D&D (2024) The sorcerer shouldn't exist

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
but it basically does say that, 'there is a degree of magic that is a fundamental component of all things that can no more be dispelled than the wind or the rain', 'ki is an element of magic that infuses all living things', i don't know how you can read those statements and come away with 'fighters/rogues aren't superhuman in DnD because it doesn't explicitly say in their descriptions that they're magic'
Because it does say that for all other classes. I don't understand why that's confusing.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Because it does say that for all other classes. I don't understand why that's confusing.
all the classes thus includes the fighter and the rogue then! they have the special sauce already added, NO-ONE in a DnD world is 'just human' because 'just human' would mean that they don't have magic as part of their fundamental being, but seeing as everyone in DnD DOES have magic as part of their fundamental makeup, even the fighters and rogues, so you can't judge them by earth standards which doesn't have magic.

Micah Sweet

all the classes thus includes the fighter and the rogue then! they have the special sauce already added, NO-ONE in a DnD world is 'just human' because 'just human' would mean that they don't have magic as part of their fundamental being, but seeing as everyone in DnD DOES have magic as part of their fundamental makeup, even the fighters and rogues, so you can't judge them by earth standards which doesn't have magic.
I wrote "all other classes". This excludes, rather obviously I think, fighter and rogue in WotC 5e.

Flights of Fancy

Candy is King
The sorcerer ideas don't fit into wizard, but wizard can fit into sorcerer
I think this would work if your concept of wizard means someone must have a "gift" or talent for magic to study it. Like Harry Potter.

If you go the other direction that anyone can study magic and become a wizard given the means opportunity it wouldn't make sense.

CreamCloud0

I wrote "all other classes". This excludes, rather obviously I think, fighter and rogue in WotC 5e.
no, the quotes i provided are stated facts about the entire base world of DnD, they don't say 'there is a fundamental component of magic in all things bar fighter and rogue' or 'every living thing bar fighter and rogue have ki', you're reading your personal bias into places it isn't stated.

Micah Sweet

no, the quotes i provided are stated facts about the entire base world of DnD, they don't say 'there is a fundamental component of magic in all things bar fighter and rogue' or 'every living thing bar fighter and rogue have ki', you're reading your personal bias into places it isn't stated.
Nope. I'm going by the class descriptions.

I think this would work if your concept of wizard means someone must have a "gift" or talent for magic to study it. Like Harry Potter.

If you go the other direction that anyone can study magic and become a wizard given the means opportunity it wouldn't make sense.
Why? A sorcerer must have some source of magic - but I don't understand why it wouldn't make sense?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Fighter and rogue gain that component through some combination of subclasses feats and magic items.

Analyze and breakdown your question for us. For purposes of discussion let's say that wotc creates a totally mundane barista inspired subclass that is tuned to compete with the most Christmas tree of Christmas trees magic item feat and spell PCs without the use of feats magic items or spells... What happens to the game when this Rifts inspired totally mundane dragon combat cyborg monstrosity joins the table with mere human vagabonds rogue scholars and city rats?∆. What happens when the totally mundane dragon combat cyborg wants to use the same magic & ultra tech everyone else uses just to keep up to enhance itself?

∆why yes those are race and class options in the same game

CreamCloud0

Nope. I'm going by the class descriptions.
and i'm going by the descriptions of the nature of the fundamental world, of which those classes are part of

yes, the fighter and rogue might not use the 'active magic sources' that the other classes use, but that doesnt mean the fighter and rogue aren't using the 'passive magic sources' that it's stated literally everything in the world uses and is built with

Last edited:

Flights of Fancy

Candy is King
Why? A sorcerer must have some source of magic - but I don't understand why it wouldn't make sense?
Yes, a sorcerer, but not a wizard, in the second option. The idea was to make wizard a subclass of sorcerer. Spellbooks allow greater spell access is the subclass thing. Which I feel works if you want wzards to have the gift for magic, like Harry Potter.

I said if the ability to use magic is a "gift" you are born with or gain from something, like the sorcerer, then wizards as sorcerers also have the "gift".

The second mind is a world where anyone can learn magic, you don't need it as a gift. If you think that way, it doesn't make sense that wizard should be a subclass of sorcerer. They have no "gift".

A wizard sorce of magic is learning magic -- nothing born with or gained by event. That is second option.

Remove ads