• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The whip needs love.(updated last time)

MDragonG

Explorer
I would use the Charger feat as your template here and likely drop the +1 to Dex. Giving someone the +1 to Dex feels too powerful to me.

With that logic why don't i use tavern brawler as my template. it gives +1 str, a weapon prof,monk unarm damage, and a grapple bonus.

when looked at against this feat it's not powerful in my opinion.

Not all feats are created equal.

Thateous

Explorer
Would it be possible to use the whip in a reactive sense? As in reserve an action that when an enemy within range attacks an ally you attack them and if it hits the enemy now has disadvantage on the attack or something like that? or is that too powerful. I imagine the classic troupe of grabbing their wrist with the whip right as they raise it to attack.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
With that logic why don't i use tavern brawler as my template. it gives +1 str, a weapon prof,monk unarm damage, and a grapple bonus.

when looked at against this feat it's not powerful in my opinion.

Not all feats are created equal.

It is much closer to Tavern Brawler. Only getting the bonus action on a hit is a big weakness. Shield Master allows you to take the bonus action when taking the attack action. Not only can you do it before your attacks, but you can still do it if you miss with your regular attacks.

I would replace the double proficiency with allowing you to use Dex instead of Str. It is simpler and fits more within how things are typically designed in 5e.

MDragonG

Explorer
Only getting the bonus action on a hit is a big weakness.
I would replace the double proficiency with allowing you to use Dex instead of Str. It is simpler and fits more within how things are typically designed in 5e.

The first part there is why it's getting +1 Dex, The second part is actually a good idea.

feartheminotaur

First Post
Solid. Two questions:

1) How are you adjudicating Disarm/Trip in your games? In ours we use the attack roll vs target Str (Athletics)/Dex (Acrobatics) check as per the DMG (p271). If that's the case, then the first part is already done (the "successfully hit" part) and the rest isn't necessary, since you don't make a opposed roll - the target does. The feat then really functions as "If you hit as part of a disarm or trip attempt, you may add the weapon damage (plus modifier)" or "when you hit with the whip, as a bonus action you can declare a disarm/trip attempt" and everything is adjudicated normally (target makes opposed Str/Dex roll).

2) If you are using a contested roll, do you want just raw Dexterity modifier, or is the intent to allow someone to add their proficiency bonus? If the latter, the wording of "Dexterity Mod" should be more along "You may make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check in place of a Strength (Athletics) check when attempting to disarm or trip a creature with the is weapon" to call out the skill the PC can use (if trained).

MDragonG

Explorer
Solid. Two questions:

1) How are you adjudicating Disarm/Trip in your games? In ours we use the attack roll vs target Str (Athletics)/Dex (Acrobatics) check as per the DMG (p271). If that's the case, then the first part is already done (the "successfully hit" part) and the rest isn't necessary, since you don't make a opposed roll - the target does. The feat then really functions as "If you hit as part of a disarm or trip attempt, you may add the weapon damage (plus modifier)" or "when you hit with the whip, as a bonus action you can declare a disarm/trip attempt" and everything is adjudicated normally (target makes opposed Str/Dex roll).

While using a whip you make attempt a trip or disarm attempt as a bonus action when you successfully hit with an attack. That is basically the same thing as your last sentence.

[/QUOTE=feartheminotaur;6821354]2) If you are using a contested roll, do you want just raw Dexterity modifier, or is the intent to allow someone to add their proficiency bonus? If the latter, the wording of "Dexterity Mod" should be more along "You may make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check in place of a Strength (Athletics) check when attempting to disarm or trip a creature with the is weapon" to call out the skill the PC can use (if trained).[/QUOTE]

Yes this would clear things up. Thanks

Last edited:

Lehrbuch

First Post
While using a whip you make attempt a trip or disarm attempt as a bonus action when you successfully hit with an attack.

Should clarify that this is against the opponent hit with the successful attack. I assume that is the intent?

By "disarm" do you mean the optional Disarm attack from the DMG? Clarify.

Not clear what you mean by "trip". Do you mean the Shove attack? Not really clear how this is meant to work with the whip, as you make a Strength(Athletics) check to Shove.

You can use your Dexterity mod with attempts to trip/disarm with this weapon

Given that a whip is a Finesse weapon this is probably the case anyway --- depending on what is meant by a Trip and Disarm attack.

The whip counts as a tool.

I assume that this is because you want to be able to take a tool proficiency in Whip? Is that the only reason?

I would just have the Feat give weapon proficiency in Whip instead.

Remove ads