The Wayfinders - Expedition to Tempest Isle

Walking Dad

First Post
AC 19 (T13, FF16), HP 46/46, F +5,R+5,W+5
Eldritch blast: +6/+7, 3d6 damage

Glaive nods at Whisper's idea. He has nothing to add at the moment.

[sblock=ooc]

[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper frowns, but nods agreement with Midian's observation.

"If only there was some faster way to get there...a river maybe, or riding animals..."

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Kraken, I don't suppose your people would be able to run distractions of some kind? Make them think we're still out here while we work our way inland?"

Kraken scratches his matted beard.

"Well, I could go ask 'em and then catch you up," he says, although you can detect doubt in his voice. "Not sure I'm happy about exposing them to these things, but... I can ask them."

[SBLOCK=Selc]
If the village is close enough that Kraken can jog to it and then proceed to catch up with the others, he'll set off at a loping run. He'll give the village elders the full story and tell them the rough plan.

"Whatever you do, don't get anywhere near these wulgaru deadfellas, eh? They're devil-devil folk and'll rip yer apart like a shark with toothache. All you'd need to do is make some noise for a bit."

Charisma Check 1d20+1=13
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Whisper frowns, but nods agreement with Midian's observation.

"If only there was some faster way to get there...a river maybe, or riding animals..."

OOC: Selc, have the camp's horses been packed up already? and would taking them get us there faster?

For that matter, IS there a river that moves inland that we could take advantage of?

SelcSilverhand

First Post
OOC: Kraken can reach his village and meet you somewhere on the far side of the slope. His villagers will welcome a chance to fight back against the creatures after facing their depredations for so long.

There aren't any horses in your camp as they would be largely useless scaling the slope and then descending into a jungle on the other side. Once you ascend the slope if you spend some time looking you can probably find a small river that would lead down the slope. You would need boats/canoes to traverse it and the water would be fast moving. I would say that if you go that route you could cut maybe another half day off your journey but it has its own hazards.

jkason

First Post
OOC: Kraken can reach his village and meet you somewhere on the far side of the slope. His villagers will welcome a chance to fight back against the creatures after facing their depredations for so long.

There aren't any horses in your camp as they would be largely useless scaling the slope and then descending into a jungle on the other side. Once you ascend the slope if you spend some time looking you can probably find a small river that would lead down the slope. You would need boats/canoes to traverse it and the water would be fast moving. I would say that if you go that route you could cut maybe another half day off your journey but it has its own hazards.

OOC: Hmm. Would "Wood Shape" allow Midian to create a servicable boat / raft? I belive at his current level he can affect up to 16 cubic feet of wood. And since he can wildshape himself, he wouldn't need to fit in the boat.

I suppose now's a good time to ask, too, how well his ape can move through the foliage without him. I'd figure swinging through the trees would be far more efficient than our human need to walk on feet. Just wondering if us by water would get us there roughly the same time if Garuk were sent on his own through the trees?

SelcSilverhand

First Post
OOC: I'd say yes. Finding a large fallen tree and casting wood shape a few times to create enough canoes for everyone would work just fine.
Garuk will be able to keep up no problem as he was evolved to traverse this type of natural landscape.

Walking Dad

First Post
AC 19 (T13, FF16), HP 46/46, F +5,R+5,W+5
Eldritch blast: +6/+7, 3d6 damage

"I can teleport me and up to two others short distances. Maybe it will help us..." Glaive suggests a bit nervous.

[sblock=ooc]

[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian snaps a finger: "If we can get to the river, in the morning I think I can shape us transport. Unfortunately, morning is the soonest I'll be able to ask the boon."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
With a plan firmly in hand, the group works as quickly as they can knowing that time is short. Captain Irestone, Ruoark, and the remaining crew abandon the camp and make for the ship. They leave a few tents up and some fires burning in case there is anyone observing the area. You quickly gather what few supplies you can before sprinting off into the night. Kraken splits off from the party and heads off to seek out his kinsmen and recruit them for your cause. Meanwhile the rest of the group scrambles up the slope. By noon you have reached the summit of the slope and are once more looking down upon a vast green realm. Dorel scours the beach behind you with his spyglass and can barely make out smoke rising from your base camp. It looks as if someone has burned everything you left behind. He searches the ocean but sees no sign of the ship. You can only hope that Captain Irestone and the others were able to make it clear of the harbor and escaped "the Horror of the Black Depths".
Midian shifts his form and soars above the ridge to search out for any signs of a river. Farther down the slope to the West he finally spots a waterfall that drops into a pool before racing down into the forest. He returns to the group and soars low overhead before turning to the West and leading them onward. You reach the pool by the early afternoon, the sun hanging low in the sky near the far ridge. The jungle around you is a cacophony of animal sounds and the rushing sound of water makes it difficult to hear one another. After marching all night and most of the day, you are near to exhaustion. It will take some time to find some wood large enough to make canoes, but you think you will be able to manage it before the evening is upon you. While the others prepare the site for constructing the canoes, Midian circles the slope in hopes of spotting Kraken and leading him to you.

Glaive
[SBLOCK]
Throughout the trek you are turning over the problem of the undead with demon souls in your mind. The process by which they are bound are still a mystery to you, but the effect is obvious. Sentient undead, limited self control, with some of the powers of a demon bound within. The intact shard you hold sometimes seems cold and slimy in your hands, and other times quite hot to the touch. No doubt the demon within is seething in its prison. You think that you may be able to harness its powers for yourself, given the right methods.
During one of your rest breaks you try several different techniques for channeling energy. After several failures, you finally find something that works. After wrapping the crystal with some copper wire (courtesy of Whisper's spell component pouch) and sprinkling it with drops of blood you feel the shard hum in response to your mental exertion. Manifesting your signature weapon reveals an unpleasant surprise. The weapon seems to glisten with a green slime that drips from the blade. The droplets evaporate before hitting the ground, possibly some form of ghostly ectoplasm? You strike a nearby tree as an experiment and are rewarded with a violent hissing sound as deep acid burns mar the trunk.

OOC: So long as you use the shard as part of manifesting your weapon, you Glaive will deal an additional 1d6 acid damage on a successful hit. You still have one other shard you could modify for another party member I believe.
[/SBLOCK]

Kraken
[SBLOCK]
You dash across the slope with practiced ease. It isn't long before you reach the familiar game trails and runs at the outskirts of your village. The scouts challenge you but quickly usher you into camp when they recognize your face. Once there you rouse your clan mates and quickly outline the situation. There is much uproar over the knowledge of finally having an enemy to strike back at. Five of your swiftest hunters agree to act as a diversion and try to keep the raiding party occupied while your group moves to strike at the enemy camp. Several other men offer themselves to aid in the attack on the strong hold. Once you've given them all the information you can, you grab a few bits of food for the trail and head out to join the others upon the slope.
It is early afternoon when a hawk swoops down out of the sky and shrieks noisily at you. Your sword was nearly half out of its sheath in response to it dropping out of the sky unexpectedly, but you quickly recognize Midian's feather pattern. He circles above you once and heads upslope, veering slightly West to lead you to the others.

OOC - If you like, you can recruit two other hunters (level 1 warriors) to aid you in the assault on the camp. It's up to you whether or not you bring them with you. They will come armed with simple wooden weapons, spears, slings, and the like.
[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads