The Scinterlands: Sibling Rivalry

Roquesdoodle

First Post
Prologue

Mandlebrot stood over the rent and open body of his wife as his crown city burned around him. The stench of blood and liquified stone flowed through the city’s broken streets like dark veins bleeding out the last remaining heartbeats of the dying city.

His wife stared up at him, her eyes wide and questioning as her mouth slowly moved in silent disbelief.

"Hush, my love," Mandlebrot said. "I’m almost finished." He stroked a bloody finger along his brow and smiled. "It won’t be much longer, my dear."

Thick red spittle leaked from the corner of his wife’s mouth. When she spoke, her voice was a whisper, barely audible above the sounds of the city in its final death throes. "I’m...I’m sorry."

He looked at the blood soaked bundle that lay at his feet then back to his wife. "I gave you everything, Thalinda. All that I had was yours. My power, my life...my knowledge. And in return, you corrupted the only thing I ever asked you give me in return." Mandlebrot bent and lifted the bundle into his arms. "So keep your apology. I want no more of your tainted gifts."

"Our...our daughters..."

"Are safe. I secreted them away to the island states. They’re old enough now to take care of themselves, don’t worry. Besides, I didn’t leave them empty handed. They have something to remember me by."

Thalinda managed a grim smile, her pale skin regaining a hint of color. But then the corners of her mouth sank into a scowl. "And your bastard?"

Mandlebrot scowled in return. "Safe. And anonymous. But you needn’t concern yourself with such things anymore, my dear. Such things only concern the living." He stepped over her prostrate form and walked to the balcony, the brittle sound of marble flakes crunching beneath his sandaled feet as he moved.

Through the dirty haze of smoke, Mandlebrot watched the library melt and dissolve in waves of angry blue light. Lifetimes of knowledge and power, bound to ink and pulped wood, burned in magic flame.

Mandlebrot placed the bloody bundle atop the ornate guardrail in front of him, then spread his arms wide as he made tiny, deliberate gestures with his hands. After a moment he stopped, then turned back to his dying wife and asked, "Thalinda, Darling. What spell did you use to do this? Is this one of your own?"

Thalinda could only gargle in response.

"I’m impressed." Mandlebrot turned back to the bundle as he sneered from the corner of his mouth. "I might actually have to break a sweat undoing this."

He began to gesture again with his hands. Small tendrils of smoke appeared out of the air like thin angry worms summoned from some hellish garden. The lines of smoke gathered into the wizard’s fingertips as the flotsam of ruined marble around his feet began to dance. The whole of the city was vibrating.

"I wonder," he shouted over the growing thrum. "What was it that angered you so much? Was it that I took a mistress, or that she gave me a child?"

No answer.

"Hmmm." Mandlebrot brought his attention back to the growing cloud of energy swirling in front of him.

The smoke coalesced into a sphere, shooting off sparks of anti-light like solar flares from a tiny black sun. And then Mandlebrot uttered a word not heard aloud in lifetimes, the sole source containing its meaning now burning in the distance. The world shook. The sphere floated above the bundle for a moment and then solidified. Its surface cracked and deep red lines formed over its shattered face. The sphere began to deflate as small drops of black and red dripped onto the bundle until it was coated with a thick malodorous crust.

When the sphere had completely dissolved over the bundle, Mandlebrot turned back to his wife and said, "It is done." With a dismissive wave of his hand, he gestured toward his wife’s prone body and then back to the blackened heap encrusted to the marble guardrail.

"I always thought Wraithenul was beautiful in the Spring. Perhaps we should go there. Take a break from all of…this." He swept his hand out to the burning city. "What do you think, darling?"

Thalinda lurched to Mandlebrot’s side, blood and viscera leaking from the open wound in her belly. Mandlebrot put his arm around her shoulders and said, "Un-life suits you, my dear."

The ground moved again as one of the dormitories across the courtyard exploded in a blast of blue and yellow flame. Shards of smoking marble and stone rained down, clattering against the broken tiles. "Or maybe we could head to Dorland," Mandlebrot said as he shook soot and ash out of his curly black hair. "The civil war has left most of the coast untouched and the sunsets over Highwater are truly spectacular. We could even g—" Movement caught his attention.

The black, crusted bundle started to move. "Look, my love."

A crack formed in the top of the bundle as small flakes of filth fell away like evil snow. The crack widened and then with a gentle sound like dry leaves crumbling, a tiny human hand poked through. Mandlebrot smiled. He reached out with his pinky and the hand grasped it.

"Happy Birthday," he said.

Mandlebrot turned and kissed his wife’s bloody lips. "See? We’re a family again. All is forgiven."

He breathed deep the acrid stench of the dying city. "But alas, my dear. So much gone. So much wasted. And even surrounded by such an incredible wealth of knowledge, no one was able to learn the single most important lesson I had to teach..." Mandlebrot raised his hand to the back of his wife’s head and gestured. In the space of a breath, her body flashed a sickening violet then evaporated into nothingness.

"…all magic has a price."

He lifted the amorphous crust into his arms and leaned against the guardrail, watching fires both magical and natural rage through the city streets. He looked down at the tiny hand before him, then back out to the city. "I hear Lestershire is nice this time of year."

He held two fingers out before him, breathed in one final, shuddering breath, and blinked.

There, in the vast plains of Uilleand where, for decades, countless people came to study at the feet of the most powerful wizard in memory, a smooth disc of virgin earth lay bare to the afternoon sun.

The golden city of Mandlebrot was gone.

Last edited:

Roquesdoodle

First Post
The Rabbit

No matter how he looked at it, Tibbit thought it was a waste of a good ship.

Through the throngs of gathered mourners, Tibbit could see the Lady Darleanna moored onto the banks of the Draig Talamh, the slow and steady pull of the river gently cresting around her stern as the water flowed out into the salty blue of Nora's Bay.

The Scinterland flagship was a narrow spike of wood and iron, its masts rising toward the perfect sky like spires of majestic threat. Sleek, elegant, deadly. Row upon row of lean mahogany planks soaked in the morning sun as its sails billowed like cotton clouds, fighting to break free the ship from its moorings. Even motionless, the war galley sliced the water as though it were racing the high seas.

Tibbit scratched his nose and tried to ignore the stench of oil coming from the ship. Though he couldn't see it, he judged by the smell that the whole of Darleanna's deck was covered with it.

Five Scinter Knights, all clad in the finest ceremonial armor Tibbit had ever seen, stood at the bow of the ship, flanking the tiny funeral pyre that sat just behind the captain's wheel. The body of young Prince Korskadain lay across the stacked wood, the boy's gold and ivory garb making him look like a cache of riches being offered up as a sacrifice to the gods of the sea. But even from this distance, Tibbit could see that the child looked almost peaceful, as if he had just grown tired of playing dress up and simply wanted to lie down among his protectors and take a nap. Still, it was eerie how the Prince appeared to be only sleeping, in that strange and unsettling way young corpses quite often do.

Queen Darleanna, the ship’s namesake, stood with her back straight, her dark, curly hair lifting from her shoulders in the breeze. She was surrounded by a phalanx of brutally armed men all impatiently waiting for any opportunity to prove their loyalty. She was dwarfed by the mass of their armored muscle, her thin shapely frame standing at their center like the wispy eye of an iron storm. She was young, not much more than a child herself, but her authority was palpable. Tibbit knew that with just the arch of an eyebrow she could have the head of any man she wanted.

Next to Queen Darleanna was the King’s Hand, Sir Feon Rey. The man was a statue of grizzled resolve. Not nearly as tall as the Queen’s armed guard, but just as fierce and twice as deadly. When King Scinterod began to unite the island states under a single flag of rule, he had sent Feon Rey to do the messy work of eradicating all the warmongering families. Entire houses disappeared. All descendants, relatives, even mere acquaintances vanished under Sir Feon Rey’s shadow. It was a task that earned him the nickname "House Eater," a moniker the Hand relished.

Feon Rey leaned in toward the Queen and whispered. She gave a slight nod and then the Hand motioned toward the ship. The five Scinter Knights aboard the Darleanna gave a salute, the ring of their mailed fists pounding their breastplates breaking the heavy silence. Then one stepped forward and pulled a burning torch from a sconce and held the flame high. The Scinter Knight then tossed the torch at the foot of the pyre as he made his way back into position around the fallen Prince. With a sound like dragon fury, the deck of the Lady Darleanna became an inferno.

Two axeman slashed the moorings and the billowing sails caught hold. With almost magical speed, the ship slipped away from the riverbank and moved toward the open water. Smoke as black as Darleanna’s dress rose from the angry flames. The Scinter Knights stood around the pyre in still and silent vigil as the searing heat turned their suits of armor into glowing ovens. The body of Prince Korskadain wavered in the heat for a moment, then disappeared in a torrent of fire and ash.

Tibbit fought back tears. The loss was overwhelming. The Lady Darleanna was the Scinterland Fleet’s FLAGSHIP. You just DON’T set fire to your country’s flagship simply ‘cause the li’l runt had an accident. Kids fall off castle walls all the time and ya don’t see their folks buggerin’ off to burn a bloody boat!

Tibbit wondered if he had made a mistake leaving the Havens and coming to D’Auri for the funeral. The city of D’Auri certainly was a sight to se, but this...this was just too painful to watch. The ship could have been sold for the price of a small duchy or at the very least dismantled and cannibalized on the black market. But to just burn it? It didn’t make sense. Things were so much simpler in the Havens. When someone died, you dug a hole and threw ‘em in. Prince or pauper, didn’t matter. They’d all rot the same.

The war galley, now completely engulfed, moved across the sea like a toy sun rolling along a window pane. Lazy clouds of smoke, thick with the smell of burning pitch and charred flesh, hung over the people gathered in the vast courtyard. It would take an hour for Tibbit to get the stench out of his fur.

None of those gathered moved. Everyone watched the fireball that once was the pride of Scinterod’s fleet skim across the water, burning flotsam in its wake like some broken hell beast shedding its torn and wounded flesh.

Then a thought came to him. "Strange, that," he said to himself.

A man, smelling more like a horse than a human, turned and looked down at Tibbit. He gave a slight double take as he took in Tibbit’s fur, whiskers, and ears but the somberness of the moment helped him find his voice. "Strange? What’s strange, Harefellow?" the man asked.

Tibbit looked out at Lady Darleanna as her burning shell finally began to sink into the sea. "Well, strange, is all, that just about everyone from the island states is here, mournin’ the loss of the li’l prince."

The rabbit brought his gaze back to the man. "That is, everyone ‘cept the King."

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
Wow -- this is excellent! I clicked on it because I'm a sucker for good names, and "Scinterlands" sounded cool. ;)

I'm guessing Harefellow signifies Tibbit's rabbitlike nature -- were-rabbit, perhaps? Hopefully there are more character intros like his to come, because I'm hooked. The juxtaposition of the somber, overblown sacrificial ceremony and Tibbit's "bugger this for a lark" attitude was great.

I'll stop gushing and go subscribe. ;)

jonrog1

First Post
haiiro said:
Wow -- this is excellent! I clicked on it because I'm a sucker for good names, and "Scinterlands" sounded cool. ;)

I'm guessing Harefellow signifies Tibbit's rabbitlike nature -- were-rabbit, perhaps?

Hey, jonrog1 here, because Andy'll never get around to answering. Tibbit's one of my favorite PC's ever. He's not a were-rabbit. He's ... a rabbit. Essentially short and stocky like a dwarf, but ... a rabbit. Big head, long ears, fuzzy paws, in leather armor.

I cannot say again, how much glee I take from this character. He's a kleptomanic, lie-to-your-face-and-you-believe-every-word snarky bomb-throwing rabbit. It's Bugs Bunny as a PC.

Stay tuned. Our lad's a helluva writer, and this is the preview you get before he finishes his first novel and you have to start forking over coin to read him.

Remove ads