• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Sunless Citadel [IC1]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
The 5-foot-wide stairs are not particularly well made, however, they don't appear to be dangerous unless one would try to run down them. Krindorf has no trouble sneaking downward. There are three switchbacks on the stairs, each of which opens onto a small landing. With his darkvision, Krindorf can see something more from the second landing.

At the edge of sight, a fortress top emerges from the darkness. The subterranean citadel, though impressive, seems long forgotten, if the light-less windows, cracked crenelations, and leaning towers are any indication. All is quiet, though a cold breeze blows up from below, bringing with it the scent of dust and a faint trace of rot.

<<OOC: I have Krindorf leading, Brunhilde behind (with a torch?), then Eivan and Gregor at the rear. Correct?>>

grufflehead

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Think that's about right. All of us bar Krindorf need light to see I think, but we'll stay far enough back not to hamper his sneaking. In fact, maybe Eivan would like to hold the torch? If he's OK with that I'll go with battleaxe and shield.[/sblock]

WarShrike

First Post
Gregor follows Eivan down the stairs, his expression glum. "Dont go tripping on your robes wee-man, i'm not chasing a Gnome-ball down these stairs."

Errandir

First Post
Eivan raises his eyebrows, clearly nonplussed. "My robes?" he says, looking down at his normal traveling clothes - trousers, a linen shirt, a belt, and a jacket. "If that's some sort of jibe about wizards, then you're asking to get hit with a magic missile." Grinning, he continues down the stairs.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
The narrow stairs empty into a small courtyard, apparently the top of what was once a crenellated battlement. The buried citadel has sunk so far into the earth that the battlement is now level with the surrounding cavern floor. The floor stretches away to the north and south, and it is apparently composed of a layer of treacherous, crumbled masonry, which reaches to an unknown depth. To the west looms the surviving structure of what must be the Sunless Citadel. A tower stands on the west side of the courtyard.
[Sblock=Map]
SCEnc3Map1A.png
[/Sblock]<<What are you going to do now?>>

WarShrike

First Post
Gregor takes the time to perform a few martial exercises to limber up. Once done, he draws his greatsword and takes a few test swings before leaning the long blade against his shoulder.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
As Krindorf creeps forward, he doesn't here anything unusual at first. But after moving about 5 feet he hears a *click* and the floor drops out from under him and he falls downward to crash into the bottom of a 10 feet deep pit, hurting his leg in the process.
<<Failed Reflex save, rolled an 8. Krindorf: 3 damage, 6/9 HP remaining.>>

At the bottom there are two long dead skeletal remains of what looks like goblins to the dwarf. A third dead goblin is also lying at the bottom of the pit, partially eaten, probably only a day or so old. The diner, whose meal is interrupted by the dwarf's sudden arrival, happens to be a rather large dire rat. He looks up at his new dining companion and moves to attack.

*** Combat begins: Round 1 ***
[sblock=Tactical Grid]
SCEnc3Map2.png
[/sblock]Everyone is aware and there is no surprise round

Initiative Order:

22 - Krindorf
21 - Eivan
14 - Brunhilde
11 - Dire Rat
07 - Gregor

Last edited:

Remove ads