The World is coming to an end - help me make it happen.

Zelgar

First Post
How about making the creature be only partially existing in the material plane. In order to defeat the creature, the PC must first close the gate that allows the creature to exist in both planes and then have to fight the material component that remains.

Alternately, instead of closing the gate the PC's can attempt to steal one of the Silver Swords of the Githyerki (sp) and go astral to cut the planar link.

Zelgar

Whimsical

Explorer
Right before 3e D&D premiered, WotC published three "apocalypse" adventures that were intended to be used by DMs to end their existing high level 2nd ed. games. Probably to encourage them to start anew with 3e came out.

One of them was The Apocalypse Stone, which I adapted for a 20th level 3e one-shot a few months after 3e came out. It has some good and bad elements. Since I skipped or altered the bad elements, it was a lot of fun. Also, the players were able to uncover the lie that the adventure was supposed to completely keep from them, but went through the adventure for their own reasons.

I don't remember the names of the other two apocalypse adventures. I think Die Vecna Die was one of them.

VirgilCaine

First Post
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031123a

The Necroclasm.

What at first appeared to be a fast-moving cloud of volcanic ash resolves into something far more terrible. Thousands of burning bodies and blackened skeletons tumble and roil in the cloud. Periodically, huge tentacles formed of ash and bodies emerge from the cloud to swipe away buildings and great swaths of trees. The unliving bodies emit a constant thunderous scream, as if a volcano had learned to wail in agony from the fire in its core.

Kristivas

First Post
A locked away and utterly forbidden God that had been banished by his peers to a seemingly-inescapable prison to which there has finally been a way created for him to escape?

6pakofdwarves

First Post
An undead swarm that adds whatever it kills to it. Just apply the swarm template on a much much larger scale. Say a 100000 ghouls swarm. At the heart of the swarm is an artifact, so you have to defeat the swarm and then destroy the artifact that generates it. Plus their is a cult working against the PC's that want's to see the world "cleansed".

Or a bunny, bunnies are scary

shadow

First Post
Personally, I like the idea of a killing meteor (ala Final Fantasy VII) rather than a rampaging monster. Final Fantasy VII did the meteor idea right. The entire planet can see the approaching meteor suspended in the sky several days like a huge star before it impacts. People fall into despair looking at the sky; what can you do about the approaching impact? The PCs will have to undertake some epic quest. I like that approach because stopping the destruction of the world doesn't involve simply killing some super-monster. For example a possible quest could involve getting an artifact that can reverse the path of the meteor (perhaps the same artifact was used by the BBEG to "summon" the meteor).

However, if you want a rampaging beast I would personally sugesst a kaiju-style monster (those Japanese giant monsters). Although "guy in a rubber suit" type B-movies might immediately spring to mind, I think that kaiju style monsters would be very appropriate as a harbinger to the end of the world. If you get over the image of cheesy Japanese B-movies, you realize that some of those monsters are rather freaky looking! With horns and tentacles, they are the perfect bringers of doom. After all, in most fantasy settings dragons, undead hordes, and armies of evil humanoids are hardly enough to freak people out. (Sure they might be powerful, but in a world filled with magic, dragons and undead are hardly unique.) Besides, kaiju-style monsters were used as some of the most powerful oponents in a number of popular video games (such as the Weapons in the Final Fantasy series).

MaxKaladin

First Post
The Vorpal Bunny!
Giant Space Hamsters
an OGRE (tank, that is)

How about some sort of conglomerate beast that flows over the land like the blob and absorbs everything in its path growing ever larger. Regular weapons don't hurt it but are instead absorbed. Magic and magic weapons must be used.

Fieari

Explorer
Take one of these: Amilictli (All-Relentless Thunders) (CR 85)

You can then make it fiendish, and possibly summoned. That way, the party, who stands very little chance in direct combat with it, can attempt to find a way to Banish it away. I think something of this nature is exactly what you're looking for. I mean, the thought of fighting a living, breathing, walking, thinking, F5 (or 6?) tornado with a penchant for destruction is quite impressive and very epic.

And I think it definitely fits in with the imagry you described.

Remove ads