The Unusual Heroes Reborn

Xaltar

First Post
Great Job!

Ziona,

Great job telling the story so far!

For those of you who aren't part of the gaming group, this adventure is a heavily modified version of "Prisoner's of the Maze" from Sword & Sorcery.

There are some pretty interesting encounters in that module that I'm sure will work into a very interesting story. I have also used a few encounters/ resources from the "Forge of Fury" module.

Once the party was at a compatible level, I allowed PC's who had characters from my Unusual Heroes campaign (which has been on a hiatus for a couple of months).

The party merger was successful as of last week and have teamed up to conquer Rappan Athuk, but that will all be revealed in time!!!

- Xaltar

Ziona

First Post
Lord Korvish & The Maze

Lord Korvish smiled warmly after welcoming the adventurers. He quickly glanced at around, as if he were taking mental notes about each one of them. His smile never ceased.

The group looked about room. It had beautiful and amazing artwork on every wall, and lavish décor from floor to ceiling. It occurred to Lox that some of the tapestries and sculptures might be fetch a pretty penny, however, he hadn’t figured out a way to fit any of it in his pouches. How he wished he had brought a larger pouch or sack!

“My Lord, we should make certain that each competitor understands the dangers of the maze,” said Korvish’s assistant.

Korvish looked at the rotund man for a moment, then turned to the adventurers.

“You are here, so I assume that you are all willing to accept the dangers of the maze. Since the reward is so great, I’m sure you understand the danger is equally as great. Have you any questions before you are sent off?”

“Where is this maze,” asked the man with red hair.

“Are we to be supplied with rations?” asked Nuttin.

“Can we keep whatever we find?” shouted Lox.

Lord Korvish cleared his throat to quiet down the bombardment of questions. The furrow left his brow, and his warm smile returned.

“The maze is here, right beneath you,” he began. “I will not be supplying you with rations, however, if you are savvy, you will not have to worry about food. And as for keeping the items you find,” he said, looking at Lox, “there are many treasures to be found in the maze. But what good are treasures if you don’t make it out?”

With that Korvish began to chuckle heartily.
“Very amusing, my Lord,” chuckled his assistant, “very amusing indeed.”

Just then the woman with the bare feet strode quickly, yet gracefully, towards the laughing assistant.

“At least one of us will leave here alive,” she snapped. “Are we to be sent into the maze individually, or as one big happy family,” she growled.

Korvish stepped up to her, not feeling intimidated in the least. His assistant however, had stopped laughing, his smile replaced with a grimace.

“Now calm yourself, mistress. I’ve dealt with more violent, edgy competitors than the likes of you,” he began, “and have taken measures to protect myself, my assistants outside the maze, and my Keep from thugs such as yourself. You will be sent in the same time as everyone else, insuring that the competition is fair,” he concluded.

“Lord Korvish,” asked Dent, hoping to break the awkwardness of the moment, “what if more than one of us defeats the maze?”

Korvish turned calmly from the woman, forgetting she was even present.
“That is a good question, though highly unlikely, I’m afraid. Those who make it out of the maze are awarded a True Wish. It does not matter if it is one or all of you. A True Wish is granted for each competitor who defeats the maze. Now, if that is all, you should really be on your way.”

With the wave of his hand, a bright portal opened next to Korvish.
“There you are. Just walk through the portal and you will be instantly taken to the maze below the Keep. Oh, and try to put on a good show…you will be watched, you know,” he said chuckling again. His assistant managed a smirk, but glanced at the woman and decided not to join in the laughter.

“Wow, Nuttin! Look at that! It’s a real portal,” exclaimed Lox. “Me first! Me first!”
Lox ran headlong into the portal and disappeared.

“Stupid Lumley,” groaned Nuttin.

“Let’s be off before he gets into trouble,” said Dent.
The two friends walked side by side into the portal and disappeared.

“Ladies first,” said the red haired man.

The woman turned quickly, whipping her long braid about before walking into the portal.

The red haired man looked at the man in black.
“After you, my friend,” he said.

“Thank you, but I prefer to let the smaller prey run ahead,” he said with a chuckle of his own.

“Very well,” replied the red haired man. “But any foul play, and you shall meet with my scimitar, sir.” Grabbing the hilt of his blade, he entered the portal.

The man in black entered last, skulking through the portal and into the maze below the keep.

The Adventure Continues…

Ziona

First Post
Order in the Court!

The group congregated at the other side of the portal. They appeared in a corridor that had no beginning. There was no door or opening, just a hall that lead into the maze.

“Hullo, everyone!”

Lox was standing at the other side of the corridor, blocking everyone from entering the maze.

“My name is Lox Lumley! This is my friend Nuttin, and that’s my other friend, Dent Masterson. Who are all of you? We should get to know each other before we get going, don’t you think?”

“That’s not a bad idea, little one,” said the man with red hair. “I am Venus Xyzx of Calim. My scimitar is here to aid in the effort to defeat the maze.”

“Calim? Isn’t that a desert? So that’s why your skin is so red,” blurted Lox.

“My heritage as a fire genasi is reflected in my hair and skin tones, if you must know,” Venus replied flatly.

“Wow, did you hear that, Nuttin? A genasi!”

“And you milady?” asked Dent, trying to shut Lox up.

“I am called Prynne,” she replied. “I have come to obtain the True Wish. If that means assisting you with my skill in the short swords and shadows, so be it. But do not expect my loyalty outside of the maze.”

“Very well,” said Dent, “Just as long as you are a trustworthy ally. I don’t think we’ll be needing any more enemies down here in the maze.”

“You’ll not find an enemy in me,” Prynne added, “But I am not here to make pals,” she said eyeing Lox.

“Nor am I,” said the man in black.
“I am Belasco Banre. Shall we enter the maze, or should we sit and entertain the halflings some more?”

“Now, just a minute, youngster,” started Nuttin. “You show some respect! We’re all here together.”

“And if we plan on getting out of here, Grandpa, we better get started,” snapped Prynne. With that, she strode forward and lead the group into the maze.
“Ha! She called you Grandpa, Nuttin! And you aren’t even a Grandpa yet. This onetime, my Grandpa…”

”LOX! Not now,” said Dent, “Let’s get moving.”

Nuttin took up the rear, mumbling about “baldy” and “respect for elders.”

The group traveled in silence for a short time, when they came upon two doors. Prynne turned to ask which door they would like to enter, when Lox came running to the front of the line.

“I say we open this one,” he said, already picking the lock.

Before anyone could protest, Lox had the door opened and was already stepping inside. As the party followed Lox into the room, they saw a large sculpture that looked as though it had finger-like appendages sprouting all over it.

“Whoa, look at this,” said Lox.

”It appears to be wearing rings,” said Prynne.

“Seven rings for seven competitors,” said Dent. “Though since we don’t know what they do, I wouldn’t suggest putting them on.”

“Too, late, I’m afraid,” said Nuttin. “You lunkhead, Lumley!”

“Well, I feel fine, and I put a ring on. Can I put on another one? You know, this one time, my cousin Lorne put on a ring and his finger turned green and fell off, but that didn’t happen to me, see?”

Lox held up his hand for all to see, and nothing seemed to be happening.

“Perhaps they are merely silver rings,” said Nuttin, “just part of the treasure to be found.”

“Or, perhaps the commoners outside the Keep spoke the truth,” said Belasco.

“What do you mean,” asked Venus.

“I overheard people talking in the marketplace about magical rings. Perhaps these are the ones they were referring to,” he replied.

“I heard that, too,” remembered Dent. “Something about rings that keep you from starving. Do you feel hungry, Lox?”

“Not at all, actually. Do you really think the rings are magical?”

Each adventurer took a silver ring and wore it. None of them felt any different.

“We’ll see in a few hours if you youngsters are right,” said Nuttin.

They continued on to the next door, which Lox cheerfully opened. Without hesitation, he entered just as cheerily.

“Oh, hullo,” he said to the balding human sitting behind a bench with a gavel. “I’m Lox. What’s your name?”

“You are guilty of high treason against Lord Korvish,” he shouted, striking the gavel. “You are to be tried by a jury of your future peers!”

The man motioned to the jury box to his right, where eight fleshy skeletons sat. They looked angrily at Lox through empty eye sockets. Next to the jury box stood two jailers, who each held shackles. They too, looked angrily upon the group.

“C’mon, guys! Look at this!”

“Order in the court! You are guilty of high treason against Lord Korvish! Be seated so that the trial may begin,” shouted the insane judge.

