D&D 5E The Unlucky Guy

Wulffolk

Explorer
Maybe not the most EPIC, but it still sucked.

It had been over 25 years since I had last attended a GenCon. I managed to arrange a trip to the 2014 GenCon at the last minute. I had spent much of my time attending author seminars, and had been having very little luck finding a good game to play in. So there it was, Saturday night, the biggest night of the con, and all I could get into was a Pathfinder event. Sure, why not? Pathfinder is just like D&D. No problem.

It was a very large event, with dozens of tables playing the same adventure. It took forever to get organized. I barely got accepted into the last table with an opening. I had a choice of pre-made character's and chose a Wizard. Finally, I would get to play a game and do some role-playing. YAY!

WRONG! This was a Pathfinder event, and there was nothing but power-gaming through encounters with hard time limits and our group had gotten a late start already.. Ok, fine, I will just roll with it and have some fun action gaming.

Wrong AGAIN! The very first encounter was an ambush set up by gray dwarves. Roll Initiative. I go last, of course. The first gray dwarf singles my Wizard out as the greatest threat and hits me with a Blindness spell. Saving Throw failed, of course. Save or suck spell, so can't target my spells or do anything productive. Spell's duration is permanent, and there is no healer in the party, of course.

But don't worry, the DM took pity on me. Once the the dwarves had blinded me he had them leave me alone so that I could enjoy spending the rest of the night following around a group of power-gamers that actively shot me dirty looks every time I tried to RP, because it was wasting their time. AWESOME! So glad that I signed up for this.

One unlucky roll ruined an entire night of GenCon for me. To this day I hate Pathfinder, even though I liked D&D 3.5e.

I think that qualifies me as The Unlucky Guy, at least on that night.

Last edited:

Remove ads