• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Risen Goddess (Updated 3.10.08)

(contact)

Explorer
47—Home Again, Home Again.

The six figures stand outside the golden doors—Taran with his hands on his knees, still trying to fully gather his breath after taking a vicious blow from Gutlhais. Indianichus examines the writing on the doors, using a light spell to ward off the long shadows from the cliff walls. Kyreel, Thelbar, Ahl-Ithevia and Elminster stand huddled, discussing the implications of recent events. Khelben had excused himself immediately after exiting the demi-plane, and citing pressing business, teleported into the ethers.

Elminster proves himself more of a gentleman than his arrogant companion, and takes the arm of the elderly elven holy woman, leading her toward the party’s nearby campsite. As they walk, he tells the group of how he came to find himself the blood-slave of an elven vampire.

Khelben had contacted him a week ago, and told him that there was a cult making noise in Waterdeep about the mystery of the new stars—claiming that they were responsible, and that the stars heralded the return of an ancient elven goddess. Worse yet, the rumor was that this cult was preaching an anti-elven agenda, speaking out against the return of the elves to Faerun. Elminster, always known to be an elf-friend, and widely rumored (true, he asserts) to be one of the primary architects of the Elven Return, determined to look in to the matter, and if there was any trouble, to deal with it.

He conferred with his goddess through potent divinations, and asked her to name the one person unaffiliated with the cult who knows or will know the most about their history, goals and practices. He was given Ahl-Ithevia, a name he had recognized immediately for her prominent role within her church. But Ahl-Ithevia’s superiors could not produce her, and told Elminster that she had gone alone to the Great Scar. Unobserved, he discovered her arguing the golden doors and determined that whatever lay beyond, it would be better for everyone if he crossed the boundary, rather than wait for an elven religious debate to be concluded! “After all,” he says, “despite rumors to the contrary, I won’t live forever.”

He contacted Khelbin Blackstaff, and confident that they would prove more than a match for whatever they might find on the other side of the golden doors, he wished the two of them into the heart of the matter. Literally.

Gulthais fell upon them, and without access to their magics, the two most famous wizards of Faerun were essentially helpless. Gutlthais had drained them leisurely for days, but surely would have soon killed them both. Elminster the Sage of Shadowdale, and Khelben Arunsun owe the party their lives.

For their part, Thelbar and Kyreel explain the truth of the new stars, and their role in returning them. They tell their stunned audience about the Risen Goddess, her relationship to the elven pantheon, and her new role as the creator of the pasoun.

Ahl-Ithevia is shocked speechless. After several silent hours where she either meditates or prays, she thanks the group for their assistance, and uses a word of recall to travel home. Elminster as well, regards the group with a canny expression and takes his leave, promising to be in touch. Before he disappears, he says “If I can ever be of assistance to you—just call on me.”

The four Champions of the Risen Goddess look at one another, then prepare to head home.

“Hey Thel,” Taran says, “you forgot to ask him about your mage-fair.”

Thelbar smiles to himself and pats his brother on the shoulder. “Oh, I won’t have to ask his permission for anything ever again, brother.”

-----

Within days, Thelbar has begun construction of his mage’s college at Mistledale. Taran has returned to the steady ritual of training his Riders, and Kyreel and Indy fall to crafting magic items. Kyreel enhances the weapons and armor of the Champions, and presents Taran with a sun blade—a bastard sword identical to Black Lisa in size and mass, but magically light. The sun blade is balanced like a shorter weapon, allowing Taran to wield it in his off hand. He names his new sword Little Sister, and takes to gleefully engaging his top lieutenants in live-edge sparring matches. His select group of top-shelf warriors begins making a reputation for themselves as unusually hard men, and tenacious combatants.

Thelbar crafts a robe of the archmagi for himself, deigning not to name it, but assuring the group that his enemies will have more to fear now than ever before. Kyreel crafts a bastard sword for herself, a flaming, holy weapon.

In all, the group spends three months researching spells, training, crafting magic items, and in the case of Taran, staying drunk and cavorting with Jhanira Barasstan, the local priestess of Chauntea. Juron and Glim slowly adapt to life as domestic servants, for despite their role helping Taran to train the Riders of Mistledale, they spend the majority of their time keeping up the adventurer’s household, and running errands.

After this three-month span, Indy announces that he can no longer remain with the group. He is incensed that the party has brushed aside his repeated assertions that his lady-love Evaliegh is in need of assistance. He announces that if his so-called adventuring companions won’t fly to his aid, he will go it alone. That next morning, Indy leaves for the gate to Greyhawk, and vows not to return until he has found a cure for Evaliegh’s condition.

------

As the mage’s college takes shape, Thelbar and Kyreel are able to arrange for the teleportation of the entirety of Palatin Eremath’s Waterdhavian faithful to Mistledale, and provide for their living quarters.

The party establishes Mistledale as the permanent home for Palatin Eremath’s church in Faerun. Of course, the church brings with it the statue of the Risen Goddess, liberated from Undermountain, and build an appropriate shrine for the artifact. The folk of Mistledale are uneasy with the presence of Palatin Eremath worshipping drow in their midst, but in light of the recent peace, come to an uneasy acceptance of their new townsfolk.

Another month passes by uneventfully, and spring gives way to fall, but one evening the entire town leaves their homes to witness a massive celestial phenomenon—a huge spark shower fills the night sky with a mysterious glowing light, and while no two people can agree on its meaning, everyone who sees the shower is filled with a sense that they have just witnessed something grand.

The next morning, Taran, Thelbar and Kyreel are informed that they have visitors. As they gather in their parlor, they are greeted by Elminster of Shadowdale, along with a pair of doughty-looking adventurers wearing cloak-pins that identify them as Harpers, members of Faerun’s mysterious intelligence network.

After greetings are exchanged, and the group updates Elminster on their recent activities, Taran asks him, “so what’s with the bodyguards?”

Elminster replies that shortly after the group rescued him from the Heart of Nightfang Spire, he was set upon by none other than Klauth, an ancient red dragon, said to be the oldest and most foul of his kind walking the earth. Elminster tells them that he was able to escape the encounter with his life, but only by the barest of margins, and has determined to travel with companions by his side for the time being.

The real reason for his visit is revealed when he asks pointedly what the group knows about the spark showers of the night before. Thelbar explains that he knows nothing more than any other witness to the event, and Elminster seems satisfied with the answer. He goes on, however, to relate several other mysterious happenings that took place at the same time.

Apparently, there is a second new star in the night sky, this one very near to the star of Palatin Eremath. This of course, causes men of wisdom to assume that the two events are related, and brought Elminster here. In addition to the second star’s appearance, mariners off the coast near Waterdeep witnessed another portent. A huge school of whales surfaced and began an eerie song that lasted for the entire night. In the High Forest, Harpers adventuring there reported that the trees themselves spoke the phrase “Praise be Palatin Eremath. Sharlequannan is reborn.

The high priest of Palatin Eremath is summoned, but can add nothing to the discussion. The name of Sharlaquannan is unknown to the faith of the Risen Goddess. If the goddess is sending portents to the mortal realm, she is not favoring her chosen with any unique insight.

Elminster thanks the group for its time, and sits down to a meal before he leaves. During the meal, one of Elminster’s bodyguards approaches Taran, Thelbar and Kyreel with an offer of membership in the Harpers. The organization, he says, are always on the lookout for capable adventurers who seem intent on furthering the cause of good, and the Champions of the Risen Goddess are considered prime candidates by no less august a personage as Khelbin Blackstaff himself. The group thanks the man for the compliment, and says that they will take it into consideration, but likely will decline, claiming that their time is not their own, and it is the will of Palatin Eremath that sets their agenda.

After the meal, Elminster and his group take their leave, Juron and Glim return to their interrupted drinking binge, and Taran returns to Jhanira to brag about his invitation.

Last edited:

(contact)

Explorer
The Risen Goddess

48—A Dark Offer.

Several days after Elminster’s visit, the group receives another trio of unannounced guests. Juron summons the party, telling them that three peasant-folk of unknown origin have arrived begging an audience. When the group returns to their home, they find the three strangers relaxing in the dining-room under the watchful gaze of Glim. As the Champions arrive, an old woman, a younger woman and a middle-aged man stand ceremoniously and regard them.

The old woman looks the group over. “Dark and fell heroes,” she begins, but is interrupted by the male.

“These are the ones who supposedly cut the Spider Queen’s web?” he says, looking the group up and down with a shrewd eye. “I doubt that. They are nothing.”

