The Scinterlands: Sibling Rivalry

Roquesdoodle

First Post
The Stormfront

“Do you see it?” Tibbit asked.

Connor squinted in the morning sun, taking in the barley fields and the small copses of trees that lined the road. “No. Is it coming this way?”

“Safe bet to say so.”

The Materite shielded his eyes and stood in his stirrups. “How long until it reaches us?”

“Four, maybe five minutes. Thinkin’ perhaps we should get off the road.”

“Why? We have nothing to fear,” Geranzimuth said. The Hand’s squire sat atop his grand war horse, gesturing up the road with a skinny finger. “This is Talumh road. Bandits wouldn’t dare accost travelers this close to the city, much less a band on business for the King.”

“Yeah, about that.” Connor dismounted and patted the side of his horse’s neck. “We’re not supposed to be attracting attention. And announcin’ we’re runnin’ errands for the Hand might make that a bit difficult. Besides, I don’t think they’re bandits comin’ up the road.”

Geranzimuth turned his horse back to Connor. It was strange how easily the young man moved the animal, never pulling the reigns or giving loud, obnoxious commands. However annoying the young man might be, there was no doubt that he knew how to handle his horse.

The squire leaned over slightly and spoke with genuine sympathy. “I understand if you’re afraid, bartender. One doesn’t find much danger in a tavern. And to be suddenly plucked from the safety of your bar to face the Sisters must be most frightening. But you need not be afraid. I have been the Hand’s squire for half my life and have stared into the dark visage of death many times. I will keep us safe.”

Connor stared at the young man, noting his narrow shoulders, the thin shadow of his mustache, the dull shine of naiveté behind his eyes, his fragile spinal column waiting to be shattered over his knee like a dry and wasted sapling. “And exactly what kind of ‘dark visage’ do you see comin’ down the road there, good squire?”

Geranzimuth turned, squinted and said, “I can only see a dust trail. Could be a merchant coming to the city.”

Connor nodded and then walked over to Tibbit. The rabbit spoke out of the corner of his mouth. “Li’ bugger thinks rather highly of ‘imself, doesn’t he?” The bartender nodded. “And what’s with this ‘dark visage’ bollocks? I think the lad spends more time readin’ love poems than practicing with that mace o’ his.” Tibbit scratched his ear.

Connor motioned toward the growing dust cloud. “You ever see a merchant move that quickly?”

“Once, when he was runnin’ from someth—” Tibbit crinkled his nose as his whiskers twitched in the wind. Then in a rush he swung one leg over his horse and dropped to the ground.

“What are you doing?” Geranzimuth asked. “We need to keep riding if we want to make it to Riverrun by midday tomorrow. Now back on your horses. I told you it’s only a merchant.”

Tibbit started moving his horse to the rushes on the side of the road. Connor ran over to him and caught him by the arm. “Tibbit, what is it?”

The harefellow gestured with his furry chin up the road toward the growing dust cloud in the distance. “I smell death.” The rabbit turned and in a few moments had hidden his horse and himself inside the tall grass.

Connor watched the dust cloud, its trail lifting in the morning breeze. He ran over and grabbed his horse’s reigns. He looked at Sean, quietly sitting on his mule. “Trouble’s coming, my friend. Best we hide.” The old priest nodded and gave his mule a gentle kick.

As Sean helped guide Pet and her horse to a safe distance off of the road, Geranzimuth scowled down at Connor. “This is disgraceful. Show courage, dear Connor. Adventure is upon us!”

“Um, yeah.” Connor looked up to Glasdon who was watching the thing approach. “Can you tell what it is?”

The Materite sat very still for a moment, then turned. “Single rider. Knight, I think. Moving fast. And he’s carrying something.”

“What?”

“Still too far away to tell.”

Geranzimuth craned his neck. “A knight, are you sure?”

Connor’s horse gave a nervous stomp and a slight nudge. “I don’t think it’s a good idea, standing in the middle of the road like this.”

