• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Untamed Wilds: Caravan Campaign

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 53: Speaking with Lyndha, Part 4

OOC: Point of Note for Period Terminology:
There is absolutely no concept of a controlled or illegal substance. These are very very modern concepts. In fact, there are no written laws at all, of any kind.

Tor points out,
"This Kif might be a seriously debilitating substance. Prolonged use might be dangerous. Perhaps it is as Merin says, an attempt by the guild in Asylim to weaken our community by turning our inhabitants into addicts. We should warn people about its use."
Lyndha gives a small polite laugh,
"You might as well warn the people about drinking too much Pine Vine Mellow or Rosewater. No. I have no problem with the buying and selling of spices for commerce. It is each individual's responsibility as to how they are to be used, though I did not buy any kif for resale.

Most of the folk will allocate things to a festivity of having a caravan in town. If any specific problem occurs, we will handle it individually.

I do not see whatever malevolence it is that you are thinking might be involved
."

Last edited:

MacConnell

Day 53: Speaking with Lyndha, Part 5

Bolo asks Lyndha,
"How were you able to detect us from so far away? Is there something you can use to enhance your range?"
Lyndha smiles and returns to her seat.
"I have been at this for decades. At first, I could only sense things by touch or at very close range. That range seemed to change over the years. It happened almost like a surprise. I can sense things at unbelievable distances, now.

I have trinkets like all of you wear that grant me some advantage to my inherent abilities, but they are unrelated to this skill. There are things that can be used to increase the range of divination, but I cannot hide there use and, therefore, do not use them.

I once discovered that a quiet pool of water can be used to greatly enhance clairvoyance. I also discovered the danger. Merin, you carry an item that can greatly enhance your ability to manipulate thermal way. I do not know what it is. I can sense it. Use it sparingly
."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit waits and listens to what Lyndha says and replies with a smile, "I was going to go see the caravan anyway, so don't think I was going to start any trouble over the kif. People can do as they please. As to any malevolence at hand, what I see is a spice that has left the entire town unaware of anything happening this morning. If planned properly it could leave Southroad Fair vulnerable to attack. I would rather plan around an attack that never comes than not plan for an attack that does come." With that San-Bolo leave to visit the caravan, hoping to see friendly faces and hear some news.

MacConnell

Day 53: Departing the Trade Store

Sannit waits...
"I was going to go see the caravan anyway, so don't think I was going to start any trouble over the kif. People can do as they please. As to any malevolence at hand, what I see is a spice that has left the entire town unaware of anything happening this morning. If planned properly it could leave Southroad Fair vulnerable to attack. I would rather plan around an attack that never comes than not plan for an attack that does come."
Lyndha -
"I am not a military strategist. I did not think of that, but I will remember it. I would like to think of this as a one time occurrence, but I am not naive. The caravan is on the road at the north edge of town."

Sheldon -
"Slow up Sannit. We should all come."

As the Seekers depart for the caravan, Clavo pauses in swinging his axe to nod. Some activity does begin about town, as well. Those that are up and about seem no worse for wear.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Lyndha said:
Lyndha gives a small polite laugh,
"You might as well warn the people about drinking too much Pine Vine Mellow or Rosewater. No. I have no problem with the buying and selling of spices for commerce. It is each individual's responsibility as to how they are to be used, though I did not buy any kif for resale.

Most of the folk will allocate things to a festivity of having a caravan in town. If any specific problem occurs, we will handle it individually.

I do not see whatever malevolence it is that you are thinking might be involved."

Tor says, "I'm not saying that people shouldn't enjoy themselves. I'm not even saying that people should be told that the town has enemies in Asylim. But they should be told that over-indulgence could lead to the endangerment of the town's safety from the likes of bandits, raiders, and other hostiles. The way it is being sold is insidious; the first sample being free, in order to make the customer crave more, then subsequent doses cost handsomely. That methodology does not sit well with me. I must respectfully disagree with you; I do see a danger here, a malevolence."

When Sannit moves to depart, Merin and Tor follow, not forgetting that the business of liquidating some of their excess finds still awaits.

Tor is especially interested in talking with the blacksmith about the possibilities for armor, with the limited supply of metals and fuels that has thus far been found.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
As everyone else is leaving, Saemund approaches Lyndha.
"Madam, if I may trouble with a question about, trinkets. Do you know of a special way of constructing them that will enhance strength, motility or prowess in combat?"

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Day 53: Departing the Trade Store, Part 2

To Tor as he and Merin depart, Lyndha says,
"You may be right. I hope not, but you may be right."

Saemund approaches Lyndha.
"Madam, if I may trouble with a question about, trinkets. Do you know of a special way of constructing them that will enhance strength, motility or prowess in combat?"
Lyndha nods,
"It is more simple than you would imagine. It is not a matter of construction, but rather one of composition. You can sense that a particular item offers augmentation, some feathers, some stone, some metals, etc. The material must already have its proclivity. We, who can sense such things, combine them for convenience of carry.

As to prowess in combat, no. That is a learned skill. While various substances can augment inherent abilities, such as strength, motility, persona, or will power, I know of nothing that can grant prowess to a skill.

As your skill with sensing and manipulating way grows, you will notice that you have a tendency or affinity for certain materials over others. I, myself, have this toward metals; whereas, you will notice that Maeli wears talismans made from feathers
."

MacConnell

Day 53: Approaching the Spice Caravan

As the party gathers on the road and begins heading to where the Spice Caravan is camped, Sheldon shares an idea.
"Thinking about what Lyndha said about Asylim knowing that Southroad Fair hired help; but no one should know that we are that help, I have an idea.

We should circle around and approach the caravan from the North. We are obviously a mercenary unit, but in approaching town from the North, we could be anyone. Heading at the caravan from town, someone might deduce who we are and it could interfere with our dealings, much more so any attempt to get information.

We are carrying all our spoils, and Turtle and Myth are not with us. Some bit of ruse may work well to our advantage for gathering information.

What say you
?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads