• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Rod of Seven Parts: Kauai Team OOC

Ambrus

Explorer
Mael realizes that the second and third rats would likely spot him if he fired; -20 to Hide is tough to manage for anyone. He also knows that he likely wouldn't have more than a surprise round and possibly the following round to act before all three creatures would be upon him. Essentially firing an arrow is a conscious choice to battle all three creatures in close quarters.

I hate backing out of a fight and would almost welcome an excuse to initiate combat with the three undead, but it's hardly a smart thing to do for mere food; even Mael knows that. That's why I typed up that he was going to fall back.

Something I'm puzzled about is the people back in the cave; it seems like it's leading up to a combat back at that end. The thing is, that it seems to be happening an hour after Mael left. Since he's only been gone for approximately ten minutes it seems possible that he'll be back before Brakkus hears something coming up the back tunnel.

As for the moving trees, since Mael's trying to sneak around is it possible that the trees aren't aware of his approach and so don't know where he is or how/when to block his advance? Can Mael see the top of the crag from where he is?

Voadam

Legend
Ambrus said:
Yeesh. With their DR and Mael's piercing arrows it would take him forever to deal enough damage to all three rats to bring them down; somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 rounds or so. If this were tabletop I'd probably go ahead and try fighting the rats, but I don't feel like spending the next week and a half playing through it here. :\

Ah well, sometimes you win and sometimes you just gotta slink away to fight later. ;)

I'm just glad its not the banshee you encountered.

Voadam

Legend
I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks

Ambrus said:
I don't think she really exists. ;)

I do. I think that a bunch of the seven pieces are around the city and one is probably in the keep. I think we'll be meeting the ghost eventually, though she will probably be an actual ghost template of some sort instead of the very high CR banshee from MMII.

However even the ghost of a commoner could trash our whole party right now unless Chev got lucky on a turn check.

Ambrus

Explorer
I was largely kidding. I was thinking of that line in the Princess Bride where Wesley tells Buttercup, in regards to the Rodents of Unusual Size: "The R.U.S.es? I don't think they exist." ;)

As in the movie, I mean to say that I expect that a confrontation is imminent. :uhoh:

I love The Princess Bride. It is from that movie that my love of dire rats springs.

Maelicent is in the thick of the wood right now. The trees have spotted him all along. They moved to create a path for him that lead directly to the glade. Now they have moved to block his way back and seem to want to shunt him deeper into the woods. At the moment, Maelicent cannot see either the crag or the curtain wall due to the forest and the trees. He knows the crag is generally to the north and knows which way north is, but the trees have moved to block that direction. Maelicent could reasonably be assumed to know that he can cut a path through the forest if need be, but that the trees aren't going to like it one bit and are likely to move against such a measure. The possibility of continuing to the north exists but repercussions are also possible.

I hope that's not too terribly vague. Please ask if there's more information I can maybe shed.

And, to all, sorry for not getting a post up during the day today. My husband's preparing for deployment and the day slipped away.

Voadam

Legend
Ambrus said:
I was largely kidding. I was thinking of that line in the Princess Bride where Wesley tells Buttercup, in regards to the Rodents of Unusual Size: "The R.U.S.es? I don't think they exist." ;)

As in the movie, I mean to say that I expect that a confrontation is imminent. :uhoh:

Ah. I see. R.O.U.S.es, Fire Swamp, good times. :)

A very good movie. One of the few I have seen more than once.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads