• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "What NPC should Blackdirge do next" poll

What NPC should Blackdirge do next?

• Azekar -- Hound Archon Paladin, LG

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Thraguul -- Troll Ranger, NG

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Dremosia-- Medusa Bard, CG

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Nymon -- Minotaur Monk, LN

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Skezex -- Half-Dragon (black) Lizardfolk Druid, N

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Myrnevra -- Succubus Sorcerer, CN

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Vadak Bloodhammer -- Duergar Blackguard, LE

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Broggom -- Hill Giant Psion, NE

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Grethezar -- Dretch (From Dretch to Demon Lord)

Votes: 16 19.5%

Drunken Master

First Post
my problem with the dretch is that i think the story's too big for the boards here. i mean, i imagine the path from lowly demon to demon lord takes hundreds or maybe even thousands of years! like, we'll end up getting one or two pivotal events for each form of demon he becomes, and that's supposed to, for instance, sum up the centuries spent as a glabrezu on his way to balor-dom?
don't get me wrong, i still think it'll end up being super cool, but if if it were me, i'd find the sheer scope of it a little daunting.

shilsen

Adventurer
BLACKDIRGE said:
I am a bit surprised by the results so far. I thought the dretch would come dead last and the half-dragon lizard folk would be near the top. Boy, you guys sure dig the evil stuff, which is ok cause so do I.:D

I've got to admit that just as far as characters go I would prefer a few to the dretch. But having seen your previous work I've got to say you do way better with evil characters, and the viler the better (wonder why :D ), so I figured we might as well pick one that'll give your abilities a chance to shine.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Drunken Master said:
my problem with the dretch is that i think the story's too big for the boards here. i mean, i imagine the path from lowly demon to demon lord takes hundreds or maybe even thousands of years! like, we'll end up getting one or two pivotal events for each form of demon he becomes, and that's supposed to, for instance, sum up the centuries spent as a glabrezu on his way to balor-dom?
don't get me wrong, i still think it'll end up being super cool, but if if it were me, i'd find the sheer scope of it a little daunting.

Yup, it will be a monumental task to say the least and since the dretch is obviously running away from the poll, one I am destined to undertake.:D

But it wont be as hard as you think. The dretch will go through roughly 7 demoninc forms before his transformation to demon lord. Each from will have two or three chapters and as you said will only focus on pivotal events, as it should. The day to day activity of even a demon, would get pretty boring...

Dear diary,

Ate another baby today, tasted like chicken.

Grazzt is sooo dreamy, I wonder if he even knows I'm alive.

Why wont the balors stop picking on me!

And nobody wants to read that.:D

Well, I am going to go ahead and start the first chapter of Grathezar and should have it posted in a couple of days.

But keep voting, the Hound Archon Paladin is not that far behind.

Dirge

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Well, it seems the dretch has won. I will be posting the first installment of Hazergal (changed the name) in the next few days.

I was thinking about posting the chapters themselves in the story hour forum and then putting the raw stats here. I might get a bit more exposure in the other forum and get a few more readers to boot. What do you guys think?

Dirge

shilsen

Adventurer
BLACKDIRGE said:
I was thinking about posting the chapters themselves in the story hour forum and then putting the raw stats here. I might get a bit more exposure in the other forum and get a few more readers to boot. What do you guys think?

Dirge

Sounds like a great idea. In anticipation...

Hackenslash

First Post
Hello BlackDirge !!!
Well I have to admit to being very impressed with this site, this thread and of course YOUR creations. My DM told me to check out this site and this thread for inspiration on roleplaying unique characters and I was very impressed to say the least. I first clicked on your Gargoyle Assassin and was blown away by the detail and thought that was put into your character creation. Anyway I just wanted to say that I would very much like to see the Troll Ranger done as your next Creation as I feel that it would be a very emotional and rewarding tale of a Typically Evil Monster comeing to terms with his Alignment and Racial Differences.
Thanks again for the inspiration and entertainment of your character creations (finished the whole Gragoyle Thread in one night....went to bed at 5am and had to work the next day...DOH !!) Keep 'em comeing.........may your typing fingers never falter.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Hackenslash said:
Hello BlackDirge !!!
Well I have to admit to being very impressed with this site, this thread and of course YOUR creations. My DM told me to check out this site and this thread for inspiration on roleplaying unique characters and I was very impressed to say the least. I first clicked on your Gargoyle Assassin and was blown away by the detail and thought that was put into your character creation. Anyway I just wanted to say that I would very much like to see the Troll Ranger done as your next Creation as I feel that it would be a very emotional and rewarding tale of a Typically Evil Monster comeing to terms with his Alignment and Racial Differences.
Thanks again for the inspiration and entertainment of your character creations (finished the whole Gragoyle Thread in one night....went to bed at 5am and had to work the next day...DOH !!) Keep 'em comeing.........may your typing fingers never falter.

Thank you and welcome.:)

Glad you enjoyed the threads, if you dig a bit there are four more besides Grummok floating around here somewhere. I think someone actually posted a link to the others in Grummok's thread.

I admit, the troll ranger and the hound archon paladin were my favorites going into this but alas, the people want what the people want.:D I will do one of the afore mentioned critters on the next thread following the dretch.

Just out of curiosity, what handle does your DM go by around here? I'd like to thank him for the plug.

Thanks for reading.

Dirge

Last edited:

Hackenslash

First Post
Thanks for the quick reply, I am not sure what Handle he goes under but I will find out soon enough, our group has a game planned this Thursday night, so I will ask him and post a reply. It's funny that he has not mentioned this site before and we have been playing DnD for 18 years in the UK, so I am not sure how long he has been a member. Anyway keep up the good work and you may even get to read one of my own Creations that has been played as a PC soon enough. Critics and suggestions will be much appreciated. Cheers !!!:D

Zarthon

Explorer
I voted for the Troll ranger, (I like reading about the good guys). But it looks like it's going to be another Big Bad :D

Well you know what they say...
If you can't beat them, pray they kill you quickly

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads