• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Twilight Paths Campaign (Updated 7/30 - Questions from Above)

Cinerarium

First Post
Hi folks!

This story hour chronicles the Twilight Paths campaign, run by rjsmalls in his home-brewed campaign world. His world's several years old (ask him for more details) but this campaign's only been going on since the end of 2002.

My character, Goetryn Pater (Tryn for short) is a roguish cleric of Deneir (yes, we're using FR deities -- works out pretty well). He keeps a journal of his travels, and that's the form these story hours take. He's also a bit... verbose, and everything written is from his perspective, so the tone of this story hour might be very different from what you're used to.

I hope you enjoy the story hour, and please let me know what you like and what you don't!

Thanks,
Cinerarium

Last edited:

Cinerarium

First Post
Let it begin

The Journals of Goetryn Pater
Blessed is Deneir, Lord of Glyphs, who first taught mortals the gift that is writing. May He look upon this work as a paean to His greatness from His most humble follower, and be pleased.

Nightal 15, 1361 Demos Reckoning, 4 leagues north of Cymeria

Our first night on the road! Gunnstein and I have set camp for the night with a caravan of the Red Hydra coster on its way to Harren. We decided to travel with these merchants for mutual protection and companionship, and so far it has proved a wise decision. Gunn has found a set of gambling partners at one of the fires, and I have found some respite to myself, though I must admit one of the serving girls in the caravan is doing her best to distract me!.

Nevertheless, I must begin to chronicle this journey (and, anyways, she stinks, a sad consequence of life on the road, I suppose). Now is as good a time as any for reflection, and for peace of mind I must seek it in writing, that blessed gift from our great Lord.

Indeed, the events of the past week are only now beginning to sink in fully. To be brief and protect the honor of those involved, let me simply say that following a war of words over a girl, one of my rivals beat me within an inch of my life. The painful bruises are still healing, and I am afraid my nose will forever have a slight bend to it. My father, Rolg, fearing for my life I think (this was not the first such encounter for me, sad to say), decided to send me to Harren, the Sevencity, for my own protection. He also sent Gunnstein Hroar, one of his Gordian guards, to protect me.

I can’t say that I’m not angered at my father’s heavy-handed involvement, as he has been all but absent in my life for the past four years since entering the employ of the Countess Sable. At the same time though, the open road beckons with all that it offers. I can either take this as a setback, or an opportunity, and I choose the latter. Travel will give me a chance to prove myself – to myself most importantly. I left Cymeria with a clean slate. My petty rivalries and imbroglios are left behind there, and in Harren I can make a fresh start, or if not there, perhaps in Reynholt or Pell.

Ah, to someday even return to the Val Hor of my youth! To study in its libraries and universities! Some day, when I have some experience and means of my own, I would travel there and search out the Metatext on my own. But I digress.

So tonight, we camp here. I leave you, journal, for the morrow. I am weak, and Lyalle (the aforementioned serving girl) beckons.

Nightal 18, the Wilds of Luc Valu, North of Cymeria

There is much to report, and little to comprehend, dear journal.

This morning our caravan was attacked by horsemen. The bandits came on us over a hill to the west, and fell swiftly upon the caravan. In the chaos, Gunn hauled me off the road and into the tree line to the east, and in doing so he possibly saved both our lives. The merchants quickly surrendered, but instead of looting the caravan outright, the bandits were searching for… us.

Gunn and I watched as long as we could, while the bandits interrogated the merchants about our whereabouts. Fortunately we had escaped in the confusion, but even so we decided to head further into the wilds to avoid capture.

I find this development very disturbing. Why were they looking for us? I doubt that my rivals would have gone to the point of hiring bandits to hunt me, but whom else could it have been?

Tonight while making camp, Gunn and I talked over our situation. The Gordian is clearly nervous being so exposed in the wilderness, and feels bound to protect me. Neither of us wishes to return to Cymeria, as I fear my rivals and Gunnstein my father’s wrath. Harren seems dangerous for now as well, as presumably whomever knew to send the bandits after us knew that we were bound for the Sevencity. Gunn mentioned that he knows of possible work to be found in the fishing villages along Lake Harren. The roads are clear, and the snow light for so late in the year. The villages seem like a good place to lay low for the time being and see what the new year brings. We head north and east.

Nightal 22, East of Lake Harren

While setting camp tonight we were ambushed by lizardfolk, horrific humanoid lizards stinking of death. Four attacked us at dusk, swinging great clubs and screeching for our blood. Fortunately I had heard them approaching and was able to get off a crossbow bolt at one as it approached. The three remaining tried to flank us, but Gunn charged and was able to incapacitate one. As it fell, the other two broke and ran, and my next bolt shot high and missed.

