• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Tomb of Abysthor

Enter the catacombs near the desecrated Temple of Muir, Goddess of Paladins, and search for the lost Tomb of Abysthor. Can your heroes survive long enough to discover the secret of Abysthor's Tomb? Details the wilderness surrounding the desecrated shrines and the nearby nine level dungeon, including new monsters, new monster races, new magic items and new spells. For 4 to 6 characters level 2 to 8 and higher!

The Tomb of Abysthor is a 96-page perfect bound, softcover book with color cover and black-and-white interior. Layout follows the standard Necromancer Games format. The cover features a painting by Talon Dunning and interior art is by Brian LeBlanc. Priced at $11.95 (US) the book is an excellent value.

WARNING: This review contains spoilers. If you plan to play through this adventure, please stop reading now.

The Tomb of Abysthor consists of an ancient set of burial halls dedicated to the gods Thyr and Muir and the caverns around and below those halls. The tomb is now horribly desecrated and home to two competing evil factions, the priests of Orcus and the priests of Tsathogga. Tsathogga is an evil demon-god worshipped by the Tsathar, an evil race of frog-like humanoids. In addition to the factions, Tasha, a drow cleric/sorcerer and Balcoth, an undead rune mage, also lurk in the dungeon with their own agendas. There are more monsters waiting to slay your PCs as well, but I don't want to reveal all the Tomb's secrets.

The tomb itself is divided into six levels and two sub-levels. Each level has its own map, wandering monster table and short summary of the level's inhabitants. Old-timers will be immediately familiar with several of the adventure's elements. The Temple of the Frog is an homage to the very first published dungeon from the D&D supplement Blackmoor and the whole concept of a multi-level dungeon that contains competing factions is not a new one. Add to the mix things like teleporting corridors and familiar monsters like the mobat and killer frog, and Tomb becomes a virtual trip back into the history of D&D dungeons. Fortunately, The Tomb of Abysthor is MUCH better written than the majority of those old modules.

Tomb contains two appendices. The first presents a new spell (chant), a new cleric domain (vermin) and five new magic items (including three minor artifacts). The second appendix presents a new monster race (the tsathar) and several new monsters (cave moray, mobat, four different monstrous frogs, font of bones skeleton and stone guardian). Old-timers might remember the mobat from the Monster Manual II. In addition to the monsters are a new monster template (bleeding horror) and statistics for common priests of Orcus and priests of Tsathogga.

I found few problems with Tomb. I wish the maps were bigger. There are a few editing gaffs. Also, the fonts for the section headings look 'crammed together' for some reason. My biggest gripe is that using two of the NPCs require access to Relics & Rituals. Not a biggie, but I hope Necromancer doesn't make this a habit with future releases.

The best thing about Tomb is that it's not just a dungeon crawl. Clark and Bill took the time to create a 'political' situation that a clever DM can explore if he wishes. Of course, there is nothing to prevent the players from ignoring all this and just hacking as usual. I was also surprised how much I liked Tomb's art. The cover painting is well executed and I like the way Brian LeBlanc's interior illustrations follow the same party as they explore the dungeon.

I can't express just how much I like this adventure. In addition to just being a big hocking, nasty dungeon, The Tomb of Abysthor evokes the "third edition rules, first edition feel" like no other product from Necromancer Games that I have read. I can't wait to actually run a party through it. The only drawback for me is that I don't own Relics & Rituals and so I am going to either be forced to buy it (and God knows my RPG budget is limited enough already) or do some tinkering with the NPCs. That aside, Tomb is the most satisfying adventure that I have purchased since Third Edition D&D was released.

NOTE: Necromancer Games has posted a page of rumors and a summary of the Gods and Demons from the world of Necromancer Games on their product support page for The Tomb of Abysthor.

darth

First Post
Disclaimers: This review does not contain spoilers, and as such, may seem brief. This is not a playtest review.

Overall, the adventure was well written. It would work best for a good-aligned party. It claims to have a "first-edition feel", and it focuses on overcoming enemies inside a treasure-stocked underground dungeon, with little emphasis on roleplaying. There are problems to solve besides just hack-and-slah, however. The dungeon is not as static as many first edition dungeons, and many of the problems within provide role-playing opportunities.

Converting it to your own campaign should be simple enough. If you feel comfortable adding necromancer's extra gods to your game, you should have no trouble at all. None of their gods have very many worshippers, and so should fit in unobtrusively. If you have your own system of deities, (for example, if you were playing with the Greek pantheon, and so could not simply throw in new gods), you may have slightly more trouble, but not much. The book does make references to Relics and Rituals, but again, with a little reworking, you should have no problem getting by without it, even if you do not own that (excellent) book. Despite being a Sword and Sorcery game, there were no references to the Scarred Lands that I could see, although I am not familiar with that setting.

One thing that I especially liked was references to areas that had not been fleshed out yet. For example, the adventure takes place outside the city of Bard's Gate, which is not detailed, merely mentioned in passing. Necromancer is planning on releasing a sourcebook for it, but, in the meantime, you can simply make your own town up. In my mind, this frees up pages and gives the DM a chance to exercise some creativity. There are other blank spots in the adventure where Necromancer is planning on adding upcoming adventures, but these are also places where the clever DM can easily fill in his own adventures. Also, there are many possible adventure hooks, but the DM has many ways to work them into the game, so the plot is basiucally unstructured. To me, this was a great example of "first edition feel". Opportunities for individual DM customization of an adventure were much more common in early 1e, and I'd like to see more of them.

My biggest complaint is that the maps are too small, but Necromancer has provided a download with page-sized maps, perfect for writing on, so that's no problem. The price, around $12, is great for the length of the adventure (from 2nd to 12th level). I've enjoyed reading it as much as any $12 non-gaming book.

While I did not care for earlier releases from Necromancer, this one is excellent. If you have disliked some of their previous products, I would still urge you to give this one a try.

ASEO

First Post
The Tomb of Abysthor: 5

Spoilers...Big Time

95 Pages at $11.95 = $.12/ page

For levels 2-8. Warning, there are some encounters with ELs of 13-20. These are usually meant to be encounters to be avoided. I found this to be a great feature of the module that set it apart from others that are designed for the party to fight and defeat everything in every room.

OGL on last page with advertisement.

The Tomb of Abysthor is a fantastic dungeon ecosystem. As such, it is designed with all levels of the food chain in mind, and the adventurers are definitely on the top of this food chain.

The Tomb of Abysthor is a 9 level dungeon crawl that takes characters through natural caves, the tombs of Lawful Good saints, the temples of Evil Orcus worshipers, and the Temple of the Frog. (not the space ship from DA2, or the Blackmoor supplement, but related)

In addition to the dungeon crawl there is a brief overland trek with associated encounters that guides the party to the tomb.

The beauty of the module is that it is very nonlinear. Characters that go down the wrong stairs can easily end up WAY over their heads. I would not recommend running this adventure with a party that doesn't know when to run away. Like I mentioned above, the ELs in some locations sour way above the 4 levels higher than the party average.

While not necessary, a Lawful Good Cleric or a Paladin would be of great assistance in gunning this adventure.

The Dungeon is broken up into 9 levels:

Entry Level - a 10+/- encounter area with ELs around 2-4. There is however a stairway to Level 4 that is guarded by an EL12 trap/Demon. The party will most likely not find this area, but if they do they better run, and run fast. The entry level is an old tomb area that is now populated by Dire rats and a corrupted fountain that produces Skeletons. There are two passages that lead to Level one.

Level 1 - a 19 encounter area network of natural caves and carved tombs. ELs run from 1-8 with most being around 3. This area is the home of Giant Frogs, Stirges, Dire Rats, Skeletons as well as other beasties, and is the hunting ground for both an Ogre EL4 and a Wight EL4. There are exits to levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 as wall as the Entry level.

Level 2 - a 26 encounter area which, like level one, is a network of natural caves and the crypts of Lawful Good heroes. ELs run 2 to 8 with a possible EL11 Stirge Demon, that is listed as to be avoided until the party is of significant strength, and a possible EL13 with a Drow Sor8/Cle5 who lurks on this level. The level is the home of Spiders, Carrion Crawlers, Stirges, Ghasts, Ghouls and an outpost of the priests of Orcus. Additionally there is the tomb of a Lawful Good hero that could serve as a haven for the party. Woe be it to the party that decides to loot this tomb though. This level has exits to Levels 1, 2A, 3, 4, and the surface.

