The Romance of the River Kingdoms

Shayuri

First Post
As the rest of the people gathered talk and get to know each other, one stands aloof. One in a simple garment; a large square of coarse cloth with a hole in the middle for the wearer's head. It drapes loosely around the body and though it covers her from shoulders to knees, there's no evidence that she's wearing anything else save for a wrist ornament that looks like a dark strip of leather coiled around her wrist and forearm, and a leather pouch tied around her left ankle.

Her face is striking; proud and beautiful and wild looking. Even downcast now in respectful mourning, there is defiance around her eyes and lips. Her hair is short and feathered in spiky waves of crimson and orange; a shade matched in her strange eyes.

(visual reference! http://orioto.deviantart.com/art/Phoenix-Witch-62908682 )

As the others get to the task, she moves forward and kneels down on the ghat, hanging her head like a praying penitent.

Finally she gets back to her feet, having reached whatever peace she was seeking, and turns to regard the others.

"When do we leave?" she asks.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Dirt stands silently through the service and watches the others as they spout flowery language back and forth at each other. Each trying to outdo the others in their quest to be inscrutable.

He is briefly aware of how little he fits in with these others, in his patched and threadbare clothing, and his bare feet covered in dirt from the road. But for whatever reason he has been thrust into this quest with these people.

Finally the woman who had been silent speaks.
Finally given a simple question, Dirt provides a simple answer.

"Now."

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
"I can leave at any time. But I cannot speak for the others. The hawk hunts at day, the owl prefers the night." Ape simply says. "There is virtue in patience and in haste."

Shayuri

First Post
"Then the world must be full of virtuousness," the red woman says with irony, "For how could anyone avoid it? Just remember that she said to seek the statue between the hours of dusk and dawn."

She pauses, then adds, "I'm Annika."

Walking Dad

First Post
"The natural world IS full of virtuousness. But I meant, that there are times for patience and times for haste. The difficulty is to see what is approciate." Ape answers with a smile.

The Rolling Man

First Post
Jar'Thol, Salsham'ai shaman

Xielth said:
The hair on Xielt's back stands on end at the words of the Salsham'ai. He struggles not to let a threatening growl creep into his voice as he spits back a reply, More trouble than you know, small one, especially for one who would likely be taken for prey.
At these words, Jar'Thol retreat to an even higher spot on the river bank. "A Thousand pardons, master Tlaxu, I meant no offence. I was truly referring to the wild animals and not your own proud race. In the stories of Salsham'ai, we usually avoid the wild felines rather then seek their cubs." He says apologetically with a slight slime.
Three Flowers said:
"You knew this lady? The message I got said that I had had dealings with her, but I do not remember ever meeting her. Is there truth to the new Vashti's words?"
"It is not for me to judge the young Vashti's words but there's little doubt in me. The one we mourn today was a good judge of character and she had a way of knowing thing. You say you didn't know her but apparently she knew you. She probably saw your talents and judged you useful for our current endeavour. Besides, if you are here today, it means that, like me, you're at least curious to see where this will lead us."
Annika said:
"Then the world must be full of virtuousness," the red woman says with irony, "For how could anyone avoid it? Just remember that she said to seek the statue between the hours of dusk and dawn."
"She also said to pay heed to rumors of bandits, spirits and monsters in or near the ruins. We might be better able to avoid encounters under the cover of darkness but we could also easily fall to an ambush. We could leave early tomorrow morning and explore the ruins at night."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Aru Leng seems faintly amused by the disagreement in the group.

"Whatever you decide, I have instructed the other priestesses at the temple to provide food and lodging for you - neither very sophisticated - for whenever you require," she says.

[sblock="OOC"]
Consensus on day or night expedition? Then we can move on.[/sblock]

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Dirt once again tries to follow the convoluted speech of his new companions as they decend into philosophy once again. He manages to follow a little bit more this time, but it still seems unneccessary. Maybe one word in ten was about the topic at hand.

"She had a purpose, she had faith in us. I say we go see what is there. The night is not a time of fear, only darkness."

[sblock=ooc]Dirt is for leaving now, why delay? But he won't go alone if everyone else is going to sleep.[/sblock]

Redclaw

First Post
I agree with the poor one, the uncivilized Tlaxu says. I have always profitted from the Vashti's jobs in the past, and I am ready to profit from this one. Let us be off and find what she had in mind for us. No hunter ever succeeded without leaving his den. No one ever said he was much of a philosopher.

Remove ads