The Walking Dead 3.16 - Welcome to the Tombs (season finale! spoiler alert!)

Hal G

First Post
I enjoyed it overall, I felt both deaths were well done, and yes the Governor is now in full bloom, his colors are out and there is no turning back.
Carl, creepy but had a point.
Overall a good episode, this season was far better than some of the dull streaks they had in season 2.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nah, I think a combination of him running out of ammo in his handgun and him wanting to punish the rest even more by letting them become zombies is what stopped him.

While plausible, there's nothing in the presentation that hints at that, to me.

Anyway the town had supplies and probably more ammo, why would he leave that behind? There were only two 'fighters' with one gun.

Heck, all the townspeople he killed still had weapons, but he didn't strip the bodies either. Why is that? It makes more sense when you take it that he left that woman live on purpose.

His theme now is "kill or be killed" right? Well, with only two guys at his command, is he really going to be able to win on the basis of superior firepower? No. He can have a whole truck full of guns, but there are only three trigger-fingers. He must gain tactical advantage somehow.

He *intended* to leave one person alive to tell the story. That sends the remaining people of Woodbury running to the next leader, the next source of safety, and that's Rick. Now, he's loaded down with a whole bunch of scared non-combatants who are going to be experiencing a notable drop in standard of living. Rick has to feed, care for, protect, and generally ride herd on these people. Rick will have his resources tied up, and have to extend them in ways that they're poorly covered, allowing the Governor to pick away at them. Masterful, really.

Spatula

Explorer
Given that he gave head shots to everyone else, and stopped and *looked* at her, and then held his fire, I'm thinking it was entirely knowing and willing.
I didn't get that sense at all - she was hiding under a corpse, so he couldn't see her. He's about to headshot the body she's hiding under, only to find that his gun is out of bullets. Then he leaves.

The ending was a little odd. I, too, expected to see some real resolution with the Governor, and I'm not sure why he would walk away from Woodbury (or, for that matter, kill his troops). Aside from the fact that he's pretty much certifiably insane now.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Given that he gave head shots to everyone else, and stopped and *looked* at her, and then held his fire, I'm thinking it was entirely knowing and willing.

She was hiding under another body and he had another gun in his other hand...not to mention all of the other guns his newly fallen victims had dropped. I think his anger was just spent, and with that dissipation, his focus & willingness to be thorough in his slaughter just evaporated.

Consider also that the world they live in also gives us an additional wrinkle: any killed with brain "intact" quickly rise again as undead. We've seen this change is fairly rapid- Shane, Milton, etc.- so even if he didn't head-shot all the fallen to ensure there were no survivors, he may have figured that any who DID still live might have to deal with being surrounded by fresh Walkers surrounding them...

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I'd have to go back and watch again - I didn't get any impression he was out of ammunition.
Out of ammunition is the impression I got. But I must admit you make a good argument for him knowing and leaving her alive among the dead. After all it's kind of his m.o.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just checked- not only can you hear the click of him pulling the trigger on the empty gun, you an actually see that the automatic's slide has not slid back into position to fire- the tip of the barrel is still exposed- indiating it is empty.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Just checked- not only can you hear the click of him pulling the trigger on the empty gun, you an actually see that the automatic's slide has not slid back into position to fire- the tip of the barrel is still exposed- indiating it is empty.

I'd give you XP for looking it up, but I must spread it around more first.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Why didn't the governor go back to Woodbury?

Now, why didn't Rick and the gang at the prison go to Woodbury? They have power, albeit a limited amount, including hot water. They have real buildings with real beds in them.

The prison, if whole, is more secure because it's made of brick. However, it's got a very large known breach in the back, a swarm of zombies in the tombs and who knows how many more in other cell blocks, plus the outer fences are a wreck now that the Guv & crew have run over them a few times.

Remove ads