Level 2A - a 14 encounter area with an additional 4 rooms listed as unused. This cave and dungeon level is the lair of a wizard from another dimension. ELs range from3-5 with a EL12 encounter with a delegation of Orcus Priests and a EL12 with the Wraith/Rune mage Wizard. This level has exits to Level 2 and 6.

Level 3 - a 16 encounter cave and tomb area that was used by Lawful Good priests to burry their dead. ELs run 2-8 with most around 5 creatures include a couple of Basilisk, Cave Morays, Mobats and some Su-Monsters. There is the threat of an EL13 encounter with a Vrock that the party will probably run across. This level can be accessed from level 1, 2 and a couple of sinkholes on upper levels.

Level 4 - a 15 encounter dungeon area that serves as the temple for the priests of Orcus. ELs range around 6, but surge up to 12 in a large encounter with the forces of Orcus and 16 in the Temple of Orcus. This area can be accessed from Level 2 and the Entry Level and has an exit to the Underdark. But why you ask are the Priests of Orcus here? Aaahhh...

Level 5 - a 27 encounter area cave complex that houses the Temple of the Frog. A new race of frog-like creatures, the Tsathar (who are detailed in the back of the adventure) live here under the rule of a Grey Slaad. ELs go from 2 (some Dire Rats) to 20 with the Grey Slaad Cle11/Sor5. The module states "<the Grey Slaad's Name> is not meant to be killed. This is a horribly difficult encounter - even for Necromancer Games.". Most ELs range around 8-10. The tsanthar control this level. The module cautions against a head on attack and recommends stealth when navigating these halls. Exits lead to Levels 1, 5A, 6, and the Underdark.

Level 5A - This 13 encounter area is what the module is all about. It seems that Abysthor came here to try to seal a Black Monolith which is a gate to the Abyss. The Priests of Orcus are in the complex attempting to gain control over the monolith. The key to accessing the monolith is also on this level. A pool of Earth blood, this strange substance is believed to be the very blood of the earth god. to access the monolith you must be caring some of this substance in a living crystal container which can only be found on this level through a series of role playing encounters. Once the party gathers the earth blood, a Lawful Good member can enter the monolith and sacrifice 2 levels along with Abysthor's 20 levels to seal the gate. (to me this seemed to little a sacrifice for the heroes to make in such a heroic quest). If the priests of Orcus on the other hand get to the monolith, then they can open the gate to the Abyss. Not a good thing.

Level 6 - This 14+/- encounter cave level. This level was never discovered by the original Lawful Good tomb builders. The Priests of Orcus (coming from Level 2A) have just discovered it and are beginning to explore it hoping to find the monolith. ELs run from 2-9 with a EL18 long forgotten Lich. Most ELs are around 6-7. Su-Monsters and a Behir also dwell on this level. Exits lead to the surface, Level 2a and Level 5.

I really enjoyed the interlinked levels and the fact that not every room or creature had to do with the main plot. (Preventing the Priests of Orcus from finding the Monolith, even if the party doesn't know that is their goal when they start.) By populating a very vast cave network around which the adventure revolves, Necromancer Games provides a great living 3D environment. The party could easily make several forays into these chambers before stumbling upon the Priests of Orcus' evil plot It is very probable that when I run this adventure I will have my group play their minor characters in exploring the Entry Level and then report back to the player's main characters and have the main characters investigate the area further.

My one very minor gripe is that the font spacing for the room titles OftenRanTogetherAndWereHardToRead

I definitely plan on using this module in my campaign.

I give this product a 5.

ASEO out

olshanski

First Post
Tomb of Abyssthor
Written by Clark Peterson and Bill Webb

The criteria I use to evaluate a d20 adventure includes the following:

1. Interesting and varied encounters: I look for unique encounters, allowing for a variety of role and roll playing.
2. Motivations for NPCs and Monsters: or some detail of how they interact with their environment or neighbors.
3. Logical: the adventure should obey a sense of logic that clever players can use to their advantage.
4. Writing Quality: this includes foreshadowing, mystery, and descriptions that bring locations and NPCs to life.
5. Ease of DMing: Clear maps, friendly stat blocks, skill check numbers, player handouts and illustrations.

I don't give much weight to text density and cost per page... I'd rather pay a lot for a small clever mystery than pay a little for a huge repetitive monster bash.
I don't give much weight to new monsters, prestige classes, and magic items... they can add a little variety to an adventure, but I consider them to be only decoration.

THE BASICS: (not exactly spoilers)
The adventure is 96 pages long, cover price of $11.95 American.
3 pages of credits/legal/advertising
4 pages of wilderness adventure
77 pages of site-based, underground adventure (read: dungeon crawl)
9 pages of monster statistics
2 pages of new magic items and spells.

The adventure is designed for 4-6 characters of levels 2-8+. The adventure consists of a gigantic underground complex, (9 levels!) of mostly natural caverns with some worked and developed areas. There are several factions competing for power in what was once a series of burial caves and a nexus of ancient magic. In my estimation, the adventure breaks down into:
Approximately 82 combat encounters
Approximately 2 non-combat or role play encounters
Approximately 19 trap encounters
Approximately 17 trick/puzzle encounters
Approximately 23 environment encounters (things to examine)

The encounters range from easy to the incredibly difficult, They are heavily weighed towards the difficult end of the scale. Many encounters are likely to completely wipe out the party unless the DM is foolish or generous: e.g. 3 encounters have an EC of 11-13 on the first 3 levels. The next 3 levels have 5 encounters with an EC of 12-16, the final 3 levels contain 4 encounters with EC of 14-20. The players are expected to avoid or retreat from many of these encounters, which is not always possible, and in some cases the party will be in over thier heads before they realize thier mistake.

I should also mention that persistent party may be able to parley with a few of the opponents, which would bring up the possible number of role-play encounters.

The adventure is fairly setting neutral and could be dropped into any world, though will require some DM adjusting for specific gods and locations. Early on in the adventure, several puzzles rely on very specific gods which will likely have to be modified to fit in your campaign.

There are references to items, and spells in the d20 book by Sword and Sorcery studios "Relics and Rituals," There are also some references to custom monsters which are likely appearing in upcoming "Tome of Horrors" by Necromancer Games. There adventure has sufficient stats to play the monsters, but some spells will have to be re-written or improvised if the DM does not have "Relics and Rituals".

The authors, Clark Peterson and Bill Webb, suggest that a dungeon is a location for high adventure, and that the DM should tailor appropriate quests for the players. Some quests ideas become evident in reading the adventure. What the DM is left with is a huge complex, some of which the players will need to explore, while other vast sections are simply encounters without advancing characters goals.

I prefer adventures which are tightly written, with most scripted encounter serving as plot development or providing essential clues for the party. Tomb of Abyssthor is more of a sprawling collection of encounters, only some of which will be useful to the party. The authors have on thier website expressed disdain for the "clear the level" style of play encouraged by videogames. People who are accustomed to "clearing the level" will certainly be doomed to fail in this adventure--some puzzles cannot be solved, and many encounters cannot be overcome. I feel that unbeatable challenges are entertaining to read, but disappointing to play.

If you don't mind large sprawling non-linear dungeons with a smattering of very difficult run-or-die encounters, then you should ignore the numeric values of my ratings below... you will probably greatly enjoy this adventure. (as did the previous reviewers who have given this a 5/5).

THE SPECIFICS: (Some Spoilers Follow)

1. Interesting and varied encounters: (2/5) The adventure contains a Huge number of encounters... some of the encounters are unique, but the vast majority of them are with a limited collection of vermin and undead. There is almost no opportunity for role playing. There is a great deal of repition among the natural caverns and even with the traps that are encountered. Each level has about 2 unique encounters, 4 slightly different and interesting encounters, and 10 repetitive encounters with something the party has previously seen. There is little or no use for druids, bards, or rangers. And little opportunity for a rogue to do anyting but set off a few glyphs of warding. The players will need to exercise judgement on when to flee, and there are times when combat tactics will be important. I would have rated this a 1 for sheer repitition, however the few unique encounters were very creative and redeemed the adventure.

2. Motivations for monsters and NPCs: (3/5) In the cases in which enemies were intellegent, their motivations were well defined and logical. The authors often took care in writing plans of attack for the monsters and details of thier relationship with other intellegent beings in the complex. The large number of mindless undead and vermin brought down my rating in this category.

