• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Untamed Wilds: Caravan Campaign

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
"Yes, we will become targets, but we heard of these rumors before we left the caravan. Our part in this has just begun." - Bolo

San-Bolo's list of stuff to do while in town:

2 Steel Dirks: damage 10: hindrance 10 - trade
Laminar Pighide Bracers: Cover = 10%: Soak = 6: Hindrance = 3 (party keep)
1 pair Laminar Deerskin Greaves: cover 10: soak 7: hindrance 4 (party keep)
1 Deerskin Belt: cover 10: soak 7: hindrance 5 (party keep)
1 Chitin Buckler: cover 10: soak 18: hindrance 9 (party keep)
(if someone hasn't claimed these someone needs to, but if no one wants them we should trade them in or use them for parts to repair our own armor)

(also get armor repaired)

(2) (2) measures of dried blackberry leaves (San-Bolo will keep 2 measures, one of the other pair should take the other)
8 Quartz Crystals: 10 clams each (trade for credit)
4 pieces of Amber: 10 clams each ( trade for credit)
(since we have no other place to trade keeping these gems on us would leave them open for theft or loss)

4 dark red stones, 4 gold Ansylin coins, 2 silver earrings
1 coral necklace
(trade in? San-Bolo don't want jewelry and I don't know if we want to keep the Ansylin coins for evidence)
GM: Some of the items like the dirks from Bolo and the chitin buckler from Sheldon were added to the collections list after they were exchanged for other gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Giodavi's Epiphany

Sannit says, "It might be that they've been too busy and are finally getting around to harassing Southroad Fair or that they found something nearby that has peaked their interest. Whatever their secondary motivation we can be sure that if they're spending money, they plan to make money. I doubt they will give up after this attempt.

Giodavi smacks his own forehead. "By all the powers that be, why did I not see that? I think you set onto it there. It's the pine fuel. That's why we are building the extra grist mill. We've discovered a good stand of corn, north of the forest so that we can grind our own meal, but we've learned to grind the hardened dead pine to extract a very flammable clear liquid. One of the collectors has been tinkering with small batches and has found that by combining it with rendered pig fat, it makes an excellent burnable oil that produces much light."

He nods his head looking at Lyndha. "That has to be it. They don't want to buy or trade for it. They want to confiscate it. Greedy Sheep Slippers!"

Lyndha frowns at his vulgarity.

Tellerian said:
"What if those Shimadow were sent to kill US, and mistook the hunters for the so-called "dragon slayers"? What if the guildmasters aren't concerned at all with the commercial success of the town? What if they see Giodavi as attempting to form his own mercenary guild? We ourselves may be to blame for this unwanted attention. Not only that, but if the guildmasters figure that out, their focus might shift to US. We might all become targets."

Sheldon holds up his hand in a pausing gesture at this thought.

"We have been withholding one more piece of information that may clarify the Magistry's intentions."

He takes the parchment and hands it to Giodavi.

"As we were unsure how to approach the subject of this parchment, I think it now appropriate to share it in the light of what has transpired in conversation."

Giodavi looks at the parchment and points to the seal at the bottom. "This is the seal of the Hand of the Magistry. It's the official title for the head of the Assassins' Guild. The person in that position changes periodically. It isn't the person who is important, but the position means this hit was sanctioned by at least one of the Magistrates."

Lyndha who has been listening quietly and watching everyone's faces gestures for the parchment. "None of you can read... I thought as much. There's no reason any of you should or likely could have learned. Giodavi cannot read either."

She unfurls the document so that the words are visible to all and begins to read:

"Southroad Fair is a community in open rebellion to the Magistry. They must be thinking that their distance will prevent any recourse."

"While it is too far to send an army, a specialized unit could accomplish much. Pick your unit. Use as few Ansylins as possible. Discover and disrupt their main source of income. Kill as many outliers as possible."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit says, "So the slaughter was intentional, not just a maniac getting out of hand. That tells me a lot about who we're dealing with. It will take them awhile to miss their agents and possibly even longer to know that they did not disappear on accident. I think we will have time to finish these other rumors before we have to deal with this again." To Giodavi he says, "I don't want to tell you your business, but they will surely send a covert unit to investigate the loss of their man before they send more force. Keep an eye out for suspicious strangers."

Bolo says to Lyndha, "Can you teach us the secrets of these symbols so may read them?"

Sannit nods, "A useful skill indeed. So, where do we want to go next?"

MacConnell

A New Life: Day 14

OOC: The next day holds many necessary tasks to be accomplished. Commissioned armor needs to be acquired, trade conducted, and things need to be identified. All business concerning specific people in town should be conducted in the structures thread. Check the character records and make sure armor is up to date. http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...r-The-Developing-Community-and-Its-Structures

GM: Lyndha has agreed to teach anyone to read at any time she is available, but customers must come first. This will allow for plenty of time for each character when we are in town.

Indigo takes the unidentified herbs, tubers, and the hand and visits the herbalist to she what she can learn of them. Sheldon agrees to join Sannit in trading collectables that are not needed. He is okay with acquiring store credit for everything and asked how the others feel about this. Sheldon also votes to pursue the rumor of the Hollow of Bones next since it was originally surmised that the Haunted Tree may be yet beyond the party's abilities.

As the party is going about its necessary tasks, Sheldon offers, "We should lease one of those bunkhouses on a longer term basis to store our gear and attach our two lizard skulls to the outside for decoration, maybe some of the bones Revan kept from the last one, too, and make some design."

OOC: Check the items to be traded before they are removed from party inventory.

OOC: Items to be Traded:
2 Steel Dirks: damage 10: hindrance 10
8 Quartz Crystals: 10 clams each
4 pieces of Amber: 10 clams each
4 pieces of Rubelite: 100 clams each
4 gold Ansylin coins: 1000 clams each
2 silver earrings: 10 clams each
1 coral necklace: 1000 clams

OOC: Items to be Kept:
20 Knobbed Lizard Talons
24 Jeweled Spider Fangs
Laminar Pighide Bracers: Cover = 10%: Soak = 6: Hindrance = 3
Laminar Deerskin Greaves: cover 10: soak 7: hindrance 4
Deerskin Belt: cover 10: soak 7: hindrance 5
Chitin Buckler: cover 10: soak 18: hindrance 9

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
OOC: that puts the total for 5560 credit. since we've got that much why don't we keep the talons and fangs and have them added to our custom gear. won't that add to soak with no real hindrance penalty?

GM: Look at Sheldon's character record. He had talons added to bracers. There is considerable soak added with very little hindrance. It is a good move. Talons and fangs can be added to existing gear or new gear. Make a post in the structures thread for what you want.

"I like those ideas," Sannit responds to Sheldon, "but that was before we knew we had so much money. We should scout out a good place to build on. I thought Tor's design for a meeting hall was a good plan. At the very least we could have a good storage space with no rent attached. The lizard skulls would be good décor. By building our own we can work displaying them into the design, give them a roof to keep the weather off, and have room for others. And here's paranoid Sannit coming back, but we should think about what happens if we get attacked there and how to defend it."

San-Bolo attend the reading lessons from Lyndha and put real effort into it. They suggest staying two days and setting out on the third morning for our next quest and will agree to investigate the hollows first, saving the dreaded tree for last.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor and Merin spend all the time they can learning to read, especially Merin, who seldom takes a break of any kind.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
San-Bolo make no objections to Merin and Tor's claims, but Sannit says, "We can look into hunting lizards, but it might be too time consuming to devote too much effort to right now."

When not engaged in party business around town or lessons with Lyndha San-Bolo will scout the area around Southroad Fair. Bolo enjoys the walk but Sannit occupies his mind with terrain and possible defensive advantages.

"Giodavi might think the distance protects him, but greed and lust for power are strong motivators. Those savages in Asylim might just be foolhardy enough to send a larger force," he says to Bolo. She smiles in support, but turns her attention back to a pretty flower.

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Aust-Revan have quietly taken in what the others have said about the predicament that Southroad Fair and their party find themselves in. Over the course of the day, they discuss among themselves what they believe that they contribute to this exercise. Both come to the conclusion that the more information gathered, the better off they would be.

During the conversation during dinner, Aust proffers, "Perhaps we could perform a little reconnaissance, perhaps even spread lies to mislead these guildmasters and their mercenaries. I don't like being the hunted, and I will not tolerate it quietly."

Revan: "Yea, I agree. Aust and I were fortunate in the encounter with the shimshadow to remain uninjured." She narrows her eyes. "I won't find myself in those straits again. I know this is dark, but perhaps we do more than discover, distract, and mislead them. Perhaps it would be to our benefit to make their retainers disappear, the unfortunate recipients of some most heinous mischief."

Her darkness surprises Aust a little. She could be brooding, even melancholy. However, this new tact troubled him, even if he agreed it might be a good idea. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to be the hunter rather than the hunted.

Aust: "Giovadi, I presume that you wish to protect your budding slice of civilization. I'd say we do as well. So, in that vein, I think we have questions.
Who here besides us are, in your opinion, the most likely to have something to gain by, say, having you out of the way, or who might side with the Magistry...the guilds...those who would be opposed to your home here?
"

Revan, with a wry smile: "Keep your friends close." Aust nods and chuckles, "Something like that...yes."

Revan: "I would most like to meet them. Perhaps root around in their head awhile."

Revan contemplates utilizing the way to detect, move, and perhaps even plant memories in an advisory's head.

Aust: "Giovadi, should we be concerned about the possibility of a larger force?"
GM: +1 Commercial skill has been added to Aust's character record

MacConnell

A New Life: End of Day 15

OOC: As evening wears into night of the following day the party finds itself in the Boar's Head as is the usual culmination, the day having been spent negotiating supplies, discussing building, and learning to read. With the elimination of the threat to the West, he Southroad Seekers have become and integral part of the developing community and the evening has become the time for involved discussions.

Sannit said:
"Giodavi might think the distance protects him, but greed and lust for power are strong motivators. Those savages in Ansylim might just be foolhardy enough to send a larger force."
Giodavi -
"Your assessment may not be far off. I am basing my opinion on two factors. First, I think this to be a split decision. Not all of the Magisters are so malevolently greedy. The Magistry is composed of 7 members. One is Shimadow, 2 are Amiradthan, and 4 are Ansylin. One of the Amiradtha and 2 of the Ansylins are more level headed and think more long term."

"Second, as a former Magistry Marshal, I understand war and the movement of troops. You all have traveled back and forth for years, so the distance between here and Asylim seems less with common use. To move a large force that distance would require a massive amount of food and water, not to mention rigid discipline. An army would likely take twice the time it took the Silk Caravan to travel the same distance."

"
I do expect further action. I expect it in the form of smaller, more specialized units, even without the consensus of the entire Magistry. However the assassin you finished was communicating his progress, it will take some time before a second action can be initiated and more time to reach us."
Aust said:
"Giovadi, I presume that you wish to protect your budding slice of civilization. I'd say we do as well. So, in that vein, we have questions:

Who here, in your opinion, is the most likely to have something to gain by, say, having you out of the way, or who might side with the Magistry...the guilds...those who would be opposed to your home here?
"
Giodavi -

"Obviously the molevolent members of the Magistry has much to gain by removing me. Their whole aristocratically controlled factional system of social governing is fattened by taxation and dues. Their ultimate goal would be to put a sycophant in charge who would fleece a portion of every transaction and send the monies to Asylim, also ensuring everyone is a dues paying member of some guild."

"
All citizenry residing here from Asylim are expatriates. They would all be fined or killed if the Magistry gained control. Others are from Boga City, which is currently working toward furthering our development."

Sheldon -

"
I think you should look into developing some methods of being proactive to engage this attempt at a hostile take over rather than reactive. Employing us as a counter mercenary unit is helpful to you, us, and the community, but you should also establish a revolving scout system to post lookouts as far south as feasible to aide in acquiring advance information. Scouts built for speed, which means looking into collecting mounts and establishing a livery. We are farther from Boga City than Asylim. We cannot count on the friendly city to save us from the hostile one with distance being a factor for both."

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit strokes his beard and thinks for a moment. "No we cannot count on Boga to save us, but everyone needs friends. Do you have any direct contact with Boga? Someone we can talk to? Would it be worth it to have closer contact with another large city if it makes Asylim think twice about moving on us in force?" he asks Giodavi.

"I like the idea of scouts and of course they will need to be armed for protection. When we are in town I would be willing to work with any new recruits you have to make sure they at least now how to swing a blade. It would also give us an opportunity to view these people close and see if there are any suspicious characters."

Remove ads