By this time the party was mostly inside the room, keeping their hands near their weapons. Nuttin was the last of the group to enter, and once he crossed the threshold, the door slammed shut behind him.

“BE SEATED!”

Lox quickly grabbed a seat at the left side of the judge’s bench.
“This should be very interesting,” he said.

The rest of the group decided to go along with this madness for the moment, and sat in the seats near Lox.

“How do you plead?” boomed the judge’s voice.

“Not Guilty!” shouted Lox.

The judge looked to the jury. One skeletal figure rose out of it’s seat and hissed, “GUILTY!”

“This is a waste of time,” said Prynne, getting up from her seat and advancing towards the door.

“Order in the court! Order in the court,” cried the judge.

Just then, the jurors sprang to life, extending their undead hands towards the group. The rest of the party leapt up from their seats, weapons drawn, while the judge continued to shout, “Order in the court! Order in the Court!”

The Adventure Continues…

Last edited:

Ziona

First Post
Consequences

Weapons were drawn and the shouting from the judge continued. Meanwhile, Lox had managed to work his way through the impending melee and was unlocking the door that they had entered through. When his picking was complete, he shouted, “Let’s get outta here, this is no fun!”

The judge, angered by Lox’s maneuvers, began shouting “You may not exit the court! You have committed high treason against Lord Korvish!”

Lox turned on his heel and shouted back, “I haven’t done nuthin’ wrong! And you can tell Lord Korvish that his ‘magical’ rings don’t work!”
With that, Lox took off his silver ring and threw it at the judge, hitting him square in the brow, causing him to shout “Order in the Court!” repeatedly.

The party had exited the room and Lox had pulled the door shut. The group waited, weapons ready, for the door to burst open. After a few tense moments, they realized they were not being pursued, and sheathed their weapons.

“Let’s try not to waste anymore time,” Prynne said, eyeing Lox again.

“Lox, you really shouldn’t have thrown your ring,” Nuttin said. “What if it really is a ring that sustains you? You’ll be hungry before long.”

“Don’t worry about me, Nuttin. I’ll be fine.”

“Well, if you were my youngling, I’da tanned your hide a long time ago for those kinda shenanigans.”

The party continued down the hall. There seemed to be many passageways that lead to dead-ends, which Lox insisted on searching each time. Finally, when they came to a passageway that lead to a door, Dent called upon Lox to check it for traps. Finding none, he unlocked the door and skipped inside.

“Oooh, levers! I wonder what they do?” pondered Lox aloud.

There were six levers lining the back wall of the room. Each lever was made of a different metal; Brass, Iron, Tin, Bronze, Silver, and Gold.

“Lox, don’t touch…” cried Dent, but it was too late. Lox had grabbed the silver lever and tugged hard. A moment later, a panel slid out along the wall, revealing a small wooden box.

“Wow! A little treasure chest,” Lox beamed.

“Don’t pull anything else, you fool,” reprimanded Belasco. “Our goal is to survive the maze, after all.”

Lox opened the box which, surprisingly, was not locked. Upon opening the chest, a faint glow began emanating from within.

“Wow…it’s all glowy inside. I wonder what’s in there that makes it glow like that…”
Lox quickly reached his hand inside the box, and pulled out a spiked chain.

“Look at what I found in the box, Dent!”

Dent, surprised that Lox actually found something within the glowing box that didn’t harm him, snatched the chest away.

“You are far too careless, Lox. You need to think more before you react,” he said.

“Let me have a look at that weapon, halfling,” called Belasco. “I believe I can put that to better use than you.”

Lox handed over the spiked chain and looked to Dent.
“I wanna pull something from the magic box,” he cried.

“What do you think, Nuttin?” asked Dent.

“Well, I actually have never heard of such a thing, but it is still glowing, right?”

“I say we let the halfling give it another try,” smirked Belasco.

“Yeah! Lemme try it again, Dent, pleeeeeeze?”

Dent bent down, allowing Lox to reach into the wooden chest. When Lox pulled his hand out this time, he possessed a potion.

“Hey look, it’s a potion that let’s you see in the dark,” Lox said.

“You jokester, Lumley. You can’t identify such things,” said Nuttin with a smirk. “Let me see that.”

When Nuttin took hold of the potion, however, he instantly knew what the potion did. Shocked by the knowledge, he just looked up at Dent.

