D&D 5E The Unlucky Guy

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Every group has one. The unlucky guy. He can fail any save. Whiff on any attack. Die in single combat against any house cat.

So here's the question: What feat of incredible unluck gave your unlucky guy his title?

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In my first session with a new group, I played my favorite ranger, Red Creek Rufus and his giant boar pal, Belvedere. We were marooned on an island after a sea dragon took down our ship. As we went about the business of seeing to our basic survival needs, which included doing battle with island denizens, Rufus failed every single roll that session. He never hit. He never succeeded at an ability check. He failed saves. For any spell he cast that had a saving throw (animal friendship, for example), the monsters made their saves.

In subsequent sessions, his luck has improved, but I decided after the first session to essentially play him as the Worst Ranger Ever. He makes up stuff about monsters the party faces, giving them strange names, drawing the wrong conclusions about their abilities. When someone questions him, he makes an argument from authority - "I'm a ranger, I know these things."

His lack of luck continues in one particular area consistently though - communicating with animals. Whenever the party comes across some monsters in the forest, the running gag is the party sends Rufus forward to communicate with them. He does some strange gesticulating and animal noises, occasionally tries an animal friendship spell, and inevitably everything goes awry. "Rufus turns around to face the party with a concerned look in his eye and shouts, 'Run!'" is how most of our combats start out!

Wiseblood

Adventurer
In my first session with a new group, I played my favorite ranger, Red Creek Rufus and his giant boar pal, Belvedere. We were marooned on an island after a sea dragon took down our ship. As we went about the business of seeing to our basic survival needs, which included doing battle with island denizens, Rufus failed every single roll that session. He never hit. He never succeeded at an ability check. He failed saves. For any spell he cast that had a saving throw (animal friendship, for example), the monsters made their saves.

In subsequent sessions, his luck has improved, but I decided after the first session to essentially play him as the Worst Ranger Ever. He makes up stuff about monsters the party faces, giving them strange names, drawing the wrong conclusions about their abilities. When someone questions him, he makes an argument from authority - "I'm a ranger, I know these things."

His lack of luck continues in one particular area consistently though - communicating with animals. Whenever the party comes across some monsters in the forest, the running gag is the party sends Rufus forward to communicate with them. He does some strange gesticulating and animal noises, occasionally tries an animal friendship spell, and inevitably everything goes awry. "Rufus turns around to face the party with a concerned look in his eye and shouts, 'Run!'" is how most of our combats start out!

I laughed out loud at work. "I'm a ranger, I know these things." We have a guy that has a low dex. He also has a d20 that is less than true and tends to scew lowish. As a result I think he has gone first in initiative never. Everyone else has a bonus but for him to go first everything has to line up just so. It will be like an eclipse.

lonelynoose

First Post
Our rogue always passes all his stealth checks until he's right up on the enemy. By himself. He'll stealth up, get information and then fail when leaving. Every... single... time.

alienux

Explorer
I had a halfling stout rogue thief named Strat that was going solo through Death House (I was teaching someone to DM and I had them run a solo game for me to help them get started). After defeating a nursemaid spirit/specter, Strat exited the room and opened the door to a storage closet, at which point he was attacked by an animated broom. The broom beat him to death within 3 rounds, while Strat failed to make a single hit. Then Strat failed his first death save, followed by a death save with a result of 1, ending his short adventure.

24Fanatic365

Villager
Our bard is Unlucky Guy at my Wednesday Night Adventurers League group at the local game shop. He tends to shoot other members of the party when he decides to use his bow. My first night there, he shot me in the back instead of hitting a goblin, because he rolled a 1 on his attack roll. After combat was over, he tried to blame our rogue as being the one who shot me, but horrendously failed his deception roll. According to the rest of the party, this wasn't the first time he had errantly shot another party member with an arrow from his bow. It also wasn't the first time he failed at convincing the rest of the party that the shot had come from another PC.

Last night, while we were all searching a room we had just cleared, he found 4 agate stones that were worth 25 gp each. He decided he wanted to keep them for himself instead of throwing them into the collective party treasure pot, and abysmally failed his slight of hand roll, while our monk rolled a natural 20 on his perception check against the bard's slight of hand. It wasn't the first time he had failed at this particular ruse, either, and I'm thinking he probably still hasn't learned his lesson that stealing from the party may have dire consequences in game. Our cleric already (who is the party's treasurer) already had trust issues with him, since he had caught him trying to hold out on the party in the past. Now, the entire party is keeping their eyes on him when we search for treasure Only time will tell if he'll mend his ways... :)

tardigrade

Explorer
We had the opposite: the party got an NPC goblin for a sidequest, who (despite having standard goblin stats) was constantly rolling crits and dodging attacks. I think he and the 4th level dwarf barbarian tied for kills that session. I was already playing him as patronising and condescending so it fit perfectly. "Not like that, do it like this!"

Oofta

Legend
I had a player who was incredibly unlucky - if there was water involved. A high dex character, if there was any challenge involving water such as navigating a slippery ledge over shark-infested waters, or simply trying to avoid slipping and falling into the muck in the sewers he would roll a 1 every time.

As far as the OP, I did consider an "Unlucky" feat. Three times per day you could roll with disadvantage and give another player inspiration. DM had final say on whether the inspiration was warranted - there had to be real consequence to taking disadvantage.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
For ours it was a Warlock.
Could not hit with his spells or cantrips to save his life.

Vicious mockery? Nope, the NPC spat back with a better jibe
Eldritch blast? Miss wide
Save against the corrupting powers of the far realm? Nope. Turn into a new villain against the party (this was when he decided to reroll cleric, so pretty consensual).

When he would hit, he would be beaming with a smile, and then roll the lowest damage the attack could do. I felt so bad... while laughing uncontrollably.

Remove ads