• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The top 10 D&Disms you want to see in a D&D movie?

sniffles

First Post
Fast Learner said:
I write specifically of the
bandits
. C'mon,
bandits
are guarding the entrance to the uber-important place? And in lieu of
surrounding the party and getting surprise
, they
make noise to get everyone's attention

Dude, those are some lame-ass
bandits
. I think the DM was having an off-moment. :D

Okay, I have to agree about that. Although they did sneak up on the party really well before making their appearance! They should have been heard from half a mile away. Guess the party failed their Spot checks. :D

OK, this isn't a D&D cliche', but the film does fulfill the obligatory fantasy film cliche' of totally useless armor (just what is that bit of chainmail hanging from, anyway?), no helmets, or helmets that aren't strapped on yet stay on even during the most strenuous of activity.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Hand of Evil said:
1.DM
2.Dice
3.DM Screen
4.Minis
5.Chainmail bikini
6.Paladin
7.Cleric
8.Drow
9.Mindflayer
10.Tavern fight

How about if they have a mindflayer wearing a chainmail bikini that picks a tavern fight with a drow. The cleric and Paladin join in. They throw minis, dice, and a DM screen at each other during the fight.

Mighty Veil

First Post
Could you settle in seeing [SBLOCK]a fighter, rogue, chick elf mage, chick mage, old "red shirt" cleric, another tired Xena archtype chick barbarian? Maybe a computer cartoon undead dragon? A plastic masked lich or plastic mask half-orc with a fu-man-chu? A Lava Child? An introduction to the D&D magic system? Web spell? Gem of seeing? Surely you'd rather this in a movie over a vorpal sword, prismatic spray, the tarrasque, and Warduke![/SBLOCK]

Last edited by a moderator:

KenM

Banned
Banned
I am surpised no one has mentioned they wanted to to see a drow ranger using two scimitars. ;)
The other thing the movie needs is steam tunnels, gotta have steam tunnels.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
wingsandsword said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! My eyes, the goggles do nothing!

Sometimes great things, like mindflayers and chainmail bikinis, don't go well together.
there is a picture of one around here somewhere, swimsuit edition...time for a search. ;)

Chaldfont

First Post
You folks have hit most of mine. I'd like to see a lot of D&D cliches littered throughout the movie.

A patch of green slime.
The movie starts in a tavern.
The main characters aren't do-gooder heroes--just treasure hunters.
Classic magic items like: bag of holding, portable hole, etc.
Cursed magic items like: helm of alignment change, potion of delusion, etc.
Classic mundane items like: 10-foot-poles, iron spikes, caltrops, iron rations, holy water, flasks of oil, etc.
A purple worm.
The Hand and Eye of Vecna -- and their use by an NPC.
A gelatinous cube.
Gratuitous use of magic spells--lots of fireballs, magic missiles, charm persons, polymorph other, etc.
Tons of insider references to modules, NPCs, locations, etc.

Hey all! :)

Okay, slight change of tack...

"What D&Disms could be achieved with a relatively low budget!?"

or

"How can we recreate D&D on the cheap?" :D

What spells, monsters and items can a low budget accomodate.

Heres a stab at the monsters:

1. Aberrations. Most would require cgi, although the Cloaker, Ettercap, Mimic, Mind Flayers, Nagas and Will-o'-wisps wouldn't be too difficult

2. Animals. Including dire varieties? Hell Hounds and Winter Wolves wouldn't be too difficult.

3. Constructs. Flesh Golems, easy. Anything else, slightly trickier.

4. Dragons. Very costly.

5. Elementals. Invisible Stalkers, Magmin and Mephits should be easy enough.

6. Fey. Generally the opposite to giants. Just have people in make-up shrunk down.

7. Giants. You could do giants by simply using trick photography, camera angles and so forth.

8. Humanoids. Could be done with a bit of make-up, lizardfolk would require some hefty prosthetics and might look a bit ropey if not done right.

9. Magical Beasts. Very tricky for the most part.

10. Monstrous Humanoids. With the exceptions of the Medusa and Yuan-Ti, these could work.

11. Oozes. Not so sure about how these would animate.

12. Outsiders. Angels and Genies would be easy.

13. Plant creatures. Other than Treants, fairly easy, no cgi.

14a. Corporeal Undead. except skeletons (unless they are mostly armoured/clothed). Zombies, Ghouls, Wights, Vampires, Mummies, Liches, Death Knights all fairly easy.

14b. Spectral Undead. fairly easy cgi trick to accomplish...I would think. Even the spectres in the movie looked pretty good (although they would have looked much better at night).

15. Vermin. I'm guessing these would have to be CGI.

Kaodi

Hero
Casting The Iconics

So, if you were dead set to include the 3e Iconic party in your movie, who would you cast as Jozan, Tordek, Lidda and Mialee, without naming people who have already performed similar roles?

I've been thinking about it mostly in terms of the look, and the first that came to mind was Katie Holmes for Lidda. And, well, uh... I'm kind of still working on the other three. Are there any good pictures of Jozan or Tordek sans the helms? Maybe Jolene Blalock for Mialee, or, maybe not, hehehe...

Remove ads