• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Untamed Wilds: Caravan Campaign

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund responds,
"I like the plan, but won't we be somewhat recognizable? How many mercenary units have men my and Tor's size in them? An intelligent person might discover our ruse. We may need to disguise ourselves​."

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 53: Approaching the Spice Caravan, Part 2

Saemund responds,
"I like the plan, but won't we be somewhat recognizable? How many mercenary units have men my and Tor's size in them? An intelligent person might discover our ruse. We may need to disguise ourselves​."
The party move from the road through the trees, keeping a farther distance than necessary to prevent any wakeful caravan members from seeing their movements. As they travel, Sheldon responds to Saemund.

"It is possible but highly unlikely as Lyndha conveyed that our specifics have not been communicated. There is no real way to disguise your heights, but even that is better suited when coming from the north. Being originally born in Boga City, I know that peoples of paler hair and skin come from that direction. I am counting on that fact to aid us.

Since you mentioned, I also will only speak in Centrin. I will defer to Sannit when it comes to Ansylin as if I do not speak it very well. In a situation like this, the less we speak, the better
."

Taking sufficient time to make a long way around, the approach from the north is first met with 4 forward guards, who appear to be a bit lax in their duties. Upon seeing the group approach, one of them whistles. As we are not presently posing a threat, the guards do nothing more than greet and allow the party to pass.

As it is now about mid morning, several peoples of the caravan are up and about their duties of preparing for departure. There is a man giving orders who appears to be the caravan master. An animal handler is aligning the pack teams. Most members are gathered around the cook wagon.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
San-Bolo take a long look around, trying to find any familiar faces from their former caravan days. If they see no one they recognize they will head over to the caravan master first. Leaning on his spear and making every effort to be friendly, Sannit says, "Greetings. We are hunters returning from an extended trip into the wilds. Are you open for trade or possibly do you have any fresh news? My mate and I like to keep track of what is happening in the world around us."

While Sannit talks, Bolo keeps an eye on the people around them. She will not use Way to scan anyone, since she knows others can sense these things now, but will use normal skills of perception to deduce if anything is out of the ordinary.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Not wanting to form a crowd, Tor and Merin stay back, watching San-Bolo, and making sure that no one they know from the old days is in the vicinity. If they see someone they know, Tor will approach that person and start a conversation, while Merin will move closer to San-Bolo, and signal them that it's time to depart. Their objective is to remain as scattered as possible, because if we are seen as a group, then people will start to associate us in that way.

MacConnell

Day 53: Approaching the Spice Caravan, Part 3

OOC: GM Note:
Since the party had separated from the Silk Caravan, Sheldon would have engaged in teaching everyone Centrin. I will retroactively apply some proficiency to each character.

San-Bolo take a long look around, trying to find any familiar faces from their former caravan days.
GM: No one is specifically recognizable in this caravan. In their former days as caravaners, the party has only met the Spice Caravan in passing. No friends or acquaintances were made. No former members from the Silk Caravan are seen among the people.

Sannit says,
"Greetings. We are hunters returning from an extended trip into the wilds. Are you open for trade or possibly do you have any fresh news? My mate and I like to keep track of what is happening in the world around us."
As if practiced at such as a habit, Sheldon also greets the caravan master in Centrin, saying almost the same things but adds...
"Ta' tu' as an taobh o dheas. Cad a dheanann tu' tradail?"
[sblock=Translate]You are from the South. What do you trade?[/sblock]
The activities of the caravan seem normal, not even particularly slow. Everyone remembers how much longer it took to get the caravan moving than it takes to get the party moving. He greets Sannit and Sheldon in the typical boisterous manner of a caravan master. The man is a middle aged Ansylin who is starting to gray a bit about the edges of his hair and beard. He is not armed or armored.

"I would prefer Ansylin, though I do speak Centrin. It appears you can cover both. Hunters, you say? Do you hunt men or monsters? You do not hunt game. We are the Spice Caravan from Asylim. We have cinnamon, coffee, pepper, and some kif.

As far as news, I do not really know what might interest you. We have been in Southroad Fair for a few days, now. We have heard that there were rumors of monsters or haunts in the area but that a local group called the Southroad Seekers has eliminated those threats. We did not hear of any new dangers. The outpost, here, has developed a fuel oil. I do not really know the extent of its application, or if you would be interested.

Other than that, you have quite a look of competence, but unless you are looking for trouble, I would advise to not engage the Southroad Seekers. It is whispered that one of them may be a Bender
."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Once it has been determined that there is no danger of personal recognition, Tor "wanders off" to observe from a distance. Merin, conversely, approaches Sannit, and says, in choppy Ansylin,
"Greetings my friend, past, no eyes face, long time. Meet you again is good? Brown sweet smell good, you buy this now?"

Merin shakes Sannit's hand, and nods to the caravan master, in a friendly greeting, in broken Centrin.
"Having a good day to you. Meet you here is good."

Merin then adds,
"Esta lo possible, puede hablar Amiradthan."

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Day 53: Engaging the Spice Caravan

Merin says,
"Greetings my friend, past, no eyes face, long time. Meet you again is good? Brown sweet smell good, you buy this now?"
Sannit playing along responds,
"Happy Hunting, traveler."

Merin... to the caravan master... in broken Centrin.
Tellerian Hawke said:
"Ta' an la go maith. Anseo maith chun bualadh leat."
Merin then adds,
Tellerian Hawke said:
"Esta lo possible, puede hablar Amiradthan."
Speaking slowly, as only a person well practiced in communication will do, the caravan master greets Merin, then stating simply before continuing,
"Ansylin.

We leave for North. Some trade is possible. Speak to others
."

With that the caravan master gestures free passage then continues about his duties. He does not appear cautious or suspicious in any manner.

GM: I will take it for granted that Merin and Tor crossed over the road and approached the caravan through the trees from the East.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit chuckles and says to the caravan master, "We do hunt game, but we usually eat it all. When I say we 'hunt' I meant we wander and when something tries to kill us, we kill it first. Sometimes it is men, sometimes beasts." He taps his custom pauldron for emphasis. "How are things in Asylim? We met some travelers that told us of some trouble with the caravans, and that some people were killed. In truth I was wondering if it would be worth it to journey to the city to inquire about work for our particular skills."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Seeing that there isn't much more to be gained from hanging around the spice caravan, Tor and Merin (separately) begin to walk back toward the center of town. Once there, Tor whispers to Merin, "No one we know was among the caravan vendors. What did you discover?"

Merin smiles, whispering, "The Southroad Seekers are a vague rumor at this point. No one outside Southroad Fair seems to know our exact number, nor our descriptions. And they suspect that 'one of them' is a bender..." Merin chuckles, "If they only knew that all of us were!"

Tor replies, "Where to now, then?"

Merin's response is that they should visit the blacksmith; "We need to tell him about the lode of iron we found, and also show him the carbone and petrozolfo. I'm interested in learning what that amount of materials will do for us, and whether or not we have a lot more to gather."

Merin also says that he wants to visit Maeli at some point, to see about having a necklace made: "I've had the idea of putting the little skulls inside small pouches, so that I don't look like a witch doctor, walking around and scaring the townsfolk to death."

MacConnell

Day 53: Engaging the Spice Caravan, Part 2

Sannit chuckles
"We do hunt game, but we usually eat it all. When I say we 'hunt' I meant we wander and when something tries to kill us, we kill it first. Sometimes it is men, sometimes beasts." He taps his custom pauldron for emphasis. "How are things in Asylim? We met some travelers that told us of some trouble with the caravans, and that some people were killed. In truth I was wondering if it would be worth it to journey to the city to inquire about work for our particular skills."
Sheldon nods to Sannit and walks away, adding in Centrin as he departs,
"I will walk the caravan then head for the blacksmith."

GM: Though Sannit's use of Centrin is extremely limited, he is able to understand the word 'blacksmith,' catching Sheldons intent.

As Sheldon walks away, the caravan master turns to face Sannit. He seems nervous.
"May I see you right forearm?"

Sannit does not know the significance of the request, but feels no danger in obliging. Afterward, the man audibly sighs and seems visibly relieved.
"I had to know if I were in danger. Your Centrin friend carries no weapons. I pegged him for an assassin. You are wearing better gear than I have ever seen on anyone except some of the Magistry Marshals. Since you do not bear the mark, I will tell you what I can. It takes about 45 days to travel here from Asylim. We were preparing to leave when the Silk Caravan returned. We left 5 days after it arrived.

The word is that there was a disagreement between its master and its owner. I hear that owner has a bad temper. The whole caravan was disbanded. The men were remanded to the wharf district. The women to the rice fields, a horrible fate on both counts, and good reason for me to mind my own business.

I am close to the age where I will be allowed to retire. I would like to see that happen, so I did not make inquiries before I left Asylim. I suspect that the real problem is a power struggle between some of the Magisters, but that is above my pay grade
."

Sheldon and Indigo make a point of making a few stops and visiting with each of the particular spice vendors on their way through back to town. Indigo does not speak at all, she smells a few things and nods to the people occasionally whispering in Sheldon's ear. Sheldon, who still has a few clams, purchases a small amount of kif. Once he and Indigo have cleared the caravan, they pick up pace to catch Merin and Tor.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads