The Weather

Mad_Jack

Legend
This is the forecast in my city for the week:

It hasn't hit 94 down here in CT this week, but otherwise the same kinds of temps. I'm basically on the coastline, so the humidity's occasionally been pretty nasty.

Humid? Only time I've been in 100 type weather has been in a dry part of the country and breathing isn't hard.

It doesn't even need to be a very hot day to have trouble breathing when the humidity starts hitting that 85-90% range - and here in the New England area, it really is like somebody's rolling randomly to determine the humidity every day.

The closer the humidity and temperature numbers get to each other, the more it starts to suck. 80 F and 80% humidity feels a lot worse than 90 F with no humidity.

Zardnaar

Legend
It hasn't hit 94 down here in CT this week, but otherwise the same kinds of temps. I'm basically on the coastline, so the humidity's occasionally been pretty nasty.

It doesn't even need to be a very hot day to have trouble breathing when the humidity starts hitting that 85-90% range - and here in the New England area, it really is like somebody's rolling randomly to determine the humidity every day.

The closer the humidity and temperature numbers get to each other, the more it starts to suck. 80 F and 80% humidity feels a lot worse than 90 F with no humidity.

I don't think we really get hot and humid locally think that's more up north in Auckland. For the most part it's cold and damp or summer.

Summers a Thursday afternoon in mid February.

delericho

Legend
I've found the last couple of months to be remarkably pleasant in Scotland - warm and sunny, with some but not huge amounts of rain (and mostly at night). We had a couple of days when it was unpleasantly hot, but even then we were significantly lower than in, say, London - I really don't know how people can bear it like that!

The downside is that our 'good' summer is a consequence of the same climate issues that are causing massive problems elsewhere. On balance, I think I'd rather the world wasn't burning. :)

Zardnaar

Legend
I've found the last couple of months to be remarkably pleasant in Scotland - warm and sunny, with some but not huge amounts of rain (and mostly at night). We had a couple of days when it was unpleasantly hot, but even then we were significantly lower than in, say, London - I really don't know how people can bear it like that!

The downside is that our 'good' summer is a consequence of the same climate issues that are causing massive problems elsewhere. On balance, I think I'd rather the world wasn't burning. :)

I live in the Edinburgh of the South. Bit pretentious but basically the Scots sailed halfway around the world and settled the one place almost as cold and wet as Scotland.

Ah! So Scotland is the place to be :)

Over here (Germany) it's rather hot this summer. Two days ago, temperatures peaked at 38°C/100°F, but it's above 30°C for two weeks now. Luckily, a bit of rain yesterday, but overall temperatures are rather uncomfortable.
Plus it's more dry that it should be for a couple of summers now, so not that great for life.

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
I don't think we really get hot and humid locally think that's more up north in Auckland. For the most part it's cold and damp or summer.

Summers a Thursday afternoon in mid February.

New England gets all the different combinations of weather conditions at various times, and sometimes randomly. (In my lifetime I've seen it hit -20 F in the winter and 104 F in the summer, and I've also seen it hit 70 F in December and snow in June.) We get all sorts of weather phenomenon - everything from blizzards to heatwaves, flooding to droughts, thunderstorms, tornadoes, the occasional small earthquake...
As a native New Englander I'm contractually obligated to appear stoic and unconcerned about any and all weather conditions short of the sun going nova or the heat death of the universe, lol... :p

Zardnaar

Legend
New England gets all the different combinations of weather conditions at various times, and sometimes randomly. (In my lifetime I've seen it hit -20 F in the winter and 104 F in the summer, and I've also seen it hit 70 F in December and snow in June.) We get all sorts of weather phenomenon - everything from blizzards to heatwaves, flooding to droughts, thunderstorms, tornadoes, the occasional small earthquake...
As a native New Englander I'm contractually obligated to appear stoic and unconcerned about any and all weather conditions short of the sun going nova or the heat death of the universe, lol... :p

New England stoicism hah. Try British stiff upper lip combined with 150 years of colonial isolation combined with Maori warrior culture influence and ye olde British Public School system left over from the Victorian era.

Ryujin

Legend

Acclimatization also plays into it. In the Toronto area I'm somewhat used to higher humidities, when the temperature spikes. On my first visit to Seattle, in the Spring of 2016, everyone was complaining about the heat because it hit a (then) record of over 90F. To me it felt like 75F.

Yora

Legend
This has been one of the coldest and cloudiest summers in Northern Germany that I can remember in a long time.
Always weird to see news headlines about heat waves and wildfires. Tofay I needed a sweater to go outside because it was under 20° at noon. In August! It was a lot warmer around here back in March. (Which was also really weird.)

Remove ads