The materite grunted in agreement. Geranzimuth folded his arms and said, “We have no need to fear a knight of the realm.”

Glasdon glared at the squire, his thick brow like crags, and then rolled his eyes. “It’s all right, Connor. I’ll stay with the boy, out here in the open just off the road. ‘Knight of the realm’ or not, it would be unwise to get in his way.”

“I am not a boy.”

Glasdon pulled his shield from his shoulder and held it at the ready. “Best stay in sight, Connor. If he stops, we don’t want him thinking he’s being ambushed.”

“Aye.” Connor started to lead his horse off the road, but then stopped and turned. “Hey there, Ranzy.”

“Geranzimuth.”

“Yeah, Ranzy, you may want to clean yourself up a bit before you go talking with ‘knights of the realm.’”

The squire’s face seemed to pucker inward as he glanced over himself. “What are you talking about? Surely a bit of traveling dust on one’s boots would—“

“No, no. Your face. You have a little something…” Connor motioned with his finger to the area just below his nose.

Geranzimuth rubbed his face several times. “There, did I get it?”

“No, it’s still there. Rub harder.”

He rubbed his face again, then the squire pulled a small dagger from his belt and peered into the reflective metal. “What is he talking about? I don’t see anything.”

“Geranzimuth,” Glasdon said. “Pay attention. He’s coming.”

When Connor reached Pet and Sean, they were both already dismounted and waiting. “Are we going to be doing this EVERY time we pass someone along the road?” Pet asked.

Sean set his wagon wheel on the ground and began to brush his mule. “It’s just a precaution,” he said. “Whoever it is coming down the road, he seems to be in a hurry and we don’t want get in his way. I fear we have enough trouble ahead of us without wantonly looking for more.”

“Well,” Pet said, “isn’t that what the boy’s for?”

Connor gave a short, derisive snort. “I doubt the lad could do much on his own to protect us from trouble, lass.”

“Protect us? No, I meant as a distraction. You know, toss him in front of whatever trouble comes our way while we ride for safety.”

Connor smiled, then reached up to his chin and the back of his head and cracked his neck. “Not a bad plan… <crack> … but the kid’s not all bad. Annoying, yes. But he’s got a good heart.” He could tell by the way Pet pursed her lips that she seemed genuinely disappointed that they wouldn’t be using the squire as a human shield any time soon. “But don’t worry, Pet. If we ever do need to use him for fodder, you can be the one to toss him in.”

The girl smiled, flicked back her hair, and then turned to the growing sound of hooves barreling toward them.

The rider was in full view now, his black horse pounding the road at an angry pace. It was a knight, clad in light battle armor that even from this distance Connor could tell was dulled and scarred from frequent use. Rising from the knight’s lap was a large and cumbersome burden shaped like a gnarled tree trunk.

“What is that?” Sean asked, raising his voice over the rising sound.

The bartender could feel the earth vibrate beneath him. He squinted again, trying to make out what it was the knight carried but it was still too difficult to tell. At first glance it appeared to be a torn and damaged banner sagging on an iron pole. But as the rider closed the distance, Connor was finally able to see clearly the odd thing the knight carried.

“Do I get to toss the boy now?”

“Huh? No… no.” Connor turned back to the knight who was now nearly on top of Geranzimuth and Glasdon, and who showed no signs of slowing down. His horse was lathered and frothing, the road behind it transformed into a tempest of billowing dust and thunder. He was helmetless, his eyes dark and determined as he rode toward them.

In one hand he held the reigns to his speeding horse. In the other, he held a lance, skewering the dead bodies of four kobolds.

Elph

First Post
The Good Ol' Days

It's fun to go back and remember when we still had hope of living and/or not destroying the world. Sigh.

DMO

First Post
How about another peek into the Scinterlands? I for one would like to know how the good ol' days went bad. (Left out on the counter overnight in the summer heat, I'll bet.)

Roquesdoodle, are you still around? Is there more to this tale? Here we are; entertain us.

Roquesdoodle

First Post
What's (not) going on?