“By my Granddaddy’s pickle pot, he’s right!”

“What nonsense is this,” Prynne demanded.

“It’s true,” Belasco said. “I can tell you that this spiked chain is magical. I can’t explain how I know it, but I knew as soon as I touched it. It’s impressive magic.”

“Let me try,” Prynne insisted.
She reached her hand into the box and pulled forth a chainmail gauntlet with solid metal knuckles.

“Amazing,” she said. “It was forged long ago by dwarves…it has amazing strength...”

Stunned that the box was still aglow, Dent decided to try, and pulled out what he described as a “Belt of Many Pockets.”

“Ooooh, Dent, please let me have it! I’ll trade you the potion I pulled for the belt with pockets,” cried the excited Lox.

“It glows still,” noticed Venus. “Let us continue to pull from this treasure trove!”

“Wait my friends,” called Nuttin. “We should consider the consequences of our actions. Do you really think that Korvish would allow such items to appear without some sort of consequence?”

“The halfling has a point,” said Venus.

“But what if this chest is here to provide us with items we need to complete our tasks or to help aid us, like the rings,” replied Dent.

“I say we take all the items we can. Sure we’re taking a chance, but we took a chance in entering this maze to begin with,” Prynne added.

The group just stood for a moment, pondering what Nuttin had said. Then Nuttin spoke up. “Dent has a point. Perhaps they are here to aid us…”

With that, the adventurers pulled one after the other until finally the glow from within the box dimmed and slowly died.

“Amazing,” commented Belasco.

By the time they had finished, the group collectively had a wide assortment of potions, rings, armor and weapons. Everyone found something to fit their own personal adventuring style as they divvied up the treasure evenly. Belasco had his Spiked Chain of Sweeping; Prynne had a Vampyric Short Sword; Venus had a Scimitar of Flying; Dent received The Silverman’s Axe; Lox clung closely to his Belt of Many Pockets and Nuttin was happy with The Staff of Evocation. Aside from magical weapons, the group divvied up amulets, bracers, rings, and cloaks. It had been a prosperous find, indeed.

“I wonder if we’ll get another box by pulling another lever,” wondered Lox.

Too preoccupied with their new items, the group didn’t notice Lox reaching for the Iron lever until it was too late. Acid rain poured forth from tiny pin-like holes in the ceiling, causing the party to shriek in pain.

Lox, realizing his error, pulled the lever again hoping to end the spray of pain. Unfortunately for the party, it only increased the precipitation of the rain.

“Dammit, Lumley,” shouted Nuttin.

The group began to scatter, with Nuttin and Prynne making their way out of the room and into the corridor.

Belasco decided to pull the Bronze lever, which seemed to have no effect. Dent pulled the lever closest to him, which happened to be the Gold lever. This produced a mist that sprayed him all over. Instantly he felt revived and made his way from the downpour. Venus reached for the Brass lever, which caused a set of pillars to drop from the ceiling, narrowly missing Belasco and Dent, who were making their way out of the room. Venus quickly followed behind.

“What is wrong with you!? You could have killed us,” cried Venus angrily. “Are you mad? As Belasco pointed out earlier, the only way to get a True Wish is to make it out of this maze alive! If that is not your plan, perhaps you should venture out alone!”

“I just thought we could get more magical goodies,” said Lox sadly.

“I told you,” said Nuttin, “you can’t get that many treasures without consequences.”

“Halflings…”mumbled Prynne.

Dent sighed. “Let’s move on.”

The Adventure Continues…

Last edited:

Xaltar

First Post
Well,

Jettok, one of the old Knight's of the Silver Quill ran us through an adventure and a half. This began the characters of Dent(Also Dent in Wrath of the Rebellion), Nuttin (Dr. Midnight), and Lox (Dartan/Varr).

They were about 3-4th level, so I allowed everyone to be 4th level for the start of this adventure.

As the story catches up to the Unusual Heroes I end up merging the two groups around 8th-9th level, although some of the heroes, such as Ziona are at 12th level. Therefore, I'm assigning xp. on a curve to try to align the character levels a bit better.

- Xaltar

Ziona

First Post
Thank you for your interest in the story & for your praise!
Hopefully I will have the next installment of the story up tonight.

As Stan "The Man" might say, Stay Tuned True Believers! :D

Remove ads