• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Vistani Return

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As inter-planar nomads:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20091009

For the one person reading this who doesn't know, the Vistani were the gypsies of the Ravenloft campaign setting.

In the original module (where I think they were just gypsies) they could pass to and from the mist that trapped the players in Strahd's land.

A major inovation here is to make them multi-racial. Not sure what to think of that.

EDIT: The article actually has a history of the Vistani in D&D, again for the one of you that doesn't know it.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
err, and I wonder were the vistani heritage feat is.

Right now the article is crunchless. Not such a bad thing...but I think something is missing.

Klaus

First Post
Since announcing 5/week articles, it seems WotC has taken articled already finished and chopped them into smaller entries.

Can't say I like this approach.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Since announcing 5/week articles, it seems WotC has taken articled already finished and chopped them into smaller entries.

Can't say I like this approach.
Thankfully, it's not going to be the usual approach. This article was much longer than originally planned, and it had some scheduling issues in development and editing, so we broke it up to make sure every part got the quality treatment. This one-article/multiple-pieces thing isn't going to be a trend setter, so don't worry.

Oh, and the crunch is coming. ;)

Strange decision to begin with fluff not supportet by crunch...

right now you can just guess what vistani heritage may add...

I believe (from pictures) there will be something about dual wielding in crunch.
I also believe there might be vistani related rituals.

Thankfully, it's not going to be the usual approach. This article was much longer than originally planned, and it had some scheduling issues in development and editing, so we broke it up to make sure every part got the quality treatment. This one-article/multiple-pieces thing isn't going to be a trend setter, so don't worry.

Oh, and the crunch is coming. ;)
Speaking of quality:

Are there erratas for the two handed weapon fighter article? The level 16 at will utility seems just too good...

Dragonbait

Explorer
A major inovation here is to make them multi-racial. Not sure what to think of that.

I don't think this is the first time this idea was used. I believe that Vistani in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft contained halflings as well as humans (and a
hag
). I don't have the book here at work, so I can't verify this.

Granted, by the time they were developed in late 2ed they were a race unto their own and you could play as a Vistani/Human hybrid.

Remove ads