“Look here, fella,” Taran growls and moves toward the man.

Thelbar places a hand on Taran’s shoulder and says in Isenthanian Proper, “Peace brother—these three are not what they seem. My arcane sight reveals them to be great indeed. Beware.” Then in common, Thelbar says, “We do not deal with those who will not reveal their true forms. Show yourselves, or leave our home.”

At that, the older woman smiles, and baring yellowed teeth, she waves a hand. In an instant, their seeming is dispelled, revealing three drow. An ancient woman, wearing the ritual garb of Lloth, a younger drow woman, astonishingly beautiful, and obviously her kin, along with a drow male, dressed in the robes of a wizard. All three are heavily festooned with weapons and magical items.

“Allow me to introduce ourselves properly,” the old woman says. I am the matriarch of House Banare, and a high priestess to our dread Queen. This is my Sword, Nathe, and we are accompanied by Shamath Ilmyrn, patriarch of the city of Szith Morcane. We have come to enlist your service for our Spider Queen. Failing that, we intend to kill you.”

Taran, who has been staring intently at the younger drow woman regards the old priestess quizzically. “What did you just say? Oh, no you didn’t . . .” But before he can draw his swords, he is restrained for a second time by Thelbar who interposes himself between Taran and the matriarch.

“We do not give any service to the followers of Lolth, and we are not frightened by their threats. This audience is at an end.”

But the matriarch is unruffled, and she continues as if Thelbar had not spoken at all. “Your existence is an affront to the entire drow world. We know you have lived before, and we know that in past times you were the cause of Our Dread Queen’s banishment from this world. While I find this personally very hard to believe, I am assured by her highest servants that this is true. In fact, her hatred of you is so great that you are favored above all surface-worlders with her Mark of Death. It is plainly visible to her faithful, and all who see it are bidden to destroy you.”

She looks squarely at Thelbar. “I have read your book in the City of Doors, gray one. I know of your lost empire, and your living children. I can shade your mark, and remove this curse from your heads.”

“Yeah, so drow won’t try to kill us anymore,” Taran laughs. “To tell the truth, I kind of like it when drow try to kill us. Saves us the trouble of hunting you down.”

“If you refer to the outcast whelps you defeated in the Cormanthyr forest, we are not impressed,” the young woman says to him, staring balefully into his eyes. Taran stares back, his sword hand twitching.

Thelbar regards the matron mother. “And what brings you to this point of desperation, that you would make such a sacrilegious offer to those you are supposedly bound to kill?”

“Lolth has chosen to go silent. I have heard her voice only once in the last two months, and she spoke your names.”

Taran smirks and says, “Are you sure she wasn’t just having a nightmare?”

The old woman continues as if he hadn’t spoken. “Our Queen is testing her faithful. Through her silence, she will soon discover who holds true to her ways and who is false. Even now, the traitors scramble to reveal themselves to her all-seeing eyes. In the interim, however, enemies of the true drow Queen have seized this opportunity to take some small power and threaten both my people and your own.”

“Yeah, I guess it sucks to be you,” Taran says. “So why don’t you get the f--k out before I ruin the new carpet.” He looks at the male drow. “With your insides.”

“Brother, please.” Thelbar says in common. “How many times must I instruct you to bide and be still?” After a moment, he turns to the matron mother. “My brother is impetuous and has not understood your offer,” he says in Undercommon. “Please continue.”

The matron mother smiles thinly. “This is what you are left with if you do not beat them soundly enough.” She continues in common. “As I was saying. The cult of Kiransalee has seized the city of Maermydra, and we have been instructed to compel your service to remove them from this position.

“In exchange, we will remove from your head the curse-mark of Lolth.”

Taran bursts out laughing. “Excuse me Thel, I’m really sorry I’m a rude bastard and everything, but you can’t be taking this seriously. They want us to go to war with somebody because their goddess went to sleep on the job, and in exchange, we won’t be attacked by the people that we generally kill on sight anyway? Sure.”

Kyreel says, “The matron mother was not finished.”

The old woman continues. “You will kill Irae T’ssarion, high priestess of Lolth, and you will prevent her from launching her planned assault on the surface worlds. Maermydra lies directly below our feet, and your community sleeps with the false hope of living to see the next harvest if you do not do as I say. Commune the truth of it, if you do not believe me. You will kill T’ssarion and retrieve a child that is her captive. The child’s name is Sharlequannan, and she is one of mine.”