Obviously, there as been no activity here for quite some time. There is still plenty of Scinterland story left to tell, but our group pretty much stopped playing not long after my last post.

We all stopped playing because our careers were kicking into overdrive and we no longer had time. Which has been both happy and sad. I love playing, especially with this group and desperately hope to play with them again soon. But right now we are all focused on work. And when I say work, I mean writing.

My game-mates are out writing movies, television shows, comics, and producing everything under the sun. That's what they do (and man do they all do it well). But when one member of your D&D table has to leave for Vancouver to film a pilot, another has to head off to New York to be wooed by DC Comics and the WB, another has to chain himself to his keyboard because the studio is chomping at the bit, another is building a comic book franchise from the ground up, and yet another has to crank out scripts for producers dying to work with her, it makes it difficult to find six hours on a weekly basis where we can all get together.

But why haven't I updated the Scinterlands, you ask? Well, because my own writing has started to bear fruit (I am very happy to say). First, I finished a novel. Let me repeat that. I FINISHED a novel. That's just one of those things that I never really thought I would be able to say. Time that I did not spend writing the Scinterlands was time working on the book.

Another thing that I've done in the interim was write an 8 page comic that was included in the highly lauded Zombie Tales from BOOM! Studios. I have another one coming out in the next ZT anthology as well as my very own comic series (just finished the 1st...I mean 3rd draft of book 1 yesterday). So I have been writing, just not for our merry band of Scinter-ites (although I've been toying with the idea of writing and (hopefully) selling some D&D modules).

So what happens now? Well, I am still working a day job to pay the bills (and I use that phrase 'pay the bills' very loosely). That means that my writing time is devoted toward things that will further my career so that one day WRITING will be my day job. But I've finished the novel (the most daunting task I've undertaken thus far) and most of my comic book scripts are ready to go. So I'm hoping that I will have some writing time to devote to the Scinterlands.

I've been wanting to come back for a while and now that my writing schedule is thinning, I'd like to return. It's hard since we no longer play and I'm not living with the characters every week but I think I should be able to get back in the swing of things.

Here's hoping.

jonrog1

First Post
And might I add, one of the best reads for a first novel I've ever enjoyed. RD has got a nice career of getting paid to type coming to him.

Hi Roquesdoodle,

Congratulations on completing your first novel! :)
Tell me the details and you'll have an automatic sale from Sydney, Australia when it's published.

Can you tell us all anything further about this project? I mean if you need a few more test-readers then hey... you've got one here. :D

Best Regards and Congratulations Once More
Herremann the Wise

Roquesdoodle

First Post
Herremann the Wise said:
Hi Roquesdoodle,

Congratulations on completing your first novel! :)
Tell me the details and you'll have an automatic sale from Sydney, Australia when it's published.

Can you tell us all anything further about this project? I mean if you need a few more test-readers then hey... you've got one here. :D

Best Regards and Congratulations Once More
Herremann the Wise

Thank you! I can honestly say that when I typed the words "The End" it was one of the most satisfying feelings I've ever had. I literally did a little dance for about five minutes in the middle of the room singing "I just wrote a bo-ok, I just wrote a bo-ok." The book I'm proud of. The dancing, not so much.

The book is a fantasy, but it's not the kind of high fantasy you find in the Scinterlands. The fantasy element doesn't really come in until halfway through the book so that may cause some problems in finding an agent and a publisher. But I think that it works for this story.

I don't want to give too much away but simply put, it's about a man who tries to get back something that was stolen from him. Oh, and a dog.

Can't forget the dog.

p.s. In a pleasant bit of irony, the book is titled "Dingo."

shoot me an email about a pdf

Last edited:

Roquesdoodle

First Post
More writing.

Well, I've been pretty swamped with current projects, but I should have some free time coming up in the next month to add an update to the Scinterlands. In the meantime, I'm posting my novel online as a serial. You can find it here:

http://dingonovel.blogspot.com/

Hopefully this will be entertaining enough to tide everyone over until the next Scinterlands update.

Remove ads