'The Scream' stolen from Museum

Numion

First Post
Angcuru said:
They'll be caught sooner or later. And when they do, it's Armed Robbery and/or Grand Larceny, depending on who did what in which part of the plot. Which means a long span of jail time. And lots of bleeding too. :mad:

If I'm not totally mistaken Norway has punishments in tune with those of other nordic countries like Sweden and Finland. That means there won't be long sentences.

Paragon Kobold

First Post
Uzumaki said:
You know what's even sadder? The same painting was stolen a decade ago. Luckily, the museum got it back unharmed, but there was no move to put in an alarm or offer some protection for the painting. So stupid.

Actually the painting stolen ten years ago was a different version of the same painting, and was stolen from a different museum. There was an alarm, but the robbers got away before the police arrived.

Uzumaki

First Post
Paragon Kobold said:
Actually the painting stolen ten years ago was a different version of the same painting, and was stolen from a different museum. There was an alarm, but the robbers got away before the police arrived.

You're right. But still, it's incredibly foolish for the Munch Museum, the site of yesterday's theft, to not have anything done to protect precious art.

Staffan

Legend
From what I read in local papers, it's likely that this is more of an art "kidnapping" than theft. I mean, the paintings in question are extremely well-known, so they don't really have much of a resale value - they couldn't sell them to another museum, and very very few private collectors would want to take the risk as well. It's far more likely that they'll be ransoming them back to the museum in question.

Either that, or the perps were just enormously stupid, thinking "Hey, very expensive paintings and very little security, let's steal them."

poilbrun

Explorer
I tend to agree on this. Stealing art is stealing the people's culture.

And I'm also against (undisplayed) private collections for this reason

Remove ads