• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Risen Goddess (Updated 3.10.08)

(contact)

Explorer
50—Descent into the depths of the earth.

The party follows Shamath Ilmyrn’s directions to the crypts of Dodrian, just Southeast of Daggerdale. A series of tombs cut from the living rock, the crypts also contain an entrance into the Underdark, just above the drow city of Szith Morcane. From Szith Morcane, a great underground passage will lead the characters essentially back the way they came, until they arrive at the drow city of Maermydra, directly beneath Mistledale.

Taking this seemingly convoluted route serves two purposes. First, it is actually the most expedient, as the Underdark entrances elsewhere in the Dalelands do not give easy access onto the great passage leading to Maermydra, and second, Szith Morcane is a crucial military target. Firmly under the control of Irae T’ssarion and her followers, Szith Morcane is the most likely staging point for an invasion of the surface. Therefore it must be scouted at the least, and preferably sacked.

The entrance to the crypt of Dodrian is a pair of plain stone doors, carved into the surface of a bluff-face. Two free-standing mausoleums flank the entrance, and after scouting around the openings, Taran signals that there are enemies about, and points to one of the mausoleums.

Taran throws open the door, and to no one’s surprise is immediately set upon by a trio of vampiric drow. There is a brief but furious melee, and one of the creatures almost escapes before its gaseous form is dispelled.

The party searches the once and current corpses, and discovers that they wear military garb, including the house-mark of Irae T’ssarion’s personal guard. Maps and other patrol equipment indicate that they are advance scouts, spending their days here, and their nights gathering information in the Dalelands.

Taran and Thelbar work out as best they can what this group’s reporting schedule must be, and conclude that it will be some time before these scouts are missed. If the party is lucky, Irae T’ssarion will be long gone before they are missed.

The party destroys the corpses of the vampiric scouts, and sets up a base of operations inside the unoccupied mausoleum. That settled, Thelbar memorizes the area for future teleportation, and in an instant, returns the group to Mistledale, announcing that the party requires one further magic item if an entire drow city is to be properly sacked—a portable hole.

Once back in Mistledale, Thelbar and Kyreel set to work creating the wondrous item, but Taran does not join them. He has a heavy heart, and is more unsettled than he has been since he fled from the white dragons in the Great Delve. He walks alone in the forests until the sun sets, and finally manages to gather his resolve. He enters to the temple to Chauntea, and not bothering to announce himself, barges into Jhanira’s quarters. Her temple-maidens tell him that she is not available, and their icy demeanor raises the small hairs along the back of Taran’s neck.

Suspicious, he leaves the temple, and begins to move silently along the trail leading to the small grove where it is Jhanira’s custom to meditate. Along the way, he scans the ground for tracks, and after a few moments, his face contorts into a grim mask, and he turns back for home.

There, he finds Juron and Glim sitting on the front porch steps, playing a cryptic orcish drinking game with a pile of silver pieces and a masterwork dagger. “Hey, Taran!” Juron says, “Thel said that you . . .”

“Shut up, you,” Taran says. He points to Glim. “And you. Shut up. Now, which one of you bastards sold me out?”

There is a long moment of silence as Taran stares at the two men.

“Well?” Taran says. “You’d better start talking, before I do something you’ll regret.”

“But you said shut up,” Glim protests. “We was shutting up.”

“We don’t know who told Jhanira about you and the drow lady, Taran, honest!” Juron says.

“Yeah, we sure didn’t do it,” Glim says.

“How do you know that Jhanira knows, then? I didn’t say she knows.”

Juron and Glim look at one another. “Aw, Taran, it wasn’t us!” Glim says. “You know we’d never!”

“Even though she is a fine woman,” Juron adds. “And deserves a faithful man.”

“What did you just say?” Taran whispers.

“Well, Taran, it ain’t right is all. It ain’t right how you treat her.”

“How I treat her?”

“You know, jumpin’ into the sack with any thing warm and drowish that comes along.”

