The World is coming to an end - help me make it happen.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Have fun!

-BG

=====================

BigBadDragon
Huge-size Male Lich Red Mature Adult
Red Dragon25 Sorcerer0

Hit Dice: (25d12)
Hit Points: 150
Initiative: +4
Speed: Walk 40', Fly 150'
AC: 32 (flatfooted 32, touch 8)
Attacks: ;
Damage: ;
Vision: Keen Senses, Darkvision (120'), Blindsense (60'), Normal
Face / Reach: 15.0 ft. / 10
Special Qualities: Breath Weapon (Su) 50' Cone of Fire 14d10 fire DC 22, Cannot heal damage on own if has no Intelligence score (but can be healed and Fast Healing works), Crush (Ex) DC 22, Fear Aura (Su) ~ DC27, Frightful Presence (Ex) 210 ft DC 27, Immune to all mind-influencing effects (charms/ compulsions/ phantasms/ patterns/ and morale effects), Immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless it works on objects or is harmless), Immune to damage to STR/DEX/CON as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects, Immune to poison/ sleep effects/ paralysis/ stunning/ disease/ and death effects, Immunity to Fire (Ex), Immunity to Paralysis (Ex), Immunity to Sleep (Ex), Natural weapons as magic weapons (Ex), Negative energy can heal undead creatures, Not affected by Raise Dead and Reincarnate spells/abilities (but Resurrection and True Resurrection return the undead into their former living self), Not at risk from death from massive damage (but destroyed when reduced to 0 hp), Not subject to critical hits/ nonlethal damage/ ability drain/ or energy drain, Paralyzing Touch (Su) ~ DC27, Touch Attack (Ex) ~ Negative Energy 1d8+5 DC27, Turn Resistance +4 (Ex), Undead do not eat/sleep/breathe, Vulnerability to Cold (Ex)
Saves: Fortitude: +14, Reflex: +14, Will: +19
Abilities: STR 32 (+11), DEX 10 (+0), CON * (+0), INT 20 (+5), WIS 20 (+5), CHA 20 (+5)
Skills: Appraise 11; Balance 0; Bluff 20; Climb 11; Concentration 33; Craft (Untrained) 5; Decipher Script 18; Diplomacy 14; Disguise 7; Escape Artist 1; Forgery 5; Gather Information 6; Heal 6; Hide -8; Intimidate 29; Jump 30; Knowledge (Arcana) 27; Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) 8; Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 9; Knowledge (Geography) 10; Knowledge (History) 10; Knowledge (Nature) 9; Knowledge (Religion) 10; Knowledge (The Planes) 10; Listen 14; Move Silently 8; Ride 0; Search 31; Sense Motive 15; Spellcraft 19; Spot 15; Survival 5; Swim 11; Use Magic Device 15;
Feats: Ability Focus, Eschew Materials, Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Snatch, Spell Penetration, Wingover
Challenge Rating: 20
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Possessions:

Spells:
Innate: Locate Object
Spells per Day: (6/8/7/7/7/7/6/6/6/ DC:15+spell level)
Sorcerer - Known:
Level 0: Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic
Level 1: Endure Elements, Identify, Mage Armor, Protection from Good, True Strike
Level 2: Blur, Bull's Strength, Eagle's Splendor, Knock, Web
Level 3: Dispel Magic, Fireball, Haste, Lightning Bolt
Level 4: Black Tentacles, Detect Scrying, Globe of Invulnerability (Lesser), Invisibility, Greater
Level 5: Cloudkill, Dominate Person, Teleport, Waves of Fatigue
Level 6: Disintegrate, Summon Monster VI, True Seeing
Level 7: Grasping Hand, Reverse Gravity, Scrying, Greater
Level 8: Horrid Wilting, Maze, Protection from Spells
Level 9: Summon Monster IX, Time Stop

sukael

First Post
Ibram said:
A juiced up dragon would do the trick... Half-Fiend great wyrm makes for a nice kick in the teeth.

