• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper doesn't say anything at the battlefield, though her face hardens a little at seeing the carnage. Was this what magic led to? Worst was that, for all the horror of it, there was a little voice inside her that just wanted to know what it was that had done this. What spell could have such power? What else could be done with it? Was that wrong?

Maybe there would be answers on that ship, along with their prize.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken considers the wreck of the Archon. After his initial disgust, more at the unnaturalness of the scene than the gruesomeness, he pays little heed to the tangle of bodies.

"No way in at ground level on this side," he says, "Not by the look of things, eh? Any of you got any flying magic though? Maybe we can go in from the top. Middo mate, could you turn into a bird and check for likely ways in?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral answers, "I do have magic that will allow flight for a short period of time. If Midian can find a way in from the top then I shall cast it on the strongest of us and he can transport us over one at a time."

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian shrugs.

"I've got access to a fairly wide assortment of flying shapes. If I can angle to keep the Archon between me and the enemy camps, I can fly over and have a look; an air elemental would let me keep speaking, so I can keep the form on my return if we decide we want to try entry.

I'm less than enthusiastic about what might happen when I reach ... whatever's preserving that sight,"
he says, nodding to the undecaying carnage.

"Do any of you have a spell to allow for long-range communication? After the last scouting trip, I'm thinking a way to summon help at a distance would be much appreciated."

[sblock=ooc]
Elementals have a language, at least, so I assume that means they have the means of speaking, so a wildshaped druid would, too.

I got briefly enthralled at the thought of turning Midian into a Darkmantle, but it looks like Beast Shape never grants blindsight, which would have been what I was after. :)
[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 66/66       
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19

Conditions: None.

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3     
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

[b]Surge:[/b] 8/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Endure Elements, Entangle, Feather Step, Liberating Command, Ray of Sickening, Faerie Fire, Obscuring mist(D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Frigid Touch, Lesser Restoration, Resist Energy, Stone Call, Slipstream(D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Call Lightning*, Hide Campsite, Neutralize Poison, Resinous Skin, Water Walk(D) 
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : Dispel Magic, Freedom of Movement, Geyser, Control Water(D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 2/3 remaining
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"I could become a gargoyle," Whisper muses, gazing meditatively at the hulk of the ship. "Not terribly fast, but strong and tough. I know a cantrip that allows speaking at a distance...but it's not a very long distance. We might have to rely on some kind of signal."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Unless ... Selc, what's the hull of the city made of? He hasn't prepared it today, but maybe some Stone Shape could be of use, but only if the primary material is rock. I'm not sure that it is, though. And I don't think Pathfinder supports graduating from earthbending to metalbending. :p[/sblock]

OOC
[SBLOCK]
Primarily steel from what you can see of the hull plates. Most of the upper areas are closed in buildings with limited roof access. Everything interconnects with covered passageways. All of it is obviously designed to combat flying troops. You can see odd protrusions and domes covering some of the outer towers.
[/SBLOCK]

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

"I can summon a spark of fire or water that mimics a minor cloudburst if we need a signal," he offers. "Either way, if another can accompany me, that might not be a bad idea given the circumstances."

[sblock=ooc]Spark and Create Water are both available to him, and as long as our folks are looking, I think they'd see them.

(medium) Air elemental form, then, with Resinous Skin for a little bonus toughness if something attacks them during the scouting. Whisper-gargoyle along as backup. Sound like a plan?[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 66/66       
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19

Conditions: None.

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3     
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

[b]Surge:[/b] 8/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Endure Elements, Entangle, Feather Step, Liberating Command, Ray of Sickening, Faerie Fire, Obscuring mist(D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Frigid Touch, Lesser Restoration, Resist Energy, Stone Call, Slipstream(D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Call Lightning*, Hide Campsite, Neutralize Poison, Resinous Skin, Water Walk(D) 
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : Dispel Magic, Freedom of Movement, Geyser, Control Water(D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 2/3 remaining
[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
With their arrangements made, Midian and Whisper assume their flying forms. Midian dissolves into a whirling cloud of dust while Whisper's skin turns grey and hardens. Wings sprout from her back, huge fangs from her mouth, and twisted horns from her forehead. The two of them leap into the air and fly off towards the ruined fortress.

From above, the structure looks mostly intact. A few of the taller spires have collapsed down into the city below but the sturdy construction of the fortress means that most survived the crash. The entire front end of the craft seems to be one closed in structure while the rear half is more like the top of a city with towers poking up here and there. Many of the towers sport odd tips and protuberances, especially around the outside edges. The stern of the fortress also sports a single closed in structure. You see no signs of any bodies, a strange contrast to the grisly fields outside the ship. You do your best to scout where you can without rising high enough for the other encampments to spot you. From here you can see what look like portals in some of the roofs and walkways. You see a few likely candidates near the center of the ship and others towards the stern. There are none at all that you can see from this distance on the forward structure at the bow.

Shayuri

First Post
Not as fast flying as Midian, and unable to understand his squawking regardless, Whisper decides to head back to the group to report. She wasn't keen on exploring the old hulk alone.

Flying, however, did seem to be a promising strategy to enter the wreck, providing they could figure out a way to bring everyone. There weren't air defenses of note. The two entrenched groups must not have that kind of ability.

(Assuming they return without incident)

The fog curls and billows, and Whisper appears from out of it, backwinging to brake her descent. It is not -graceful-, but it is a landing she can walk away from, even if the impact wrings a grunt from her.

"I'm going to have to practice this more," she grumps. "But anyway...here's what I saw."

(OOC - we can assume she relates what Selc's description says. :))

Remove ads