is, Ed himself said so.

[sblock]View attachment 76171[/sblock]

What Jeremy said is also true. So WotC still has to respect some conditions and can't just do as they please.

Okay, I'll buy that Ed's writings aren't just official because WotC likes him, but in addition to that, it's contractual. And I'll buy that there's a reversion clause, that if WotC doesn't meet certain conditions the Realms reverts to Greenwood.

But what "restrictions" must WotC abide by, why can't they do "anything they want" with the Realms? It's not so much that I'm doubting this (although, truthfully, I am), but I'm curious what restrictions WotC might be under regarding the Realms.

Irennan

Explorer
Okay, I'll buy that Ed's writings aren't just official because WotC likes him, but in addition to that, it's contractual. And I'll buy that there's a reversion clause, that if WotC doesn't meet certain conditions the Realms reverts to Greenwood.

But what "restrictions" must WotC abide by, why can't they do "anything they want" with the Realms? It's not so much that I'm doubting this (although, truthfully, I am), but I'm curious what restrictions WotC might be under regarding the Realms.

Jeremy explained that. WotC has to contract Ed to write at least 1 book/novel every year, or the rights revert to him. Now that I think about it, my wording was somewhat misleading, sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads