• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Voure - angel-men of the mountains

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
here i have for the stats so far for my "mountain men". ;) comments appreciated...

as i said before, i want them to have the same ECL as basic PC races, so let's make sure it balances well.

Vuore
Medium-Size Humanoid (vuore)
Hit Dice: 1d8-1 (3 hp)
Initiative: +0 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft, fly 50 ft (good)
AC: ac (+0 Dex); touch, flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/grap
Attack: by weapon
Full Attack: atk (dmg)
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: sa
Special Qualities: sq
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 10, Con 9, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: skills (?)
Feats: feats (?)
Climate/Terrain: Temperate mountains, forest, and hills
Organization: Pair, band (2-6), or aerie (10-100)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class

The vuore are a misunderstood, aloof people that live high in mountain peaks or ancient forest treetops, and are often mistaken for celestials. These large humanoids are often over 7 feet tall, though their bones are hollow and they weigh much less than one would expect. They dress in modest tunics or finely crafted animal hides. Vuore look similar to humans or elves of impressive stature, and usually sport long hair of all colors of the spectrum, but have no facial hair.
Vuore are able to speak Common, Elf, and Auran, and some do know Celestial. While their appearance suggests they have some sort of connection to extraplanar beings, they are very much mortal.

Combat
Vuores

Vuore Society
Vuore society is highly adaptable to whatever is going on in their region. They are an extremely lawful and cooperative people, and the whole of their society can change in an instant to meet the needs of the people. If the vuore are at war with another race, all of these people can become martial or change their goals to suit the war effort. If the vuore are involved in some sort of undertaking or discovery that will benefit their society, all of the people are adaptable enough to change their lifestyle to facilitate this goal. Normally though, vuore prefer to spend their time as peaceful philosophers.
Vuore have a unique relationship with elves, which refer to them as Aesil. One would assume that the chaotic nature of elvenkind would make the vuore’s intolerant of them, though the opposite is true. As the vuore are extremely long-lived, they have come to understand the elven attitude towards life, and vice versa. Elves and vuore see each other as two races of the same whole, and often cooperate when need be. Though the vuore are said to have a relationship to celestials, they deny any connection.

Vuore Characters
A vuore’s favored class is wizard, and vuore leaders tend to be wizards or wizard/monks. Clerics can choose from the Air, Knowledge, Law, or Protection domains.

i also wanted to give them an ability or 2 to make them more interesting. i got a few suggestions:

Knight Otu: They receive an insight bonus to AC equal to their Wis bonus. In times of need, they may instead apply it to Attack or Spell save DCs, but lose the AC bonus for an amount of time.

Krishnath: Permanent featherfall effect as extraordinary ability (effectively becomes immune to falling damage.)

Gez: Another possibility may be that they apply their Wis bonus, if any, to their Balance, Climb, and Jump check (making them especially at home on ledges and cliffs compared to other people, especially if they have a racial bonus to Wis). A more traditional racial bonus to these skills could be added on top of that.

also, for skills, i think that every member of society should have either a Craft or a Profession. :) maybe a Perform also as an option. or maybe that would just be an automatic skill bonus, to reflect their adaptivity.

that's all i got for now, discuss. :)

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Interresting, you do know that the flight speed itself gives them a +1 Level Adjustment? Adding one additional ability might increase this by one (although that depends on what ability they gain).

Anyways, I like them :D

Geocorona

First Post
Maybe there's a penalty you can impose for operating in close quarters, like in a dungeon. This might keep the race down to the basic level.

Krishnath

First Post
Any form of flight increases the LA by +1. it does not matter if it is at a speed of 5' or 200' per round, neither does it matter what manouverability it is. Either way the ability to fly is quite an advantage (Eliminates the need for climb checks for one thing).

it's on page 11 of savage species, in fact, if the manouverability is good or better it is supposed to be +2 to LA, but personally I think that is overkill. :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
yeah, right :) how lame. oh well, ingore my goals for the ECL then (i'm not giving up the flight, it's one of the basic premises for these guys), but let's try to keep it as low as possible.

Krishnath

First Post
Then I suggest you add the featherfall effect and one or two cantrips as spell-like abilities. You can get away with that without increasing their LA (as just about any first level wizard or sorcerer can cast feather fall and a couple of cantrips.) If you are willing to increase their LA to +2 you could easily add any of the two wis bonus ideas also.

Later,

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, i do like the feather fall (not like they'd need it very often, they fly). i think i'll have to skip the wis insight bonus to AC idea. i don't see why they would need a Climb or Jump bonus (they fly!), but i think i will give them a Balance bonus. maybe they have well-developed inner ears or something. ;)

Krishnath

First Post
Actually, a bonus to balance does make sense in a creature with the ability to fly, think about it, how often have you seen a bird perched on a wire? And how often have you seen said bird fall of that wire? ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
here's some progress, please evaluate:

Vuore
Medium-Size Humanoid (vuore)
Hit Dice: 1d8-1 (3 hp)
Initiative: +0 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft, fly 50 ft (good)
AC: ac (+0 Dex); touch, flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/grap
Attack: by weapon
Full Attack: atk (dmg)
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: sa
Special Qualities: sq
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 10, Con 9, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: skills (?)
Feats: feats (?)
Climate/Terrain: Temperate mountains, forest, and hills
Organization: Pair, band (2-6), or aerie (10-100)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class

The vuore are a misunderstood, aloof people that live high in mountain peaks or ancient forest treetops, and are often mistaken for celestials. These large humanoids are often over 7 feet tall, though their bones are hollow and they weigh much less than one would expect. They dress in modest tunics or finely crafted animal hides. Vuore look similar to humans or elves of impressive stature, and usually sport long hair of all colors of the spectrum, but have no facial hair.
Vuore are able to speak Common, Elf, and Auran, and some do know Celestial. While their appearance suggests they have some sort of connection to extraplanar beings, they are very much mortal.

Combat
Vuores are claustrophobic, and unable to fight in close quarters, underground, or in spaces unable to fit them comfortably.

Feather Fall (Ex): The vuores’ unique anatomy protects them as they fall, providing them with a permanent feather fall effect.
Skills: The inner ears of a vuore are particularly well developed, providing them with a +2 bonus to Listen and Balance checks. Each vuore is born with a particular knack for a talent, providing them with a +1 bonus to any Craft, Profession, or Perform skill.

Vuore Society
Vuore society is highly adaptable to whatever is going on in their region. They are an extremely lawful and cooperative people, and the whole of their society can change in an instant to meet the needs of the people. If the vuore are at war with another race, all of these people can become martial or change their goals to suit the war effort. If the vuore are involved in some sort of undertaking or discovery that will benefit their society, all of the people are adaptable enough to change their lifestyle to facilitate this goal. Normally though, vuore prefer to spend their time as peaceful philosophers.
Vuore have a unique relationship with elves, which refer to them as Aesil. One would assume that the chaotic nature of elvenkind would make the vuore’s intolerant of them, though the opposite is true. As the vuore are extremely long-lived, they have come to understand the elven attitude towards life, and vice versa. Elves and vuore see each other as two halves of the same whole, and often cooperate when need be. Though the vuore are said to have a relationship to celestials, they deny any connection.

Vuore Characters
A vuore’s favored class is wizard, and vuore leaders tend to be wizards or wizard/monks. Clerics can choose from the Air, Knowledge, Law, or Protection domains.

Remove ads