At this, Kyreel and Thelbar exchange glances.

“Further,” she looks at Thelbar. “If you assist me with my child, I will reveal to you the location of your children.”

“I do not have children, matron mother,” Thelbar says. “You are mistaken.”

“No, Thelbar the Grey, it is you who are ignorant. You do not own your past, and have lost knowledge of it. But do not look at me askance, it is the goddess you serve who has robbed you of your own truth.”

The male drow steps forward. “I can offer you directions to Maermydra, and give you these.” He presents a trio of pendants, carved with a single drowish rune. “They will mark you to the eyes of the Spider Queen’s faithful, and compel them to render you service. These runes represent the highest order of her faith, and will be obeyed.”

“And if they are not, the drow in question are not faithful and should die anyway.” The matron mother says.

The mage continues. “I can outline the likely guardians and obstacles you will face, but I do not know how Kiransalee’s faithful may have changed the city since I saw it last. Personally, I doubt your worthiness, but who am I to question the will of the goddesses? If you succeed, the rewards will be great. Kiransalee’s faith is a wealthy one, even by our standards, and of course you may keep what you can seize along the way.”

“We will consider your offer,” Thelbar says.

“But we serve Palatin Eremath.” Kyreel adds.

“And we will not work against our own,” Thelbar finishes.

“Very well, we will give you until sundown tomorrow,” the mage says. “We will await your answer here. Show us to our quarters.”

“Sure,” Taran says. “Go out that door, down to the crossroads, take a right and keep walking until you die. You can’t miss it.”

coyote6

Adventurer
Hey, I didn't know you could take negative ranks in Diplomacy, like Taran did! :D

Great stuff (as usual), (contact).

So is this a prelude to City of the Spider Queen?

(contact)

Explorer
Yes it is, so SPOILER ALERT-- the next couple of chapters contains elements from the City of the Spider Queen, so if your group is planning on playing it, you should buy your DM Monte Cook's excellent adventure The Banewarrens to play instead of CotSQ, and read this thread. :)

The CotSQ presented here has been heavily modified, and ties in rather intricately with the rest of the Risen Goddess' plot lines. In fact, it's a really huge deal for the campaign, but if any of you don't want spoilers for CotSQ, let me know and I'll post no-spoiler plot summaries for you as we go.

incognito

First Post
meta-game question:

Is it possible for Taran to actually get himself into trouble by being so mouthy? Or are all NPCs the type to be of a low(er) CR, so he can be contemptous.

Would be intersting to see black lisa-placed where the (dark) sun don't shine.

Thelbar on the other hand, needs to take some macho pills. I hear louind and clear that he is a careful thinker, but he is getting disrespected in his own house...

Q2. Was there any tension btwn Kyreel, and the Drow?

Q3. WAs there another PC besides Indy who is currenly MIA? [Gorquen?}

(contact)

Explorer
Is it possible for Taran to actually get himself into trouble by being so mouthy? Or are all NPCs the type to be of a low(er) CR, so he can be contemptous.

Oh, no-- those NPCs would have killed us all dead-- I'm guessing they were about 16th-18th level themselves, and we were between 13th and 16th. If Taran had understood that he might have acted differently, but I couldn’t see any way for him to figure out what *I* already knew at a metagame level.

But that was the tension point of the scene-- Thelbar could see (via a permanent arcane sight) just how powerful those baddies were, but Taran didn't get it.

Remember, Taran isn't very smart. He does get his comeuppance though (twice!), so be patient. ;) After taking some ass-whoopings, Thelbar decides to do something about Taran’s . . . deficiencies, and that pays some dividends. But we’ll get to that later.

Would be interesting to see black lisa-placed where the (dark) sun don't shine.

This essentially happens next chapter (or the one after, I forget exactly), so stay tuned.

Thelbar on the other hand, needs to take some macho pills. I hear loud and clear that he is a careful thinker, but he is getting disrespected in his own house...

Thelbar knew instantly that the PCs were hopelessly outmatched. He was trying to resolve the situation so that the matron mother didn't have to carry through on her threat to kill us if we turned them down.

Thelbar gets his ass-whup on when he thinks he can win.

