The Walking Dead 3.5 "Say the Word" (spoiler warning)

Fast Learner

First Post
I think that was it. Rick's looking at all the blood on the ground, picks up something and recognizes it, this is where Lori's body should be but isn't there at all. He looks over and sees this zombie that is so full of food that it can't even move. He angrily attacks the zombie who he knows just ate her, contemplates cutting its belly open, gives up in grief.

The key there was probably realizing that the blood on the ground was fresh and that he picked something up that he recognized. Without connecting those to the idea that this must be where Lori died, the rest makes no sense.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
It wasn't clear to me that was what had happened either. Though I figured he was looking for Lori, and saw the drag marks on the ground, I didn't make the connection with the bloated Zombie or Rick's decision to cut it open, which I figured was just part of his psychotic break.

Oryan77

Adventurer
So the zombie was so full that it just sat there taking a rest? It couldn't even move to attack Rick? That's how I am after a buffet, but I'm not a zombie.

I haven't noticed a zombie like that after a feed. Please tell me it wasn't implied that it ate all of Lori? Her body wasn't around, so I wonder if that is supposed to be what happened. I hope not. Then again, he did kill a few others. Maybe they ate some of her? But then why was only one bloated with his hand in his pants like Al Bundy?

That scene was confusing to me also. I thought he was trying to get her wedding ring out of the stomach. But then nothing came of that action; which only made it more confusing.

Also, I may have missed it, but did Carol die? Did it show her body? I thought T-Dog saved her but it hasn't shown her and there were 3 graves.

Ahnehnois

First Post
The grave that Daryl put a flower on was supposed to be for Carol, but as of yet it is unclear what actually happened to her. Her body has not been shown, but they seem to have given up on her rather quickly, especially given how the prisoner that looked to be dead wasn't.

I likewise found the bloated zombie confusing. Definitely needed a rewrite on that scene. I thought Rick was looking for the ring as well, but if fact he finds the bullet that was used to shoot her and keeps that. Frankly it's a directing thing as well; Greg Nicotero is obviously very good with makeup but the really excellent TV directors (Ernest Dickerson did the premiere for example) can make those things intuitively clear.

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
The grave that Daryl put a flower on was supposed to be for Carol, but as of yet it is unclear what actually happened to her. Her body has not been shown, but they seem to have given up on her rather quickly, especially given how the prisoner that looked to be dead wasn't.

I likewise found the bloated zombie confusing. Definitely needed a rewrite on that scene. I thought Rick was looking for the ring as well, but if fact he finds the bullet that was used to shoot her and keeps that. Frankly it's a directing thing as well; Greg Nicotero is obviously very good with makeup but the really excellent TV directors (Ernest Dickerson did the premiere for example) can make those things intuitively clear.

it was unclear to me about Carol, though it was pretty obvious to me that the bloated zombie had eaten Lori.

If you look at IMDB,
the actress playing Carol is only listed as being in 24 episodes, though she may have missed one or two early in season 1 or 2 because she's not a major character.
Double spoiler after this -
the actor playing Daryl is listed as being in only 1 more episode...

Ahnehnois

First Post
it was unclear to me about Carol, though it was pretty obvious to me that the bloated zombie had eaten Lori.
I got that the zombie had eaten her, but it was pretty confusing as to what Rick was trying to accomplish. And the engorged zombie is a little odd; usually they come in swarms and usually they are emaciated; I can't recall a similar one out of all the many they've shown. So it seemed like there might be some explanation as to what it was doing there.

It also seems hard to believe that it could have so completely consumed her. What happened to the bones? Can walkers unhinge their jaws like snakes or something. Not to mention that having a fetus distends a human belly significantly; it seems unlikely that an adult body would fit. It would be very hard for even a hungry walker to consume the entire body.

As for Carol, given what happened with her daughter, it seems entirely possible that we'll see the actor in a future episode, regardless of what state the character is in.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I got that the zombie had eaten her, but it was pretty confusing as to what Rick was trying to accomplish. And the engorged zombie is a little odd; usually they come in swarms and usually they are emaciated; I can't recall a similar one out of all the many they've shown. So it seemed like there might be some explanation as to what it was doing there.

It also seems hard to believe that it could have so completely consumed her. What happened to the bones? Can walkers unhinge their jaws like snakes or something. Not to mention that having a fetus distends a human belly significantly; it seems unlikely that an adult body would fit. It would be very hard for even a hungry walker to consume the entire body.

As for Carol, given what happened with her daughter, it seems entirely possible that we'll see the actor in a future episode, regardless of what state the character is in.

Good question on the walker eating all of Lori. Seems odd that they can chew through bone like that. I can understand how they can be strong, since they no longer are mentally inhibited from doing certain painful things, but chewing all that bone is a lot.

No idea what Rick was doing - I think he's just lost it a bit, and was looking for some closure with Lori. I initially thought it was her wedding band he picked up, but they said it was a bullet on Talking Dead afterwards.

Remove ads