Now we stay awake and worry that more will be back. We had heard that these lands were infested with the lizardfolk – the work Gunn talked of getting in the fishing villages was to protect the towns from the incursions of these very creatures. I fear now that our camp is not safe, and that more will return. We have decided to make for a large hill to our west, seeking safety in higher ground. We can only be a few days from the shores of Lake Harren, and hopefully we will be able to see it from there. First our caravan is attacked, and now our camp! An evil star has shone on me since leaving Cymeria.

Goodnight, dear journal, I hope to write in you again.

Nightal 23, the marshes east of Lake Harren

Progress continues to be slow. We should make the hill tomorrow night. Our rations run low. I only hope that if this journal is ever recovered it can be a warning to others: avoid this area on your life.

Nightal 24 – Hope out of the Darkness?

Many events today! As we made ready to set camp on the western slope of the hill, Gunn and I spotted a motley group of humanoids approaching us – a strange collection of demihumans and foreigners. I quickly moved off the road, fearing the worst after so many ill meetings in the last tenday. As they neared the base of the hill, we saw that they were themselves pursued by another group of lizardfolk. A tense battle ensued as Gunn and I joined forces with the newcomers, and Gunn was nearly killed. I fear my crossbow bolts were little help, though I did slay one of the beasts. The creatures even offered us a chance to surrender, but we refused (we? I hardly know these people), fearing what our fate might be in their clawed hands. The ensuing battle was the fiercest yet, as the lizardfolk shamans even used spells against us. By Tymora’s favor on lost causes, we were able to drive them back into the swamps whence they came.

The strangers seem friendly enough, a rare blessing after so many troubles. They are:

• Riley, a human from the Freecity of Pell
• Kazir, an Aradeeti wizard of some kind
• Pell, a gnome wizard
• Driade, an elven huntress

For mutual protection, we have decided to band together in the swamp. This group is out here following a map to an unknown destination. They were hired by Lordling Matrim of the Hills to follow a map he discovered in a painting of one of his ancestors. Lordling Matrim, though, perished in their first battle upon entering the swamp. They buried the Lordling, but decided to continue on his quest and honor his name.

Further in the swamp, they encountered a leaning monument covered in runes. Showed these runes, I attempted to translate them. I have some small skills at this, and deciphered the following information:

… six sacrifices to seal his slumber… one… blood to awaken him… darkness falls… at dawn.

The meaning of this is lost on all of us, but it certainly sounds ominous. It is several hundred years old, but curiously the language appears to be Epalian, a language that should have died thousands of years ago with the Epalian Empire. If not for a few tomes I saw the language in as an altar boy, I never would have recognized the script. Even more strange, those who saw it claim the obelisk itself appeared to be much older than the writing, perhaps four to five thousand years old, though how anyone not a dwarf could tell the difference is beyond me.
The runes seem unrelated to the quest at hand, though, however fascinating I may find them. Our new companions’ map has led them thus far, and they expect to soon approach the intersection indicated on the map.

A final note lest I forget in slumber. Kazir’s owl familiar, Zazu, spotted a rider on horseback observing us from a distance. I am too exhausted to add this rider to our growing list of horrors. I bid you, dear journal, goodnight.

Last edited:

Tellerve

sweet

Sweet man, good read. I like the journal entry varitey you've made, and it reads well. I have to agree with you, the world seems very real and palpable, I'm jealous :D Who knows, maybe I'll get a job in the virginia area and come play!

latah,

Tellerve

p.s. MORE UPDATES! haha

Cinerarium

First Post
Nightal 26, the Tomb of Luvios

Where to begin, my dear journal? As you can see, some blood has fallen on these pages recently, and a sad tale is in the telling.

Yesterday we followed the map to a hillock covered in black roses, strangely abloom for so late in the year. A door in the hill was covered with magical sigils that Pell identified as belonging to Luvios, a long-dead archmage. The door was jammed shut with age and rot, but the plucky gnome managed to wrest it open while the rest of us were debating how to. With great trepidation we entered the tomb.

After descending into the bowels of the earth, our entry tunnel emerged into a foyer adorned with old casks, a couch, but most notably a number of corpses, long decayed. Someone spotted the claws of a large creature under the couch, but it never disturbed us.

Three of the corpses were arrayed with the burial rites of Our Lady of Luck, Tymora. Gunn disturbed the bodies, and I fear for his fortune. Have I mentioned that Gunn lacks all sense of tact and respect? I know many would expect no less from a Gordian, but I refuse to believe that his uncouth behavior is given to him merely by his birth. Alas, I digress! My nerves are shot and my mood black.

Driade was able to identify the tracks of several people moving into the next chamber, and then one person’s boot tracks running in the opposite direction, pursued by a humanoid with enormous feet. The runner passed down the western hall, and fell into a pit trap there. On the corpse we found the artifacts of Lordling Matrim’s ancestor, a shield bearing the Hills heraldry, and an enchanted sword.