And yes, later on it *does* make sense why the goddess (es) would select a bunch of 13th-level nobodies when they already have some 17th-18th level bad-as$es to go to. You know that had to just *kill* the drow mage—begging favors of his lessers, and do-gooding surface worlders to boot!

Q2. Was there any tension btwn Kyreel, and the Drow?

Not on Kyreel's part. The drow can't stand her, but she believes in the doctrine of Palatin Eremath --that evil is merely an early stage of all souls' inevitable journey to the good. But who do the drow hate more, a dark elf sell-out, or the soul who was most responsible for their goddess being banished from the Prime Material? Kyreel is both of those things, and you can be sure that her current race was chosen as a very, very specific statement.

This story-line is where some of the PCs unresolved past-life stuff starts coming to the foreground. Nothing is wasted in Palatin Eremath’s faith.

Q3. Was there another PC besides Indy who is currently MIA? (Gorquen?)

Yes, Gorquen, elven fighter. She was the woman who adventured with Indy during the infamous “it’s not the size of the cudgel, it’s the heft of the swing” adventure (Chapters 19-21). Gorquen is played by the woman who plays Prisantha in my Liberation of Tenh game, and only makes very rare appearances at this game.

• From Chapter 29:

Gorquen examines the statue, a look of wonderment on her face. "She . . ." Gorquen trails off for a moment and looks at Elita, who has tears in her eyes. "That's my . . . that's an Ahk Velar fighting stance," Gorquen says.

"And look at her birthmark," Elita whispers. "Gorquen, this statue is you."

"Palatin Eremath," Gorquen says, "she is Ishlok!"

Gorquen left the party to shepherd the statue of the Risen Goddess out of Undermountain along with the Ermathian faithful. That branch of the Ermathian faith is now based out of Mistledale (with the PCs from this campaign), but Gorquen is off on other adventures for her goddess.

Soon, we'll see how what the Champions of the Risen Goddess are doing in the Dalelands are impacted by what Gorquen is simultaneously doing in the High Forest.

This campaign story-line and meta-plot has branched out and been running in three separate D&D games for about the last 2 months. It's been a really successful experiment, and produced some very interesting scenes.

It also has completely refuted my earlier claim that we are less evil to these PCs than we are to others, but I can’t give anything away . . .

Last edited:

(contact)

Explorer
49—How Little We Know.

That night, the group debates the best course of action, and their divinations reveal that in essence, the drow have been truthful. Lolth has gone silent; Irae T’ssarion has taken the city of Maermydra, and plans to launch an attack on the surface. In the end, it is this last piece of information, along with the name of Sharlequannan that compels the Champions of the Risen Goddess.

“We are decided, then,” Kyreel says. We must go to this place and do this thing. The child will come before the statue of Palatin Eremath, that the goddess may gaze upon her.”

“Well, killing drow is usually good,” Taran says, then adds “except for the good drow. Killing them is bad.”

“Succinctly put, brother,” Thelbar says. “Your moral compass is unclouded.” And to Kyreel, “We are decided. This mystery of Sharlequannan must be unraveled, and our charges here in the Dalelands must be kept safe.”

-----

That night, none of the Champions sleep deeply or well. Several hours before dawn, Taran rises from his brooding when he hears soft footsteps entering his room. Nathe, the sword-maiden to the matron mother is standing before him, divested of her traveling robes but still wearing a pair of short swords at her hip. She moves toward the beefy fighter casually, and with no haste.

“What are you doing here?” Taran asks. Shouldn’t you be planning something evil, or something?” When she does not reply, he rises, and places his hand on Black Lisa’s hilt. “You’re going to have to replace those little knives you carry if you want to fight me.”

“Skill counts more than size,” She says. “If you draw that blade, I will disarm you,”

“A smart girl wouldn’t try it,” Taran growls as Nathe steps within his reach. He stares into her eyes for a long moment. “Because I’ll kill you dead.”

For a moment, the two warriors regard one another stonily, and then Taran takes her into his arms in a passionate embrace.

-----

The three drow leave as quietly as they came, after briefing the group on their objective and route through the Underdark. In the dining room, Taran, Juron and Glim begin preparing adventuring packs for the group, while Kyreel and Thelbar commune with Palatin Eremath. They ask several questions:

• “Is Irae T’ssarion actually building an army?”
    Yes.
    “Does she intend to attack the surface with it?”
    Yes.
“Damn it all,” Taran says, “Now we have to kill her.”

• “Will killing Irae T’sarrion lead to Lolth’s priesthood regaining their spells?”
    Indirectly.
“Goddess curse every last drow!” Taran swears. “Except you, Ky.”

• “Do the forces of Irae T’ssarion await in ambush?”
    No.
    “Does Matron mother want us to succeed?”
    Yes.
    “Does Matron Mother intend to betray us once we have killed Irae T’ssarion?”
    Yes.
    “Do they intend to betray us in the Underdark?”
    No.
    “Will we be able to find allies in the drow cities?”
    Yes.
    “Will these allies be drowish?”
    Yes and no.
    “Will they be found within Irae T’ssarion’s organization?”
    No.
    “Are there any other adventurers seeking this goal?”
    Yes.
    “If left alone, will Irae T’ssarion attack Lolth’s priesthood?”
    Yes.
    “If left alone, will Irae T’ssarion attack the Dalelands?”
    Yes.
    “Is Irae T’ssarion aware of Sharlequannan’s significance?”
    Yes.
    “Does Irae T’ssarion intend to kill Sharlequannan?”
    Yes, although such a thing would be exceedingly difficult for her.
    “Is the priesthood of Lolth aware of Sharlequannan’s significance?”
    The mother matron is aware.
    “Does the matron mother intend to kill the child?”
    She intends to make the child in her own image.
    “Does Thelbar actually have children?”
    Yes.
    “Do Kyreel or Taran have living family from a past life?”
    No, your loved ones were slain.
    “Do the drow actually know the whereabouts of Thelbar’s children?”
    Yes.
    “Do they intend to lead us to the children, as promised?”
    No.
    “Would the children recognize Thelbar?”
    No.
    “Are the children in the prime material plane?”
    Yes.
    “Are they in Faerun?”
    Yes.
    “Are they in the Dalelands?”
    No.
    “Are they warded against scrying?”
    No.
    “Are they safe from the drow?”
    No, although they have a powerful guardian.
    “Is this guardian a friend?”
    Yes, it is a trusted servant.
-----

Following the commune spells, Kyreel divines a course of action. She sits still, and composes herself for a moment, then states the course of action aloud. Within a few seconds, she replies to her own question, in a powerful and resonant tone.

“Mother, pull the future from our eyes and instruct us. If we seek the course of direct action against Irae T’ssarion, with the goal of killing her, how will we fare?”

Those that follow through may receive enlightenment.

Kyreel looks up and says, “I am satisfied.”

“As am I,” Thelbar says. “We stay the course.”

Taran stops packing and whines, “Aw, c’mon Ky. Ask my question!”

Kyreel regards him, then slips back into her trance. “Mother pull the future from our eyes and instruct us,” she begins. “If we hunt down and kill the drow who made us that offer, how will we fare?”

Their souls hang in the balance, and we may offer them salvation.

“Well crap,” Taran says. “Does that mean yes or no?”

(contact)

Explorer
49, Continued

Thelbar prepares his own scrying device, and after undergoing his ritual, gains a vision of his two children. A young man and woman, they are obviously twins. There is something familiar about their features that tugs at Thelbar’s heart, and stirs long-forgotten feelings and memories within him. He teleports to their location, and is immediately approached by a swarthy human male, who bends a knee and addresses Thelbar as “my lord”.

Thelbar’s arcane sight reveals that there is a powerful illusion on the man, and addresses him. “You are my servant, and the guardian of these two?”

“I am, my lord.”

“And these are my children?”

“They are, my lord.”

The two youths look at Thelbar curiously, and Thelbar notes the spell component pouches at their waists with a fierce and unexpected pride.

The young woman says, “I do not doubt our noble guardian, but pray tell me, stranger, how we can be confronted by a father who is not familiar to us, and who recognizes us not. This man does not match your descriptions, Salim. How is this possible?”

“I have entered the pasoun,” Thelbar says by way of explanation. “I do not remember you.”

“Then we are even,” the young man says.

“I brought them here for you, my lord.” Salim says. “I have taught them many secrets, and keep them safe from your enemies. Your Goddess’ name be praised, for it is all as it was said. You have returned.”

“You are not what you seem,” Thelbar says to the man.

“I am not, my lord. I came into your service many years ago, at the hands of your magic, which was even greater then than now. I will serve for many more years, faithfully and well, as our agreement still binds me, whatever form you wear.”

After a pause where Salim scrutinizes Thelbar closely, he remarks, “I often think what a curious thing it must be to be mortal. There are few in this multiverse who can match intrigues with me, my lord.” After a moment, Salim continues. “For that reason, I was given the guardianship of your most precious treasure when you left us to die. You bade me bring them to this world, and instructed me to wait. Thus have I done, for many years. You and your brother angered a great king, and were soon to die at his hand.” When Salim sees no recognition on Thelbar’s face, he continues, “but the last joke is on him, for your goddess has brought you back, and his patron has not been so kind. You see, I know where his soul now lies.” Salim says this last with a decidedly disturbing tone.

“You have many enemies, my lord, from your many lives. You collect them the way others might collect treasures or trinkets. There are many who would wish to have these two, in order to harm you.”

“Yes,” Thelbar says. “There are drow now who know of you.”

“These drow, my lord, should be the least of our concerns. They have hated you for only a short while, and their memories, like those of all mortals, are doomed to crumble under time. I was chosen because there are others like me who would have you brought low, and their memories will never fade.”

“Salim is a devil. A pit fiend,” the young man says. “But you turned him from his nature, father, and now he watches over us. I am Corwyn, and this is my sister Esara.” He tells Thelbar that they are sorcerers, the magical blood of their lineage brought to fruition by the training provided by Salim.

The rest of the reunion is stilted, and mercifully brief. Thelbar explains the truth of the Risen Goddess, and entreats both of his children to seek her faith, and commit to the pasoun. Salim remarks that should they ever require aid, he will seek out the church of Palatin Eremath, and bids Thelbar farewell. “Until all you have told me has come to pass, I serve, my lord. May your enemies forever swirl in a morass of confusion, and may your path never be known to them.”

-----

The next morning, the group begins the overland journey to Daggerdale, with the weather obliging, and the heroes make good time under a bright sun and crisp fall air. The trip is surprisingly lighthearted, all things considered, and even Thelbar gets into the spirit of things, favoring the group with a song on his lyre. He strives to remember music from their past lives, with Kyreel or Taran supplying a melody here, or a verse there.

As they sight Daggerdale, Taran speaks up. “Listen,” he begins, “I have to tell you both something. You’ll probably think I’m crazy. Hell, I think I’m crazy, but last night I did something that might be bad.”

“Go on,” Kyreel says soothingly.

“I kind of got involved with someone.”

“Yes, you slept with that drow, Nathe” Thelbar says. “We know.”

“You do?”

“It was obvious, brother. You are like an open book—one with many pictures. Do what you will, but do not forget what I told you on your return from Arabel. Ishlok has blessed us, and set us apart from her other children. A normal man’s life is not for you.”

“Do you love her, Taran?” Kyreel asks.

“I think I might. Or, I’m not sure what love is supposed to feel like, but I feel really good about her, even though I think I should feel really bad. I mean, I might have to kill her later, but I’m starting to think that I couldn’t do it. That’s love, right?”

“I suppose it is,” Kyreel says.

“But what do I tell Jhanira? She’s not going to understand.”

“Tell her the truth, of course. Deceit is well termed a web, Taran. Our enemies use it as their tool, but the righteous should not touch it. Jhanira will understand what she is given to understand, but you must not deceive her. Now, more than ever, the dangers of your life compel you to be fastidious about your own morality. Self-serving is the dubious luxury of others, and not suited to the goddess’ champions. Be truthful, and you will truly be a man.”

-----

Thirty miles away, in Mistledale, Juron sits with his arm around Jhanira, breaking the bad news, and offering her his shoulder to cry on.

Barastrondo

First Post
Oh, dear. Taran, Taran, Taran. One does hope that it's genuine love talking, and not just that "exotic drow-love fever" that comes over... well, judging by the popularity of drow supplements, it's come over most of the d20-buying audience.

I have this sinking feeling that it's all going to end in Taran duplicating Thelbar's father/kids reunion with a couple of half-drow somewhere down the road. Only, you know, with considerably less formal speech.

Or not, but you know. Weird things happen in that Forgotten Realms paradigm.

Remove ads