The Secret Scion - accepting alternates

Bront

The man with the probe
Next "Can I use this from Races of Eberron" question.

Racial substitution levels for the Changling rogue.

The changeling sub levels also give 10 skill points per level (only at the sub levels), and the first time you take one, you get a bonus knowledge skill added to the thief list (Permanent for theif, but only one ever).

L1- Replace trapfinding with Social intuition, which does the following
- Making a Gather Info check, which normaly takes 1d4+1 hours, instead takes (1d4+1)x10 minutes
-A gut assessment of a social situation using sense motive takes a full round action, not a full minute
- May take a 10 on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Info, Intimidate, and Sense Motive automaticly.

L3- Replace Trapsense with Minor Lore, which grants a +1 bonus to any knowledge check per 3 levels. This bonus can be passed on when aiding another. It does not let a knowledge skill be used untrained.

L8 - Mutable Anatomy - replaces Improved Uncanny Dodge, grants 50% chance to ignore critical hits or sneak attacks by shifting critical parts out of the way.

I'm definately interested in Levels 1 and 3, and it fits in even better if we have a Spell Thief.

Also, what is your disposition about our characters? I could easily push Mel to be evil with a simple rewrite of her background, and pick up Assasin or something else like that eventualy, but I don't want to create a problem, and that will sort of change her a bit. Right now, she's the Innocence Shattered type of character. I could just as easily turn her into the Innocence Twisted (Where instead of simply running, she bedded and then killed her "father" before leaving). Either way works for me. It all depends on your particular campaign bent. I'm generaly a goodie two shoes :)

Someone

Adventurer
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Someone - Definite possibility. He'd be a great foil for some of the more tortured characters we have. Hang on a bit.

No problem. I can still torture him a lot if you want, or adjust the background as you need.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rystil - If, and only if mind you, I let you play a gray elf, how would that work into your background?
From reading of the culture of Aerenal and how it differs from that of Valenar, it seems similar to the differences between the Gray-Elf culture as opposed to PHB-Elf, so ideally, the racial variant would be a symbol of her Aereni heritage. Otherwise, it could be part of the mutation connected with her Aberrant Dragonmark.

lotuseater

Explorer
okay, i've gone ahead and added a description of the ambush.

as you probably noticed, i left some of the backstory vague, specifically what exactly the object is. i figure that i'd let you decide on that so it can fit the campaign. roughly, my idea is that zilas hired kazan to transport an object important to house lyrander's plans to gain access into the principalities. but house orien caught wind of the plot, murdered zilas, and is trying to gain the object for themselves. but the actual plot could involve anyone and anything, if it better fits your ideas.

i'll go ahead and work on kazan's stats and post them tonight or tomorrow morning. let me know if you have any other guidelines or thoughts.

Last edited:

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Even Goblins have a pecking order. Kech Volaar (Lore Keepers) feel they are better than the shaarat'khesh (silent blades). The shaarat'khesh feel they are better than the taarka'khesh (silent wolves). The taarka'khesh feel they are better than "City Goblins".

Those goblins who live in the lower city of Sharn, are considered to be unworthy of their Dhakaani ancestors. Yet even the City Goblins have someone to "look down" on, Droaam Goblins.

When Khesh escaped from the slavery of Droaam, he went to Sharn. The overseers would often tell goblins how "lucky" they were to be in Droaam. That in Sharn goblins got no shelter, no food, and no one would give them work, even other goblins. Khesk decided that he would say he was from Darguun, but nothing else. He had learned early that the less one said the better (hence his name).

When he arrived in Sharn, claiming to be from Darguun, acting secretive, named "Khesh", the other goblins assumed that he was on a secret mission for the shaarat'khesh. Khesh never said he was, but he never said he wasn't. He let people think what they wanted, having a reputation made life a little easier...

until a real member of the shaarat'khesh found out.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
I could just as easily turn her into the Innocence Twisted (Where instead of simply running, she bedded and then killed her "father" before leaving).
Yikes, never mind about Mel and Rayni being friends if she's like that!

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Yikes, never mind about Mel and Rayni being friends if she's like that!
It was a thought. If we're going more towards the good, or at least not evil route, then the origional writeup works fine, and I can play either.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Here's a character concept that I just created for another campaign, actually. :) I think he might fit pretty well into yours, as well.

Dre, changeling rogue/sorcerer

Drevin, the overconfident half-elf and professional sailor with the Mark of Storm.
Andrea, the ambitious human and Tinker with the Mark of Making.
Dretilo, the talkative halfling and part-time innkeeper with the Mark of Hospitality
Dresdoan, the quick-thinking human and guide with the Mark of Passage.

Dre the changeling, since childhood, has always felt uncomfortable with familiar surroundings. Perhaps because as a child his family travelled the length and breadth of Khorvaire, never settiling in one spot for more than a year. Perhaps because every person he befriended, upon learning Dre's true nature, turned away in disgust, horror or righteousness. Perhaps because familiarity, in the final days of the Last War, led to your capture . . .

Dre learned to foster a disguise, compete with personality, nuances and a career, only to shed it like a layer of clothing whenever the wanderlust would strike, and he would start anew in another town, another country, another land. Yet familiarity, his bane and his nemesis, always drew him back. He would return, sometimes after months, sometimes after years, to don the life of the one he left behind and rekindle the old friendships. At least, until Dre once again felt the walls closing in.

In his travels, with months spent only in silent meditation, with no other company but his own, Dre grew adept in the ways of sorcery. Over time, he both refined his shapechanging abilities and learned the spells necessary to duplicate the dragonmarks of the "true" races. He tested his disguise by creating Drevin, the half-elven sailor that had mastered the mark, and suddenly found himself catapulted through the ranks and soon captained his own ship.

Later, Dre "manifested" the mark in one of his old favorites, Andrea of House Cannith, and found her rise in her guild to be one of his more satisfying accomplishments. Perhaps, one day, she would switch guilds and become a fabricator of some reknown . . .

Dre enjoyed the attention, enjoyed the spotlight. But the light would always grow to bright, his eyes so blinded he could no longer see his audience. And his wanderlust would grab him, wrenching him away to another place.

Character Concept:

Dre has friends everywhere, contacts everywhere. With his inherent abilities and his magic, Dre can mimic almost any dragonmark successfully. With his devotion and intelligence, he has learned a huge number of trades and skills, as well as the art of diplomacy. He has several legitimate letters of credit and identification papers to his name (or, rather, numerous names), hidden away in caches scattered across the continent.

His spells known include prestidigitation, mending, comprehend languages, expeditious retreat, and others that help him mimic dragonmarks and enhance his diplomatic abilities.

His skill points are scattered among many Professions (including tinker, sailor, scribe, guide, and others) as well as Knowledge (local), Bluff, and Diplomacy.

In addition, these are a few other personalities that Dre can "don". I would be interested in making up new ones, depending on where the party might visit, or even have you (the "DM"), introduce some new ones as a twist, if you were interested.

Thank you for considering this character. I would be honored to play in your game.

And I just saw that Mel had been posted here, as well. Sorry, again!

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
It was a thought. If we're going more towards the good, or at least not evil route, then the origional writeup works fine, and I can play either.
Well Rayni is the Chaotic Good evil warlock of darkness (with +13 Diplomacy at level 1) :)

Remove ads