We followed the footprints further into the tomb, and encountered nothing but more skeletons and rotted books. Sadly, none of the tomes were in a state that could be recovered.

Finally, at the end of a long hallway, Riley opened a door and found himself face to face with a huge creature sewn together from the flesh of corpses. He turned and retreated past us down the hallway. Gunn ran in to fight the beast and was quickly pummeled. Fast thinking by the rest of the party led to the beast’s defeat, but after several injuries.

Riley again opened the door to the next room, and found himself this time facing the undead! Several of the slavering abominations, their rotting tongues lolling over ancient fangs, turned at the sound. Riley bravely tumbled into the room amidst the ghouls. In horror, I saw them all turn their fanged maws his way. Before any of us could get to him, he was eaten alive by the ghoulish creatures! I shall be haunted by the image of his demise, eaten alive, his mouth paralyzed in a silent scream as his throat was ripped open by the unhallowed fangs of ghouls.

In the ensuing fight, I and the majority of the group fought bravely but ultimately fell. Pell alone stood against the remaining creatures, and was able to single-handedly defeat them! The small gnome proved huge in battle, and were it not for him we would all have faced Riley’s gruesome fate.

In my unconscious state, I drifted for some time before finding myself walking in a dimly lit library. This library contained an impossible number of books and scrolls, though I could only reach the closest at hand. I felt myself drawn to a scroll lying open on a candlelit table. As I picked up the scroll, the glyphs blazed with light, and a purely ecstatic feeling flooded my being. I felt in contact with Deneir. He had chosen me to be one of His agents on Ostia Prim! My great Lord has blessed me so! When I awoke, I knew I had the power to pray for magical boons as His loyal servant.

Unfortunately my first use of these boons was to bless the body of our comrade Riley. I hardly knew him, but he was a courageous and knowledgeable man. I mourn his loss.

We will stay in the tomb and heal, as it seems safe here.

I would be remiss in my duties if I did not report on a few of the contents of the tomb besides the undead. Amongst the old mage’s belongings we have recovered a few tomes, namely An Account of the Formation of Leaf Enclave, Red Randall’s Stonetooth Expedition (a set of memoirs not unlike these), and Dobyn the Short’s Essay on Conjuration. This last, Pell tells me, is magical and he intends to study it further. The other two tomes I have retained for my own study.

Cinerarium

First Post
Tellerve?

Hey Twilight Path Followers!

Everybody in rjsmalls' campaign might wonder what Tellerve's connection is to me. Tellerve was in my campaign waaay back in high school, and we're still best buds and play whenever we're in town together to this day. Despite his comments about drow females over on Piratecat's story hour, he's a really good guy, and one of the best all around D&D/roleplayers I know.

Tellerve

well....

I dunno, I'm going to stick to my guns about the drow thing. I guess I just never wanted them to be as depraved as they should be so as such they are more just sexy and evil in a good way. Err, *sigh*, probably gone too far again!

Good stuff Cinerarium! woohoo, I ask for an update and I got one...now that rocks. I'm going to try my luck again and ask for another update. BTW, I really am enjoying the writing style, although I am not surprised of course. From hearing you speak about the campaign it sounds like an excellent tapestry to paint. And of course I know first hand your artestry with words and story, huzzah!!!

Oh, and thanks for the compliments,

Tellerve

RJSmalls

First Post
Well struck, Tryn!

I find two things very ironic:

1) I find myself reading your story with a sense of anticipation, even though I already know how certain plot threads turn out. And,

2) The game sessions we've had seem to be more richly detailed and personal on the pages of your journal than they did around the table.

The first I can chalk up to a weak memory, but the second simply must mean you're a better writer than I am DM. I can only hope the the campaign continues to improve so as to better equal the great writing within your journals.

I know that I normally don't delve into Story Hour's on the site until there's at least a dozen or so up-dates. Helps to give me a better idea whether it's a tale I'd like to follow or not. Thus, I'll echo Tell's request and ask that you upload some more pages during your first free moment! :)

Vaclava,
Smalls

derimos

First Post
the stuff of legends

dude.

love the journal. tell you dm to get on with the game so we can hear more about this particular rogue-y divine agent of ohnier.

Tellerve

grr

Almost the whole Sunday has passed at yet not an update! You dare to anger the story board gods Cinerarium?!

Seriously though, I know you have plenty more as your at least a good couple posts behind the actual campaign from what you've told me over chat sessions. So get going! :D

Good stuff good stuff!!

Tellerve

Cinerarium

First Post
Ok, ok!

I should get in the next post tonight!

And I'll throw out some props for derimos as well -- another one of my best buds (was the best man at my wedding as well) from back in the day. Another sick role player as well.

Remove ads