3. Logical: (3/5) The ecology of the wilderness and cave complex was consistent and believable. Various clues will assist the party in determining what sorts of opponents they are up against, as well as defining the territories of major competing factions. Small details were nice--for example, intellegent creatures are stealing treasure from the mindless ones. On the other hand, some of the opponents seemed a little out of place, (a drow sorceress, a gynosphinx, and various su-monsters). There were also some things that didn't "add up" if this was once a series of burial chambers above a nexus of magic... for example, the magician's laboratory on level 3 and the temple on level 5 both seemed a out of place... in that they seemed to have existed undisturbed for a great deal of time.

4. Writing Quality: (3/5) The quality of the writing is mixed. There are extremely well written sections next to very sparse sections. Some lairs, like those of Gorbash, Draeligor, Natasha, Alaric, and Balcoth get very detailed descriptions, while other rooms list little more than monster stats. I was entertained throughout the book and was happy with my purchase--unfortunately some of the entertainment was at the chutzpah of the authors who included such high EL encounters that would be certain to slay most adventurers. Many encounters were given only the briefest writeup, and would needed to have been more detailed to increase the rating I gave for this category, also the vast number of uninteresting empty rooms or looted graves brought down the rating for this category.

5. Ease of DMing: (2/5) The maps are difficult to read, but cleaner maps are available for download. The solution to one puzzle was to cast a spell which does not appear in a core rulebook, and must somehow have been introduced to the party. Other puzzles require casting several high level spells that the party will not have access to, and no indication that a solution is even possible (I am referring to the major feature on the ground level). The erratic nature of the encounter levels is also reflected in my giving this a very low rating. Some of the encounter levels are a little suspect... such as the Su-Monsters given a CR of 3, even though they have a devestating DC17 mind blast attack. There are no player handouts, no boxed text, and little sample dialogue in case players were to try to negotiate with any beings in the dungeon.

PLAYTEST RESULTS: (Major spoilers)

One player was a paladin of Muir (a godess specific to the adventure), and was on a quest for a holy relic so that he could one day enter a prestige class. Another player was a druid/barbarian in search of the source of pollution that tainted the crystal lake.

My players had mixed feelings about this adventure. The players were awed by the sheer size of the adventure, with corridors leading deeper and further into the dungeon... Several spoke to me in private about how amazed they were that the place "kept going on and on." We played for 9 sessions averaging 4.5 hours each, and the party encountered only about 1/4 of the available adventure.
Some of the battles created high levels of tension and excitement, but at other times the group was feeling the repitition. My group likes a portion of mystery, conversation, and intrigue with thier adventures. The players enjoyed the challenge of the fountain of blood, and the basalisk hunt, but mainly they were glad to leave... Our group has 4 men and 2 women in thier mid 30s. The dungeon crawl aspects of the adventure would have entertained us in our teens, but now we prefer more variety in our encounters.

I had to be heavy handed at a few points to discourage the group from too closely examining a "dreadful" door on the first level, and a statue of a Vrock a little bit deeper. Unless you enjoy total party kills, you should plan to be heavy handed as well.

FINAL WORD:

I enjoyed reading the adventure, and was very satisfied with my purchase. I had looked forward to playing this adventure and had planted adventure hooks since our group started with an earlier Necromancer Games product called "Crucible of Freya". The flaws in the adventure (the repitition of encounters, the aimless slogging through rooms) became evident only after we had played for several sessions. When reading the book, the repetitive sections were easily skimmed, but having to play out every glyph of warding, every wandering su-monster, and every dire rat nest became a bit tedius. People who have a lot of time to play, who like combat without the conversation, and who are persistent with thier quest (but know when to flee) will definitely have a good time with this adventure. If you enjoy reading adventures whether or not you would play them, I would give this a 4 or 5... but for playability I have to give this adventure a 3. I'll split the difference and rate it a very high 3.

The Tomb of Abysthor is an adventure for characters level 2-8 ("and beyond", the module claims) by Necromancer games. It is primarily a classic "dungeon crawl", but it is also a wonderful example of just why a dungeon crawl can be so much fun. This particular dungeon has an ecological system of sorts, and a political situation with several factions in an uneasy standoff all seeking the little-understood secret that lay in the heart of the dungeon. It's an interesting premise - one that players are encouraged to explore. I've now run this module through twice with different groups. In one group, the players decided to start a war between the two largest factions, in an attempt to "thin out the ranks". There's a lot of stuff going on here, and chances to negotiate, roleplay, and engage in non-combat activities are high.