You could also go with some sort of elemental... perhapse a void elemental, or an elemental made up from all four elements.

You could also go for something a bit more unusual then just a smash-crush-kill creature... perhapse some kind of celestial (normal armies are useless because they just end up following the celestial)

or a daemonic entity that posesses all those who cannot resist its power, like above armies sent against it just end up working for it.

...ooooooh. A super-ridiculously-powerful celestial follower of the 'Great Truth', who claims that the current world has to be destroyed if it is to become 'as the Heavens' when it is rebuilt from the void by said 'Great Truth.'

Ibram

First Post
sukael said:
...ooooooh. A super-ridiculously-powerful celestial follower of the 'Great Truth', who claims that the current world has to be destroyed if it is to become 'as the Heavens' when it is rebuilt from the void by said 'Great Truth.'

I love that kind of plot...

have the party contacted by "secret good group" to help bring/protect the "golden child / chosen one" then when the chosen one shows up it starts with the end times bit.

then the party has a choice, do they like the world as is or do they want to live in the chosen ones "paradise of eternal bunny happiness"

Psychotic Jim

First Post
There are some great ideas here. The celestial makes for a moral as well as a practical conundrum.

I like the idea of the apocalypse stemming from human hands. Perhaps the crawling horror is not some otherwordly entity but in fact a ever-encroaching or consuming humanity. The ravaging threat could be an army (perhaps a rogue general gone wild with many supporters looting an pillaging or invaders from a "race-x" supremacist nation).

Or perhaps the Great Killing Machine might be literally that, a construct of some sort. The idea of hunter machines going rogue seems to have a lot of appeal. You might do something similar to the Sentinels from the X-men. Another idea is to have an ultrapowerful, advanced drolem (dragonflesh golem) go rogue and think its a dragon (perhaps the SUPREME one). Perhaps, like intelligent golems are in Ravenloft, it was a product of some twisted dragonhunter's design who was TOO obsessed with his work. The drolem, linked mentally with its creators demented mind, wants to kill all other dragons or to proclaim that it it the greatest being in all of existence.

Another classic theme might be "man vs. nature". The natural world has had it with the humanoid races and their destruction of the planet. It rebels by sending all manner of natural disasters as well as fey and elemental creatures to wreak havoc. Leading the charge might be a pack of extremist druids or some great nature spirit.

EdL

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
One things my players almost cornered me on once was why did they always have to save the day when there are armies lying around pulling paychecks? (A good question if you think about it?)
You might even play it up that the mayor, govenor, king, general (whatever NPC is in charge) of this town tells the PCs that "they aren't needed and that they should stay out of the way", or even invite them to see the destruction of said monster at hand. Of course when the battle goes south, it gives the character's a bit more reason to help when the overbearing, pompous NPC then has to say, "About that offer to slay this thing..."

Just a thought. Hope this helps, happy gaming.

I like this! As to the first part, I left a campaign because of just that. We were sent out by the local military commander to find out "what's going on out there". What we found out, in dribs and drabs, was that an invading army was getting set to... Invade! We kept reporting to the commander and he kept poo-pooing us. When we confronted him for the last time he still ignored us, and said he hadn't even reported it to his superiors. At that point I had my character say something like: "Frak this! Do the job you're being paid for, I'm heading in the opposite direction. And I'm not stopping until I'm at least three kingdoms away!"

Tinner

First Post
At the risk of spoiling an excellent comic book for people, I'd reccomend taking a look at Marvel's "Earth-X".
Cosmic beings that reproduce by planting eggs inside planets. When the egg hatches, the world is shattered.
There are some excellent end-times concepts in this series. It's worth a read.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Sheesh...

You people think so small. There's only one answer to this... Nerull. No ones better at mass doom than the god of death himself. Besides you can get some use out of Dieties and Demigods.

Jack

nowhereguy

First Post
Thanks for the help. I definately want to use some kind of terrifying creature. The idea I'm going with is that the army that has gone up against the creature has basically been devastated, and the party has to find another way to defeat the creature rather than brute force.

Remove ads