You’re the traitor, you gap-toothed otyugh!”

“Uh, Taran. Don’t you get all crazy, now—remember what Thelbar said!”

Taran grabs Juron by the shirt and pulls him to his feet. “I’m going to tell you once,” he whispers into the frightened warrior’s face. “Next time I catch you talking to Nathe, you go missing. Get it?” And with that Taran drops Juron, flings the door open, and stomps into the house.

“That went well,” Glim said. “He’s in a good mood.”

-----

Taran finds Kyreel and Thelbar sitting in the parlor, sharing a bottle of wine, maps of the region spread out before them.

Thelbar looks up, “Have you heard the news, brother? Cormyr and Sembia have gone to war. They claim to be fighting over ancient ethnic territorial disputes, but there are rumors of a rogue dwarven hero-cult in the middle of things.”

“Well, what do you want me to do about it?” Taran says as he heads up the stairs.

(contact)

Explorer
50, Continued

In five days time, the portable hole is completed, and the party is ready to begin in earnest their campaign against the drow. As expected, Taran finds no new evidence of activity outside of the crypts, but the inside is guarded by several fell monsters, including abyssal spiders and a crying drow woman.

Crying drow woman?

The party discovers her sobbing to herself in a roughly-hewn cavern, and holding a small bundle. Confused, Kyreel approaches her. “Be still, milady. What is your problem?”

“The problem?” She says, pulling a wand from the bundle. “You just walked into a trap!”

“If I only had a silver piece for every drow who has told me that,” Taran mutters to himself as he whips his swords from their scabbards. The drow woman whirls to face on Kyreel with a fiendish grin, and raises her wand, but Kyreel is too quick for her. She Smites the drow with her holy sword, and drives the woman back before her spell can take effect.

Two drow fighters come rushing out from a hidden alcove, forming a bodyguard for a cackling male wizard. Taran leaps at the crude phalanx, and there are a few confusing moments during which the area becomes a whirl of blades, hasted footwork and cries of pain. But they are all drowish cries, and Taran emerges from the melee unharmed. In the meantime, Thelbar has managed to charm the male wizard, and calls for a succession of hostilities.

The suddenly helpful wizard introduces himself as an exiled spellguard of house Morcane—the ruling house of Szith Morcane, prior to the recent coup. He confirms that Irae T’ssarion and her White Death have taken the city, and are preparing it as a launching point for an assault on the surface.

The city, he says, is reached via a nearby sinkhole. The sinkhole represents the White Death’s most remote guard-post, and gives way to a series of tunnels that lead to the city proper. Szith Morcane is built into the side of a massive chasm, with a myriad of cave openings all linked together by the web of a gargantuan spider. But intruders must beware, he warns the group, only certain of the spider’s strands may be stepped upon. Outsiders run the risk of stepping in the wrong place and becoming a meal for the legendary beast.

The party gets a good description of the city from the man, and discusses bypassing it altogether, but determines that whatever leadership and commanders make Szith Morcane their home, they must die. Taran points out how debilitating the loss of forward command elements can be to an army preparing for a huge assault. Wiping out the White Death in Szith Morcane could set Irae T’ssarion’s war plans back by months, and buy the heroes more time to get to her.

The captured drow wizard suggests to the Champions that they should let him lead the way to Szith Morcane’s wizard order. He tells them that the head of his order is a mage by the name of Solom Ned’razak, and is no friend to the followers of Kiransalee. Certainly Solom would be interested in an alliance with such powerful and worthy individuals as yourselves, he coos.

“Wow,” Taran says in Isenthanian. “What a bootlicker. What did you do to this guy?”

“Never you mind, Taran. The issue at hand is, do we trust them?”

“We can trust them to betray us at thier first convenience,” Kyreel says. “I myself will not enter into any committed alliances with wicked beings such as these drow. We do what we do here we do for our own purposes, remember? I will not be indebted to evil.”

