The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Bloody oath," says Kraken. "I hate being right, eh?" He steps back from the writhing mass. "Whisper, can ya chuck one of yer fireballs at the little buggers?"

Initiative 1d20+6=20

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken back away carefully, but tries to keep himself between then worms and the rest of the group. He holds his falchion out before him, ready, but doubtful about how effective it will be against so many.

[sblock=OOC]
In game terms, move action to get out of the way of Whisper's fireball as much as possible, but won't move back through the party and going for total defence this round.
[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Kraken moves to the fore of the group and stands ready with his falchion. The others move back, dragging the horrified Henrick back out of the way. The swarm pours over Kraken and tries crawl up his legs. He curses and kicks at them, but holds his ground until the others are clear. With a final cry as the first of the slimy things reach his chest he dives backwards as Whisper's final chant unleashes a hellish burst of flames that engulfs the tunnel. It is like standing in front of a blacksmiths furnace as a wave of hot air blasts throughout the tunnel. There are hundreds of high pitched "sqeeeee" sounds each ended by a pop like a corn kernal. The smell of singed worm is nauseating. After a moment though the smoke clears and with watering eyes you can peer down the tunnel at the wreckage.
The swarm of worms has been reduced to an oily patch spread across the hallway. Part of the corpse of Orlef is burned, but not badly. The steel of the tunnel glows a dull red but is already fading from the heat. Kraken takes a few moments to squash the remaining worms crawling about his armor and trouser legs. Henrick looks to be in a state of shock, a look of horror still on his face.

OOC
[SBLOCK]
DC16 fortitude for swarm effects (1d20+10=30)
Fireball (8d6=38) + 50% vs swarms 57 dmg
[/SBLOCK]

jkason

First Post
Midian stares at the quickly-melted swarm, wide-eyed. "I knew you weren't one to cross even back in academy, old friend," he mutters to Whisper. "This is certainly a potent reminder, though," he adds with dry humor.

Shayuri

First Post
"There's a time for subtlety, and a time for...other methods," Whisper says with a little cat-ate-canary smile. "I doubt I can convince these particular foes to run around on a fruitless chase of shadows like last time."

She cautiously steps forward onto the cooling metal, then draws her foot back.

"Unfortunately, there's not much way any of them could have missed that. We'd best get moving."

Her eyes went to the dead man the worms had burst from.

"We should see if he has any clues to this puzzle with him first."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral looks to Henrick. "Focus, young Henrick, and keep alert. This place is not for the wandering mind, as well you should know. Perhaps your friend's death will not be in vain, however, as he may have left hints on how to stop this horror." The beguiler walks forward to join Whisper, slipping a cloth over his nose with one hand and his goggles over his eyes with the other.

"The part of me that is not revolted is quite amazed at the technical side of having a swarm of insects pose as a fallen companion. Is it biological, magical, infernal or a mixture of all three I wonder?"

OOC:
Perception Check: 1d20+19=26
Spellcraft: 1d20+8=11

Dr Simon

Explorer
"If I were you mate," says Kraken to Henrick, "I'd assume that all my friends were dead, even if they don't look it. Trust me, it'll be easier that way." He stamps on the last of the worms and moves forwards, checking the corridor ahead whilst the others search the body.

Remove ads