The Sea's Righteous Might

reddist

First Post
Early the next morning you pack your gear, patting at pockets and pouches to be sure you have all your accessories, and begin your walk to the berthing of the Sea’s Righteous Might. The Wharf District is bustling with early morning activities, with warehouse doors opening, workers using hoses to rinse off loading bays and sidewalks, and couriers already dashing about with the day’s first messages and packet deliveries.

The bright golden glow of the rising sun peeks over the eastern wall of the city, finally pouring into the bowl of the Bay. By the time it brightens the top of the sails docked along the wharf, the business of the Wharf District is in full swing.

Repairs have already begun on the Lord Bingham’s Belle, and swarms of carpenters hang suspended from ropes slung over her bow. The pungent smell of tar hangs thick in the air as workers paint over the newly repaired portions, sealing it against further water and weather damage.

reddist

First Post
You’ve seen the Sea’s Righteous Might from a distance, perhaps even walked down to her mooring to get a closer look in the past couple of days. She’s a slender three-masted ship, with the graceful lines evident of Elven woodlore but with thick support structures and sturdy engineering, clearly the work of Dwarven craftsman. Her wooden planks look like honeyed oak and are polished to a smooth, comforting sheen, with the trim painted a deep royal blue and interlaced with both graceful lines of Elven script and thick cuneiform Dwarven runes. Her sails look and flow like sheets of satin, but you know they are stronger than the thickest canvas, and the ropes and rigging are rumored to be of the strongest spider-spun silk ever known.

Captain Peliad Kestor is widely known as one of the best sailors alive, after spending over three decades in the Caldesssan Navy. He was Fleet Commander during the last two naval wars, both of which pitted Kestor’s naval and tactical skills against the smaller, faster ships of the Jarlsmen from the Northern Jodan Isles. Now in his late 60s, and being done with commanding any more than a single ship, Captain Kestor has retired to the ship he spent fifteen years designing, financing, and building, drawing from his own vast knowledge of ships and sailing, as well as the woodlore of his Elven allies and the unmatched engineering skills of Dwarven smiths.

reddist

First Post
Iggy Glenfannon meets you at the ramp, waving you over and introducing you to Kestor’s first mate, and tall, thickly built man wearing tan canvas breeches and a sleeveless white tunic with ragged edges where he ripped the arms off. Bryce “Shorty” Ayala stands an imposing 6 foot 5 inches and appears to be made entirely of ropy muscle. His shaven head is covered with a red bandana, and a series of three golden hoops, each smaller than the next, adorn his left ear. Thinking back to fire on the night before, you think you remember seeing Bryce commanding a crew of men to aid in the efforts to save the Belle.

“Aye, I remember you lot from the other day. Good work on the docks last night. Glad to have you aboard. Iggy, tell Floater to move their stuff up. C’mon, I’ll show you around.”

As Iggy turns to relay this message he nods and smiles at you, telling you he’ll catch up once everyone is checked in and the Righteous Might is about to sail. Bryce leads you up the plank and onto the deck of the mighty ship. There is a bustle of activity swarming around you as supplies are stowed, rigging checked, and the multitude of last-minute adjustments are made to the ship and cargo. You notice Bryce is barefoot, as are many of the crew.

Noticing you staring at his feet, Bryce explains, “Yar, you get a better feel for the ship’s balance, with naught between you and her deck. Not so important here, still moored as we are, but wait ‘til we set sail! Try it!” He moves with much more grace and agility than you might expect for someone so large and bulky. Bryce leads you to the main deck, where he introduces you to two more people, both of whom are wearing shoes.

reddist

First Post
Oswald Osario is also dressed in loose-fitting baggy pants and a sleeveless tunic, though his clothes are a pale blue with navy trim, bleached almost gray by sun, wind, and seaspray. His pants are sewn with numerous pockets and pouches, and around his waist he wears a worn black leather belt with even more small satches and pouches. His bare shoulders are deeply tanned and covered in swirling chaotic tattoos. His dark hair is cut raggedly short, just to keep it out of his dark blue eyes. He winks at you as he introduces himself as the Ship’s Mage, and you can tell he’s probably a pretty fun guy to drink with.

Cyrus is also dressed in clothes bleached by many days of sun and water, and his once white tunic and gray pants are now nearly the same color. There is green piping along the edges of his short sleeves and the bottom of his shirt, which hangs open nearly to his waist. On his chest you can see two tattoos, one representing the Sibling Na-Gods, and the other Piter specifically. Around his neck he wears a silver symbol of Piter, which has tarnished to a dull gray. He wears a stubbled beard, and his brown hair is flecked with peppered grey at the temples. His hand-shake is firm and there is a mischievous twinkle in his green eyes as he introduces himself as the Ship’s Cleric.

You can tell that these two are good, fast friends, and are likely to get into all sorts of good-natured trouble.

Knowledge (Arcana) [DC15] [sblock] The tattoos covering Oswald's shoulders and biceps are related to water and air magic, and are quite complex. He adds to them as he grows in power, and is probably a formidable spellcaster. [/sblock]

Party [sblock] Cyrus is a priest of the Sibling god Piter, who is known to favor bravado, rougish luck, and quick wit. [/sblock]

Last edited:

reddist

First Post
After exchanging a few pleasantries, Bryce interrupts “A few more passengers you should meet a’fore we sail. C’mon, down in the galley.” The bald, mountainous First Mate leads you through a set of open doors and down a short flight of wooden stairs into an open galley, with long, low benches stretching from starboard to port, and rows of open port holes running along both sides. A passageway leads aft, towards the kitchen, and another fore, towards bunks and storage. You see another short passageway leading down into the cargo area, but Bryce instead directs your attention to a small band of people sitting together on the benches, enjoying cups of hot spiced coffee. They seem to all hover over a small stack of unfurled maps, detailing portions of the Caldessan coastline and the Crescent Sea. You catch a glimpse of the top map, showing previously uncharted regions beyond the Ichidan Isles, which seems to hold much of their interest.

A woman with dark braided hair, a sleeveless, weathered leather vest over a dark green tunic, and high, soft leather boots stands to greet you. Much as you recall Bryce from last night, you vaguely remember her too, leading her small crew during the fire-fight.

“Ah, so this is the muscle Iggy hired…” She gives each of you a critical eye, only momentarily lingering on Bran. “Well, you must have done well for yourselves last night. But I must say, as mercenaries, I’m not impressed.” She turns toward her crew, waving her arm at them in introduction. “I am Dorcas Oakenwald, and I am the head of the expedition team. Kestor may command this ship, but once we land, I’m in charge. WE are the explorers here, YOUR job is to keep pirates and monsters off our backs.” She pauses here, turning to look at you again. Sniffing disdainfully she waves a hand, dismissing you.

reddist

First Post
Bryce leads you back up to the deck. “Don’t mind Dorcas too much. Ya might hafta put up with her scorn whilst we sail, but once we land, she’ll be too busy to be rude. Your rooms are aft, other side of the kitchen, under the Cap’n’s quarters. M’lady Calathar, you’ll be bunking portside, with Sherry Gummald, one of Dorcas’ team. The rest of you will share the cabin on the starboard. Now iffen ya don’t mind, I’ve work to do a'fore we cast off!”

Bryce turns to take his leave, but he adds, “Oh, and dinner in the officer’s mess tonight, with m’self, Iggy, Dorcas, and Cap’n Kestor! Until then, just stay outta the way!”

reddist

First Post
OOC: Feel free to interact with the various NPCs, or explore the ship a bit.

Bran [sblock] You might have heard of Dorcas Oakenwald and her reputation for being a snobby, elitist hardass, but someone who gets jobs done. She is in regular employ by the cartographer's guild, as is usually "in the field." Finding her at the head of this expedition is no surprise, considering her skill and reputation... but perhaps a bit disappoinging nonetheless...[/sblock]

Jaleph [sblock] Oswald Osario is not a new name to you, but it is unlikely that you've met him. He is a member in full standing at the Mage's Guild, he doesn't check in much. You might know he is a native of the Ichidan Isles and since he signed on w/ Captain Kestor, he hasn't spent much time in the Mage's Guild at all, missing many votes, meetings, and role calls. As far as you know he still pays his dues though, but most "serious" wizards discount him as a reckless, wild talent. [/sblock]

Kragor [sblock] Bryce Ayala looks even more familiar to you... and you finally recall seeing him a few nights previous, at a brawl in a bar in a seedier portion of the Wharf District. Bare knuckled, he held his own against a handful of common ruffians, knocking them back and laughing all the while. He seemed to be able to put down a fair amount of Dwarven Oak-Aged Ale... not nearly as much as you, of course, but you remember being slightly impressed. [/sblock]

Marisa [sblock] You know you've heard of Cyrus, priest of Piter, before. He seems to be a favorite of many of the clinics and shelters near the Wharf District. Cyrus is known to stop by when the Righteous Might is in port, to help out with food lines and those who need healing. All those who speak of him do so with a chuckle, and remark on the many pranks he plays on the Dock Watch and some of the more draconian dock foremen. [/sblock]

scout989

First Post
Jaleph Bigthumbs Halfling Sorceror

After checking to make sure that his gear has been stowed, Jaleph wanders off to find Oswald.
Upon spotting him, Jaleph wanders over and offers up his hand (way up!). "Aye, hello there, lad! D'you know, My friend Harley over at the Mage's Guild has been giving me an earful about you over the last coupla days, since you've been back in town and all. I must say it's nice to meet so accomplished a mage, quite an honor for a simple enchanter like me. But tell me, are the stories true?"

Last edited:

Animus

Explorer
reddist said:
OOC: Feel free to interact with the various NPCs, or explore the ship a bit.

Bran [sblock] You might have heard of Dorcas Oakenwald and her reputation for being a snobby, elitist hardass, but someone who gets jobs done. She is in regular employ by the cartographer's guild, as is usually "in the field." Finding her at the head of this expedition is no surprise, considering her skill and reputation... but perhaps a bit disappoinging nonetheless...[/sblock]

Looking a little surprised at seeing Dorcas Oakenwald, Bran introduces himself with an appropriate flourish. "Greetings, Dorcas. I see that you'll be joining us," he says, a little amused that a woman that is so full of herself is coming along on a mission that is "beneath" her.

scout989

First Post
Jaleph Bigthumbs Halfling Sorceror

After spending a few moments talking with the ship's mage and seeing who they knew in common, Jaleph wanders back in the direction of the first mate.

"Hey there, Bryce. How long before we set sail? Y'see," Jaleph leans in a little closer and lowers his voice a bit, "I unaccountably forgot to lay in a supply of brandy for the trip. Do I have time to go and fix my little oversight?"

Remove ads