The ripping of character sheets

lukelightning

First Post
In the game I'm DMing, I made a sort of "anti-party" called "The Ironheart Gang" who are rivals of the PCs (and they are total jerks as well). I've done a masterful job of getting my players to totally hate them; they haven't met them head on in combat yet, but they will soon. And if they do kill any of the Ironhearts I might give 'em the sheets to rip up in triumph.

bento

Explorer
I had a player a couple of months ago furiously rip up his own sheet in frustration after going down to 0 HP.

We're all startled by it, shake our heads and then proceed to go off on him that he's got 9 points before he's dead.

He sheepishly asks for some tape....

Templetroll

Explorer
Way back when, in the early 80s, we were in a game and the DM reached across the table, snatched up the character sheet of a recently deceased and ripped it in half. Took three of us to hold back the player from following it across the table! He was seriously pi... annoyed.

The DM didn't even ask about running for a few months after that. No one else in our group ever ripped a character sheet up.

Templetroll

Explorer
lukelightning said:
In the game I'm DMing, I made a sort of "anti-party" called "The Ironheart Gang" who are rivals of the PCs (and they are total jerks as well). I've done a masterful job of getting my players to totally hate them; they haven't met them head on in combat yet, but they will soon. And if they do kill any of the Ironhearts I might give 'em the sheets to rip up in triumph.

Make sure they loot the body first!!!!!!

KB9JMQ

First Post
Sejs said:
I find the idea quite rude and disrespectful.

You do not rip up something that does not belong to you. That includes your player's character sheet.

Even beyond that, it seems a very hollow gesture. Pointless grandstanding. Sophmoric ego-stroking. Completely uncessary and rather juvenile.

Couldn't say it better myself. I have never seen this done.
I like keeping them (as the DM) if the player doesnt mind for nostalgic purposes.

Aaron L

Hero
Mr Jack said:
*shrugs* either/or. I'd consider someone who got upset by the practice just as much of an ass as someone who practices it.

Im baffled as to why you would consider someone an ass for disliking thier property being mutilated?

The_Gneech

Explorer
As a player, if that was done to me, I'd blink a few times in a "WTF did you just do?" kind of way, then leave, I suspect. Life to short to game with a crashing boor.

As a DM, when the players have defeated a BBEG, I've shouted out, "And DOWN he goes!" torn the villain's stats out of my notebook, and tossed them away like so much discarded trash -- the players always love that. :) Makes 'em feel all kickbuttey.

-The Gneech :cool:

rgard

Adventurer
Sejs said:
I find the idea quite rude and disrespectful.

You do not rip up something that does not belong to you. That includes your player's character sheet.

Even beyond that, it seems a very hollow gesture. Pointless grandstanding. Sophmoric ego-stroking. Completely uncessary and rather juvenile.

I'll agree with all the above.

On another note. I keep copies of some of my players' character sheets. Usually only ask for a new one after the character gains two levels. As a result I have binder full of potential NPCs to use in the campaign.

So I would add 'stupid' to the description of the DM who rips up character sheets, unless he/she enjoys making up NPCs from whole cloth.

Thanks,
Rich

Seeten

First Post
I would sue for damages.

Of course, ripping up my laptop like that is a really destructive and foolish thing to do, so he had it coming.

Crothian

First Post
Aaron L said:
Im baffled as to why you would consider someone an ass for disliking thier property being mutilated?

It's a sheet of paper. If someone rips a piece a paper and a person jumps over the table to get the ripper, I see the potential assult quite an over reaction. Just becasue the guy ripping the sheet is in the wrong, doesn't make over reacting right.

Remove ads