The village, Yes, it really is that bad

Pielorinho said:
Saw it Friday night, and I agree with most of what was said above. If you want to go see it, you can actually far improve the movie, IMO, by reading the spoiler below:

it takes place in modern times

Haven't seen it yet, but I'll try this "Pielorinho Technique" to enhance the movie.....

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Personally, I liked it lots. Rewatch value? Maybe not, but it was cool. Anyhow, I did get a neat idea for a DnD monster from this. I'll spoiler it since, well...

When the blind girl was saying about seeing colors for people and stuff, I had this idea that that was how the creatures were, mayhaps the whole race was blind and the reason they disliked red was because they could sense something else, and it was *more* than red to them. So I'm thinking of some sort of monster that can see synaesthetically.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Don't waste your time or money on this.

I am so angry at this thing I can't see straight. I've anticipated this film for months, but as I usually do I've paid no attention whatsoever to spoilers. No, I've not built it up in my mind to the point where no movie would have ever satisfied me.

I don't mind twists, esp. of the kind this director does. Face it: I'm just not the type to figure out anything beforehand, so to me all the twists he's done have been completely out of left field.

That's not why I feel I wasted $5.00 and two hours of my Sunday.

It's because I was actively lied to by the trailer. This is no monster movie, no SF or fantasy within it at all. More akin to the vague classification of 'psychological thriller' without much psychology or thrills in the offing, save the vague horror at a group of people so deluded and self-possessed that they'd let someone die rather than use the means they have at their disposal to save him. A good but stereotypical twist would have been to have the elders kill someone every now and then to 'protect the secret' as it were. That at least could have brought it off as a 'horror' movie.

swrushing

First Post
i saw it and liked it. I too stumbled onto the twist less than halfway thru and really only because my mind was looking for "whats the twist?" all the while i was watching.

"The scene" was great and surprisingly shocking.

I do agree it has little to no rewatch value, which makes repeat business and legs at the box office a non-issue.

A question for those who saw it tho
one of the people i saw it with mentioned a subtitled date presented at the beginning of the film, something like "the 1800's". I did not see it. Was it there? If so, that is annoying because its feeling like cheating on the twist." Do any of you recall it?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
swrushing said:
A question for those who saw it tho
one of the people i saw it with mentioned a subtitled date presented at the beginning of the film, something like "the 1800's". I did not see it. Was it there? If so, that is annoying because its feeling like cheating on the twist." Do any of you recall it?

It wasn't a subtitle, it was the dates presented on the gravestone of the child they were burying in the opening scene. It listed his birth and death dates as "1890-1897".

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Just got back from seeing The Village with my fiance and a few friends. I left the theater with the same feeling I got when I finished sitting through Contact.

I'll echo the sentiments of others who felt a little decieved by the trailer. It's not that I expect trailers to be complete giveaways, but it clearly wasn't as advertised. Much as I imagine I would feel if Alien vs. Predator turned out to be a buddy movie.

Anyhow, I was into it until
the shot of the first one of Those We Do Not Speak Of running underneath the watchtower. I thought, The bad guy is Santa Clause?

As a side bit of annoyance, for
something called Those We Do Not Speak Of, they sure spoke about them an awful lot.
Maybe petty, but it annoyed me.

I'm not sure if the film was intended to have comedic moments, but there were scenes when the whole theater laughed.

I can appreciate the Sci-Fi network's fake documentary in a different light, given that
the blind girl running from the guy in the outfit had a very Blair Witch vibe to it.

Oh well, there are worse ways to spend a Sunday evening. That being said, I would definately recomend this as a rental.

Tewligan

First Post
Well, phooey, this is really disappointing. I've been looking forward to this movie for a while now, but I'm not seeing many positive things said about it anywhere. Crap. Maybe I'll go see it when it hits the cheap theaters - doesn't sound like that'll take too long.

The_lurkeR

First Post
I'm really surprised by the reaction here, I thought it was an excellent film. :)
The audience I saw it with reacted well throughout the movie, and heavy chatter began as soon as the credits started rolling.

If it was done by anyone other than Night, I think peoples reactions might have been different. He's a victim of his own fame in that people now walk into the theaters trying to figure it out, instead of enjoying the movie experience. Rather than feel betrayed by "the twist", I would think people should congratulate him for making them feel and believe like the characters in the film.

I also have to call B*S* on the people who "figured it out from the beginning". There is nothing in the film which telegraphs the end, before Night begins to reveal it. If you happened to guess it, it's nothing other than lucky meta-gaming.

The film was beautiful, well acted, well directed, and with deeper themes than just "the twist". I feel sorry for people who can't see and enjoy it for that.

mmu1

First Post
I haven't seen the movie yet, but had it spoiled (and have to say I don't mind, I won't go see it now and end up annoyed). Having said that, here's one point I was thinking about:

Considering that these people are just living on some nature preserve in the modern day, and don't tell the truth about the outside world... Why do they bother to pretend that it's the 1890's, wear the quaint clothes, etc.? Why not use the real date, and make homespun t-shirts instead? It's not as if they're going to teach their kids the real world history and geography circa 1900 anyway, because their little world is slightly behind the times even by 1900 standards, and the true US history could potentially raise a lot of questions / stir up curiosity.

I can see saying no to technology, but that's completely different than specifically pretending to live 100 years in the past. Hell, the Amish let their children rollerblade - they don't care that it's a modern invention, as long as it doesn't break any of their rules.

The world in the movie is not really internally consistent because of this - it's just designed to be the way it is to trick the audience into making certain assumptions, which seems rather lame...

Gunslinger

First Post
I was really disappointed by this movie. I went in expecting a horror movie based on the trailers, and that isn't what I got at all. Its funny how in every thread about this movie at every board I visit someone has mentioned the resemblance to Scooby Doo, which is exactly what I was thinking as I left the theater.

One thing I didn't get though, was why was the government protecting them by diverting flight paths from going over the reserve and such?

Remove ads