As an "old school" module, the opportunities for "hack & slash" abound, but players who rely purely upon brawn rather than brains are very quickly going to quickly find themselves wiped out. The module itself is not incredibly difficult, but there are many encounters that will be too much for the PCs to handle if they rush in guns blazing. Careful thought, ambush, and knowing when to bypass potential fights entirely will really win the day here. There are also many intriguing puzzles, traps, and assorted mysteries to be found and dealt with in this module. The variety is generally quite high.

The module is designed as something of a mini-campaign. Players are not expected to run through it from start to finish. If anything, it is really more of an area that gets visited periodically as the players learn more information about the secrets that lay within.

Which brings us to the faults of the module. They are few but noticeable. One problem is that there is really no way for the party to fully "succeed" unless one or more PCs are of lawful good alignment. It would be nice if there were some alternate ways around the ending and some of the key parts of the module with a non-lawful party. The module also contains a few instances of spells and items from Sword & Sorcery's "Relics & Rituals" book, with little information on what the spells or abilities actually do. This makes it a little harder to use this module in a campaign where the DM doesn't have this book.

Also, there are a lot of sections of the module (including the climax) that are really impossible to find without outside assistance. This is fine, except said outside assistance is really not covered in the module. The DM is left on his own to note these spots, and provide the clues the players need to finish the module. I'm not opposed to doing a bit of customization and homework to prepare a module, but these should have been more clearly noted with suggestions for the DM for introducing these "missions" to the players.

Faults aside, this module stands out as one of the best modules and best bargains out there for D20. It stands out in my mind of what a good old-fashioned dungeon crawl SHOULD be - which is something far better than the old ritual of "kick the door down, kill the monster, take the treasure". It is a thinking person's dungeon, and should provide many sessions' worth of entertainment for the players and the DM.

Melan

Explorer
Tomb of Abysthor

WARNING: Spoilers within! Proceed at your own risk!

Some deals are simply too good to pass up. Tomb of Abysthor, a dungeon module from Necromancer Games is one of these deals – for $11.95, you get several nights of adventuring (in my case, about 8 sessions, or 64 hours total), new monsters, spells and magic items (additional online support includes a „Rumors Table” and a new prestige class in case you don’t have enough). It is also the first of Necromancer’s „mini-campaigns”, in that it is intended to encompass about four-five levels of character advancement (3rd-8th), all the while giving you incentives to come back on higher levels as well. The presentation is professional, with cover art by Talon Dunning and interior illustrations by Brian LeBlanc. The editing is fine, but there are a few errors – a misplaced piece of a stat block, somewhat crowded headers (this is due to a font used in the product), but nothing that would hinder a DM from using the module as intended.

Tomb of Abysthor revolves around a large, multi-level dungeon inhabited by several groups of nasties. Originally a site of great power, its upper levels were converted into a series of tombs and catacombs by the priests of two Lawful Good gods – Muir, godess of Paladins and Thyr, god of Justice (these gods are easily replaced by other Lawful Good deities, as I did for my campaign). Later, as the orders waned in power, the caverns were abandoned. Somewhat later, Abysthor, a high priest of Thyr received a holy vision to destroy some great evil at the site. He set out but didn’t return and it was assumed he died in the dungeon. This, however, was incorrect: Abysthor’s quest failed but he was left alive, trapped by the very evil he wanted to destroy.

There are several plot hooks that could be used to lure PCs to the Stoneheart Dungeon (as it is called now). They could be on a holy mission to rescue sacred writings, they could be searching for the advice of long dead paladins entombed withtin, or even seek the fate of Abysthor himself. They could also be looking for treasure. This, of course, means that they will likely miss some of the good stuff – the module assumes and rewards good characters, while providing opportunities for neutrals or even evildoers – there are multiple factions within the dungeon, and none of these particularly likes the others. Thus, antiheroes could get involved in dungeon politics, or just doublecross all others to achieve their own goals.

The first part of the adventure is the wilderness section. Unlike previous Necromancer offerings, it was incorporated into the book. It describes the „Valley of the Shrines”, where the dungeon is situated. There are monster lairs (all of them dangerous for PCs of this level – a cocky PC in my game found a cave and decided to clean it all by himself, even though he heard about a beholder lurking in the vicinity...) and two ruined temples, which pretty well drive it home that „all is not well”. Many locations must be fleshed out before use, but the ideas are all sound and interesting, and gave me a basis to expand the module by adding a new dungeon level, etc.

Stoneheart itself is divided into seven main levels and two sublevels. All of these save the first are caverns, and have multiple connections – in fact, you could skip many of them or arrive at them from below. The party could also locate alternate exits and entrances or get to places they shouldn’t – as with everything Necromancer, running away is pretty much required for survival. While my group of 6-8 4-5th level PCs (plus animal companions) managed to do well, there were many instances when they could have all been killed if they weren’t cautious. Clearing out levels is completely hopeless, and any group that tries to tackle everything they encounter will get crushed fast. On the other hand, Tomb is a lot more forgiving than Rappan Athuk, and could easily serve as a traing ground for the same. There are few unfair „gotcha” encounters – most of the time, a party can negotiate or flee before they are gobbled up or subdued and sacrificed by evil clerics. Of course, if you are desperate to be killed, you will be very, very happy, as such opportunities are numerous and quite entertaining...

The levels are as follows:
-Entrance level: this is a smallish level dominated by „the Font of Bones”, an evil magical well that is flowing with (unlimited) skeletons. Judging by the stories on the Necromancer Boards (and my own experiences), this is where the least cautious parties will be annihilated. On the other hand, it is easy to bypass the place and proceed down. The level also has a connection to level four, the Temple of Orcus, but there are clear hints that going this way may not be a good idea...

-Level I is inhabited by a large ogre, undead and unintelligent monsters. It also has stairs to the Temple of Orcus and the Temple of The Frog, among others.

-Level II is a lot more dangerous – some parts more than others, but definitely worse than I. The main attraction here is Dark Natasha, a renegade drow sorceress-priest.

-Level IIA is the first of the sublevels. It contains the lair of Balcoth, a wraith-wizard. Balcoth could become an ally or even a patron for evil parties, as long as they keep their distance. I also found he was just the perfect NPC to intimidate exhausted heroes to part with their more powerful magical items.

-Level III contains the tombs of fallen heroes and an abandoned laboratory. The main danger here is the multitude of unintelligent monsters – they aren’t just strong, but numerous as well.

-Level IV, the Temple of Orcus, is the place most low-level parties should avoid. The high priest and his lackeys are essentially the most active force in the whole place (albeit granted, not the most powerful) and a frontal assault will likely result in a TPK. The place also contains one of the biggest errors in the whole module – there are supposed to be three entrances to this level, but the map only shows two – easily remedied but still annoying. The art to this level is easily the best in the whole book, or in any Necromancer module before Necropolis.

-Level V is another evil temple, the Temple of the Frog. The vile worshippers of Tsathoggua, the froglike tsathar dwell here, not to mention the multitudes of various frogs (dire, killer, abyssal dire, poisonous, etc.). Actually, this is my favourite level of all (although this preference may be affected by my unnatural love of giant frogs and froglike monsters, or just simple IRL frogs). It is a very eery and alien place (my players wanted to get out as soon as they saw the frog-priests worshipping the giant idol in the central cavern!), not to mention extremely dangerous – taking on the temple is suicidal, even for high level parties. Maintaining a low profile is recommended.

-Level VA is where Abysthor found the source of the evil in Stoneheart, not to mention a place that holds the very power of the mountains itself. Unfortunately, while many great ideas are contained herein, there are several arbitrary „step here and die” traps, not to mention the linerarity of the whole section. It all felt out of place and after my players (who complimented the rest of the module, which they rarely do) accidentally discovered and „solved” it, they came away somewhat let-down and unsatisfied. Which is too bad, since, again, the rest was so good.

-Level VI is the last – it is really deep down, and contains many extremely nasty surprises – a psionic su-monster horde, a behir, a lich and more. While unrelated to the main „theme” of the module, it served as a good reminder why avoiding lower levels could be a good idea (and, additionally, a lot of fun for me when the clerics of Orcus destroyed the main dungeon entrance and the party had to go through the place again).

