The Walking Dead - Episode 4 - Indifference [Spoiler Warning!]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That was a big old round of stupid from the writers, is what it was.

I can give the character of Rick a pass, insofar as humans are well-known for inconsistent judgement. The writers, however, should have known better. There's a lot of ladies out there who are well and truly cheesed off right now.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I was so-so on it but it did set the stage for another group in the area and Carol to become the go between.

Also, it gives Tyreese a cool down period and provides a story for him to question his morality and even Rick's judgment/right to banish her.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Also, it gives Tyreese a cool down period and provides a story for him to question his morality and even Rick's judgment/right to banish her.

It.. is a little strange. Rick didn't banish her, so much as make it clear that he could not keep her secret, and convince her that the others wouldn't allow her to stay.

I can see his logic. She was teaching kids, but keeping it secret from parents. Then making life or death decisions on her own, without consulting anyone. She claims she'd "stepped up", and brings up how Rick was a better leader than she gave him credit for... But Rick recognizes much of that "better leader" to have been Rick at his worst, not his best.

Basically, Rick has realized that "the ends justify the means" is a good way to be a very bad person.

It.. is a little strange. Rick didn't banish her, so much as make it clear that he could not keep her secret, and convince her that the others wouldn't allow her to stay.

I can see his logic. She was teaching kids, but keeping it secret from parents. Then making life or death decisions on her own, without consulting anyone. She claims she'd "stepped up", and brings up how Rick was a better leader than she gave him credit for... But Rick recognizes much of that "better leader" to have been Rick at his worst, not his best.

Basically, Rick has realized that "the ends justify the means" is a good way to be a very bad person.

It seems to be going to theme that to survive in the setting, becoming a psychopath is genuinely effective...and I think Rick sees her going down the same road as Shane and the Governor in that respect.

Remove ads