“I agree,” Taran says. “Let’s just go in there under the pretense of alliance, then do the whole village.”

“That is a base deception,” Kyreel complains.

“We will tell no untruths, nor lead them along with any false promises,” Thelbar says. “We will state flatly that we desire nothing less than the dispersal of the city’s population and the collapse of all tunnels leading to the surface. Likely he will spit in our face, which is where your fine plan comes in, brother.”

Turning to his charmed minion, Thelbar returns to speaking Undercommon, “Lead us to Solom Ned’razak. We would speak with him, and make him an offer.”

The party fights one group of sentries, and sneaks past another before they come to the massive chasm that is Szith Morcane. No description could have prepared them for the reality of it—a massive lightless cavern that is more felt than seen, its vast presence large enough to sustain its own air currents and change the complexion all sounds heard within its expanse. As promised, a bewildering labyrinth of web-strands connect the uncountable cave openings, and disappear into the darkness in nearly every direction.

The charmed mage leads the group unerringly to an opening, heavily carved and worked with runes. Once inside, the Champions are hustled quickly past surprised drow apprentices and through several secret doors and stairs. “Stand aside!” Their guide says to no one in particular, “we have important business with Solom Ned’razak!”

“I suspect you’re going to get quite a reward for this,” Thelbar says.

“I suspect you are right surface-worlder,” the drow replies. “I suspect you are right.”

-----

Solom Ned’razak stares balefully at the charmed mage. Tall and thin, Solom is bundled in magical robes and garments, and several separate arcane effects cause his very person to glow with a dull, multi-hued throbbing light. Directly behind him, a small drow woman leans on a spear, and is examining the group with a critical eye.

“You brought these . . . outworlders here, Shamath Ahl’Nathak?”

“Yes, my lord,” the mage crows. “It was I who . . .”

Solom Ned’razak points one long, spindly finger at his underling, and a moment later, the charmed drow is simply gone as if he never was, in his place a thin wisp of powdery dust.

Solom Ned’razak regards the group. “You have come to dispose Irae T’ssarion of her ridiculous war fantasies, I assume.”

“If you mean kill her to ensure the safety of our surface communities, you are correct,” Thelbar says. “And we have a few requirements that you could help us with.”

“I am not accustomed to granting favors.” Solom drawls. “My answer is no.”

Thelbar does not indicate that he has heard the drow’s refusal. “You will personally organize the evacuation and abandonment of this city, and then collapse all tunnels leading to the surface world. I am prepared to be flexible with regards to the timeline.”

Taran stares at Solom Ned’razak, one hand casually resting on Black Lisa’s hilt, a smug smirk on his face. “C’mon, skinny. Say no again.”

Solom makes no verbal reply, but does not need to, as his mastery of the subtle drow sign language is unparalleled. Before any of the Champions realize that he has even given the order, he hastes himself, and rips a chain lightning through the group, knocking Taran backwards and provoking a cry of pain from Thelbar. His bodyguard leaps at Kyreel, and before Taran can pull the two drow apart, the bodyguard has opened several terrible gashes across Kyreel’s belly, and the cleric of Palatin Eremath teeters on the verge of death.

His robes still smoking from the electrical pulse, Thelbar grabs his companions and teleports the Champions of the Risen Goddess back to the sinkhole in the crypt of Dodrian, where they collapse to the ground, shaken and demoralized.

incognito

First Post
oh...oh...oh...OH YEAH!

the first update, 48, was masterfull. Exactly the type of stuff those evil plotting drow would do. MY bad guys never screw themselves over liek they should (mostly becasue my PCs kill them before the flag of truce is out)

for 49

Q1. How many commune spells are being busted out?
Q2. Are there updated PC stat blocks for Taran, Thel, and Kyreel somewhere?

Finally! We see the PCs (specifically Taran), acting more human, - getting his freak on with the Drow body guard, and later, threatening his retainers (how's thier morale now?)

for 50

Q3. I can't remember, when did Taran get involved with Jhanira?
Q4. YOu allow two item creators to 1/2 the time of item creation?
Q5. How is charm handled in your game? BY the std rules threatining action (gee, like killing one's bodyguards!) imposes a
-5 penalty to the save DC.

general notes:

I love the NPC ineraction with the enemies, allowing the players to understand some of the Drow social Dynamic.

Q6. Does Thel realize that Drow have SR? He must right? (having cast spells at them)...

Aaargh! So much to ask about in these posts! Damn, you take a few days of the boards and (contact) gets all prolific on your ass... Je-SUS

annyway, maybe more later, maybe I'll just sulk.

I love this thread :)

(contact)

Explorer
Incognito-- you wanted Taran to get slapped down for being so mouthy and you got it! Solom Ned'Razak punked us out so bad that we just ran for the hills.

Q1. How many commune spells are being busted out?

Two, IIRC, plus a pair of divinations.

Q2. Are there updated PC stat blocks for Taran, Thel, and Kyreel somewhere?

Yes and no-- I have stat blocks from after about chapter 55 or so. I'll go ahead and put them up. At the time of Chapter 50 Kyreel is 13th level, Taran is 14th and Thelbar is 15h. Everyone has raised a level or two since this chapter.

Finally! We see the PCs (specifically Taran), acting more human, - getting his freak on with the Drow body guard, and later, threatening his retainers (how's thier morale now?)

Thier morale had better be on speaking terms with their survival instinct if they want to keep on staying drunk on Taran's tab. Juron sold Taran up the river with Jhaneria, trying to put the make on her!

Taran has always had a weakness for the female persuasion. Thelbar's history with his children and their mother (more to be revealed later, I'm sure) has turned him gun-shy when it comes to love-- he's become the cold fish, while Taran chases skirts wherever he goes.

But Taran's philandering hasn't been too much trouble for him up until now. Of course, it occurs to me as a player that Nathe might be hustling Taran, or setting in motion some drow plot within a plot either against her matron mother, or against the adventurers, or both. Taran isn't quite smart enough at this stage to figure that out, but certainly Thelbar has considered the possibility that his brother is being played for a fool.

Thelbar would reason that if your enemies believe that you don't know what they're up to, they're more likely to reveal themselves in the long run.

I think Taran's #1 character defect isn't his lack of relationship saavy, it is his "adventurer's entitlement". He views everyone who isn't a hard-core adventurer as somehow beneath him, and his relationships (sexual, platonic or political) reflect this fact.

He treats Juron and Glim essentially the same high-handed way that he treats the High Councillor of Mistledale, the stable boy, or Ahl-Ithevia the prophet-- a vaugely condescending protectiveness that is dependant on their continued obedience.

If he had more wisdom, he'd be something like Don Corleone in the Godfather movies-- the benificent tyrant. You have to show Don Corleone respect at all times (or loose your life), but if you do, he'll take care of you.

With this attitude, Taran is really incapable of equal relationships outside of his adventuring companions. Jhaneria gets on him about this a little later on, and Taran comes out of his rationalization bag with his deeply held (but damn flimsy) conviction that he is special because he kills the things that go bump in the night.

Q3. I can't remember, when did Taran get involved with Jhanira?

Jhanira was introduced in Chapter 26 when the PCs first arrive in Mistledale, and the logs specifically mention that Taran was "staying drunk and cavorting with Jhanira Barasstan, the local priestess of Chauntea" in Chapter 47.

In game, they became involved shortly after Taran's appointment to Lord High Protector, but it was really a background thing. (Until, of course, Juron and Glim started making trouble for him by ratting him out).

Q4. YOu allow two item creators to 1/2 the time of item creation?

We have the PCs spend time relative to the actual cost, not the market price of the magic item. Thelbar has the Magical Artisan (Wondrous Item) feat, which reduced the overall out-of-pocket cost of the portable hole to around 5,000 gp.

Q5. How is charm handled in your game? BY the std rules threatining action (gee, like killing one's bodyguards!) imposes a
-5 penalty to the save DC.

Charm works that way in our game as well. Aside from our unique interpretations or misreading of things, we don't use any significant house-rules-- in this case, the drow just missed his save. :) Of course, that's still pretty easy to do . . . Thel's 1st-level Enchantment spells are DC 22, and this might have even been a charm monster spell . . .

Q6. Does Thel realize that Drow have SR? He must right?

Of course-- many of his spells are failing against these drow (and some even worse foes we encounter later), but he has been fairly successful in these early lower-level encounters.

Last edited:

incognito

First Post
I can't wait for a pregnant Jhanira and Nathe get into a hair pulling, eye scrathing contest over who Taran Loves "best"

Or better yet, move Nathe to the demi-plane of "screw you father over with accelarated child maturing" and have Taran face a young mouthy drow version of himself...

..and Thel, poor Thel, only exists for his studies...maybe he needs a nice drug or gambling addiction to make an honest man out of him.

Naw, I don't like seeing Taran get the tar singed out of him with chaing lightning...I love it!

Now I can go back to hating those evil, good-for nothing, duplicitous drow that need a good tendon-severing beating, like only a mysogonistic, self-recriminating, mass-murder like Taran can deliver!

Long Live Palatin E. and her misguided champions! Down with Paladins and Elves...

uh, yeah, that's it!

(contact)

Explorer
I can't wait for a pregnant Jhanira and Nathe get into a hair pulling, eye scrathing contest over who Taran Loves "best"

My DM strongly intimaded, that despite Taran's bravado (and the 'kiss me you fool' moment it provided), Nathe would probably have mopped up the floor with our favorite 'worst case scenario'. Jhanira I don't know about, but I think she's a few levels shy of a double digit CR.

On the up side, assuming he can stay alive, Taran should level once or twice before he's done playing Lolth's lackey. Maybe at the end of this adventure he'll be in good shape to deal with his new girlfriend once she decides she's had enough of his lame excuses and late nights out with the boys.

Barastrondo

First Post
incognito said:

Oh God, it's become a Jerry Springer episode.

Now I'm picturing Nathe and Jhanira with hugely moussed trailer-park hair, and Taran as this sullen guy with a molester mustache and a mullet... but Indy's the one with the mullet... so confused...

(contact)

Explorer
Hey there, cowboy, my quote lines are missing!

(squints) They ain't missin'. They just ain't around is all.

and Taran as this sullen guy with a molester mustache and a mullet...

There's a wonderful sketch by Craig Mullens (www.goodbrush.com) that he calls the "Jungle Knight", that I always imagined Taran looking very much like. An earlier version of the sketch was much darker, and with less contrast-- it looked like a hawk-nosed individual with a full moustache-- exactly like I imagine him.

I'll have to try and do these characters some justice with a painting or two of my own one of these days.

If you haven't, do yourself the favor of checking out www.goodbrush.com. Craig is the man.

Oh God, it's become a Jerry Springer episode.

You know, what's funny is that most of human interaction could be a Springer episode. But because it's Springer, we get to look at the folks on that show and smugly think "Not me baby, no way."

But how much of European feudal history was driven by these same basic issues-- She married me, but she's sleeping with him, so I'll have him tortured to death, which makes her mad so she throws in lots with my enemies, who want to take what I have.

You can either throw a chair or throw an army at the problem, depending on your means.

At least, that's my take on world culture. Definately, that's my take on these characters (and the characters of the LoT as well). Yeah, they blow things up and are richer than God, but they're still not very evolved individuals in some ways.

But there are also mal-adaptive quirks that would get you imprisoned or killed in our world that get you fame and fortune in the D&D world! Like being an egotistical sociopath who loves extreme danger (*coughTarancough*)

:)

Remove ads