Why is Tomb of Abysthor so much fun? In my opinion, this success could be attributed to the following factors:
a) it has a clear, evocative theme and several smaller „sub-themes”. Unlike many other modules (even by WotC, *cough* Return to the Endless Crater Ridge Mines *cough*), the players encounter lots of different and interesting areas/encounters.
b) the dungeon feels more „realistic” (I know, here comes the „R-word”...) due to the squabbling factions (who could be exploited by a clever party – or who could exploit a less clever one, like mine) and the fact that the levels don’t feel isolated. By the time we finished, my players really hated Orcus and his clergy – I have the feeling they will return in time to take their revenge and get killed horribly...
c) while the emphasis is on action and exploration, there are opportunities for puzzle-solving or interacting with the denizens.
d) the size of the whole place isn’t as intimidating as Rappan Athuk (which is also fine, by the way), but offers enough room to feel large and maintain the mystery of unexplored depths.
I would venture to say it is actually better than most first edition adventures, while paying homage to them. It is all the coolness you remember about the old days, only without rose coloured glasses. In conclusion, I would recommend Tomb of Abysthor to everyone who likes well done dungeon crawls – for this is certainly one of them.

As several people have reviewed this adventure already I will content myself to adding my evaluation after running it in my campaign, and thus keep it short. I wish to focus on the gaming experience of running this module. This review contains spoilers, but I’ll try to keep them fairly minor.

General description
Tomb of Abysthor could be described alternately as a huge dungeon or a mini-campaign. It is a part of Necromancer Game design philosophy to make modules that last at least 4 or 5 levels. Personally I find this extremely useful. There is no timeline in the module (apart from a six month limit), so it is easy to add side quests or entire side adventures. The dungeon will still be there. It is a site-based adventure, but it can be made as dynamic as the DM wishes. On the other hand, the absence of a plot means that the DM must put a little effort into motivating the players to get into the dungeon.

High points

-The adventure is very flexible. If the DM is short on time, it is easy to leave the monsters where they are even after several raids on the dungeon without detriment to the internal logic. On the other hand, it is possible to move monsters around, add traps and even for the bad guys to mount raids and come after the characters at their home base.
-There is a wealth of spicy detail, a couple of new interesting monsters and a few very interesting NPCs. I also liked the touch of mystery.
-It is a huge adventure. My characters first entered the dungeon at level 2 and finished at level 11. Of course I added a lot of side quests, but the lower levels were still challenging to those high-level adventures.
-Even those parts of the dungeon that sounded boring when I read the adventure were fun to play. The adventure provided immense value for the money.
-The encounters ranged from the easy to the outright deadly, which kept the players on their toes.
-There are tons of support (including errata) on the Necromancer Games internet site, as well as a friendly community of fans to exchange advice and tips with.

Low points
-There are very few plot hooks, even it is fairly easy to invent some to get the players into the dungeon and feel that they have accomplished something.
-Some of the stat blocks are wrong or not fully 3.0 compliant. Even though there is errata, there is a little too much errors.
-Some of the magical effects (e.g. the purple haze) seem a little unreasonable, rules-wise. The Font of Bones is practically indestructible, which seems a bit steep. It shouldn’t be more difficult to destroy it than to create it. None of this affects game-play adversely, though.
-Abysthor is a 20th level character, which may upset the history of some low-powered campaigns somewhat, even if it doesn’t matter in play.
-One of the NPCs is heavily dependent on Relics and Rituals from Sword&Sorcery studios. I don’t mind bringing in non-core material, but this was a little too much in one place.
-Many NPCs in Necromancer Games adventures are multiclassed Clerics/Sorcerers. While this makes for great flavour, it also tends to make them weak for their CR (in 3.0, that is).Also Staurath had no reasonable use of his sorcerer levels as his full plate rendered him a 40% arcane spell failure.
-Many of the evil NPCs have very high ability scores and lots of evil items, which the players may find a bit unfair (unless they are unscrupulous enough to sell the evil items, in which case they will be very rich indeed).
-The tsathar were a bit of a pushover after the challenges on the preceeding levels.
-It is almost impossible to find the final level without the aid of True Seeing or Find the Path. This could easily lead to the party wasting a lot of time or even getting killed by exploring the wrong parts of the dungeon.

Conclusion:

As you can see, my criticisms are either nitpicks or consequences of the fact that the adventure is heavily site-based. The enjoyment factor was huge. I have never ever had this much fun DM-ing an adventure. The challenges were varying and exciting and there were many climactic moments. So if you’re looking for a good solid dungeon crawl, Tomb of Abysthor is one of the best on the market.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads