• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Savage Tide rises again! New player to be announced later this week.

Malvoisin

First Post
Hello All,

After an extended absence due to real life issues, I am pleased to be able to return to these boards and resume DMing 'The Savage Tide'. After a hiatus of several months, it is understandable that not all of my former players are able to continue, and so one replacement is needed. Currently, the PCs are 2nd level, and consist of a rogue, beguiler, warmage, archivist and barbarian. Clearly, this group needs some divine casting ability, and perhaps a bit more straight up melee punch. Ideally, I'd like to see someone submit a cleric of a martially-inclined deity, or perhaps a favored soul. There are certainly other, more creative, directions one could go and meet the needs of the group, however. I'm open to anything that would help balance out the existing party.

At this time, I don't really want to review full character sheets, but if you already have one made, it's not a problem. However, I really want to see an interesting background and personality. I'll be heavily considering how the PC will fit in with the other party members, so this descriptive detail is of paramount importance. Tidbits like preferred weapon, likely feats and spells, or thoughts about future advancement will also be useful. You should also know that I will consider rules material from most any WotC published sourcebooks, but veto power is always reserved. You should also know that I'm not generally a big fan of traditionally monstrous races as PCs. Oh, and no evil alignments, definitely.

To help you create a background and become familiar with the setting city of Sasserine, you should definitely check out the free Savage Tide Player's Guide downloadable at this link. It's an invaluable resource. If several people express an interest in coming aboard, your knowledge of Sasserine, and its inclusion in your background, may just be the difference maker.

Also, please check out the links in my sig to the IC and OOC threads of the game. I realize it's a lot of material to digest, but even a skim-through will be useful. Also, at the beginning of the OOC thread there are sections for important NPCs, handouts, etc., that should really help get you up to speed.

Doubtless, there are some things I've forgotten, but if I know my players, they'll jump in here and fix things for me. They might even tell you I run a pretty fun game...after the checks arrive in the mail. :lol:

I'll leave things open for a few days, probably, unless somebody jumps in and wows me right off the bat. So don't wait forever if you think you might want to give it a go. And I think you know you do! ;)

Thanks!
-Malvoisin

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
I'd like to throw my hat in. There was a druid I played on here a while back in a homebrew game and I never really got to RP him to the fullest. We ended up level 3, but I could tone him down to level 2. He'd basically be an import, same personality. I really enjoyed playing him and the other players in the game liked him too.(I got bonus exp for RP from the DM, voted by the players). Here is the game thread and his character sheet, if you feel like readingShattered seas Character sheet at level 3

If you don't feel like reading, he thinks he is a pirate, likes to cook almost as much as he likes to eat, he also enjoys the company of his slobbery dog, Ralph. Right now he could function as a healer/spellcaster. He's not big into melee until he gets wild shape, but he could summon enough heavy hitting melee types until then. His animal companion(Ralph) would be pretty decent in melee too.

Rhun

First Post
As on of the players in this game, I can highly recommend the DM and the game. It has been a blast so far. I think healing/divine casting is probably more of a concern at this point than melee punch...Anar (the rogue) plans on taking a level of fighter or other melee style class with his next level.

James Heard

Explorer
I'm interested, and I'm working on a concept. My problem with Clerics in general is that they don't often get enough skill points to design an interesting character for my own liking, but I'm always up for an Adventure Path and if I can come up with something that mechanically suits me I suppose I can imagine up some quirky, spunky face to go with the numbers.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
I will not be submitting a character (do not have enough time to give) but I will vouche for EvolutionKB's character as I did play with him in that particular campaign. Everyone in the party had really good time and enjoyed the Ralph. Good Luck KB.

-Blood

Zurai

First Post
I'm reading through the IC/OOC threads and Player's Guide now. Will work up a character to submit by tomorrow/monday. I'm thinking Druid as well, but I may end up with a Cleric if I can figure a good angle for it. All pending the group dynamics and how the adventure has gone so far, of course.

Zurai

First Post
Alright, since Col doesn't even have any healing spells known, I'm going to go ahead and drop the druid concept; the party needs a main healer, and druid combat healing progression is just too slow. I also don't like favored souls or spirit shamans for similar reasonining.

However, I noted that you're allowing Stormwrack content (go figure, huh?), and the deity Procan (CN god of storms and the sea) has both Storm and Water domains, giving access to a bunch of good damage and utility spells. Sounds like a good choice for a Savage Tides cleric. I'd probably go straight Cleric 20 with this character; there aren't too many good ocean-themed cleric PrCs.

He would fight with a longspear and buckler, using his spells for longer-ranged fighting if needed. Featwise, I'm looking at Domain Spontaneity for the Storm domain to swap out utility spells for nukes as needed, and perhaps some Sudden metamagics to accentuate his chaotic nature. I might try for Born of Three Thunders, but that's a more distant consideration, since he wouldn't have Knowledge: Nature as a class skill. I'd possibly take the Water Rat district feat at first level as well; depends on whether I can work out a reasonable set of stats for a lightly-armored warrior. I'll do my best in that area ... wearing plate mail on a ship doesn't make much sense, after all.

So, baseline mechanics are pretty much decided. Onto background and flavor. At the moment, I'm thinking a grizzled/scarred "veteran sailor" type character. His faith in the Sailor of Sea and Sky has guided him well throughout his years of sailing out of Sasserine as a ship's priest. He'd be CG, a free spirit, full of energy and motion (as befits a follower of the Storm Lord), and would wear the scars of his many scraps and fights like badges of honor. He'd know his way around all the taverns in town -- probably because he has to keep moving on after being thrown out for being too rowdy -- and would be friendly with most of the local fishermen and some of the more upstanding captains. He'd almost certainly have crewed with/met several of the PCs, and I'm sure I can come up with something suitably heroic to bring him to Lavinia's or the PCs' attention in game.

EvolutionKB

First Post
A very brief background for the new and improved Redbeard would involve, growing up around Sasserine as before, learning the druidic arts(basically the same for my previous character, minus the proper names and such). He then travels to Sasserine to find a living. He works aboard a boat in the Azure district, making sure the whalers are doing things the right way, taking all that they can, not causing undue pain, and trying to stop poachers from taking the whales and selling certain parts.

The major change mechanically would be do take spell focus (conjuration) and augment summoning at 1st level. 3rd level I would take spontaneous healer(CD), giving me some more healing ability.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The RG thread has some links to the current character's histories to see how we tie together. For example, Col's been around Sasserine's water business forever, and people keep on running into him either before or after "the Change".

Academy Graduate Feat from the Player's Guide will give anyone up to three Int or Cha skills as class skills, include Kn: nature for those inclined. For Druids, the Sunrise District has a potential feat for you as well.

Vigor spells are great out of combat heal spells, a druid specialty. In combat, a good wand will help as well, as will some items from the Magic Item Compenium if Mal's picked that up. Can't say.

Zurai

First Post
Just finished the OOC thread. Will read through the IC thread tomorrow and work up a complete background for my submission. Got a good solid backstory swimming in my head, and will do my best to tie it in with the other characters after my reading tomorrow :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads